Planning our first cruise to Europe and need some advice!

Alan, thank you so much for pointing out that Holland America one. I missed it somehow and the itinerary looks good! I don't know much about Holland America. Is it a good line? Have you sailed it before?

And Diane, yes, you are right! We are 34 and definitely would love to travel with some other people in our age group. That is great feedback about trying to stay away from Seaborurn and Silver Sea for that reason.

So right now my focus is on Regent Jun 21-29, 2010 Athens, Greece, Delos, Greece, Mykonos, Greece, Santorini, Greece, Crete, Greece, Rhodes, Greece, Kusadasi, Turkey, Istanbul, Turkey

And Holland America ms Nieuw Amsterdam July 7th.

Going to compare/find out more now. Any other info is appreciated!

Holland America is a mainstream cruise line. I have never sailed with them, but from what I have read, they are in the same league as Princess, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. Their strength is great service.

One possible negative is they tend to have an older crowd (mainly on Alaska and New England itineraries). I am not sure if this would hold true for a European itinerary. Someone on these Cruise Critic boards ought to be able to tell you.

However, sailing on a brand new ship is definitely a positive!

I haven't checked the available itineraries for your time frame, but I would at least look at Celebrity's brand new ship, Solstice, which is cruising the Med, and at Azamara. Both would have far fewer kids than RCCL but would offer a better price point than the premium lines you are considering. A step up from those would be Oceania--they have some amazingly wonderful Med itineraries and a small ship to get in to the smaller ports of call. Very few kids, all country club casual, and highly regarded. You might want to check them out too. They have one itinerary (Ionian Inspiration?) that is to die for!

Cathy

Not sure if this has come up in this thread, but is 'smoking' or the absence of it a factor in considering which cruise line to choose? The policies vary quite a bit amongst the cruise lines ... some with very restrictive policies that exclude smoking in cabins, balconies and in most public areas to other lines that have less restrictive policies and allow it in cabins, balconies and have more public areas open to smoking. Just thought I would mention this as being exposed to more smoke than you're happy with, or not being able to smoke where you want if you are a smoker, can come as quite a surprise to those who hadn't given it any thought beforehand.

I haven't checked the available itineraries for your time frame, but I would at least look at Celebrity's brand new ship, Solstice, which is cruising the Med, and at Azamara. Both would have far fewer kids than RCCL but would offer a better price point than the premium lines you are considering. A step up from those would be Oceania--they have some amazingly wonderful Med itineraries and a small ship to get in to the smaller ports of call. Very few kids, all country club casual, and highly regarded. You might want to check them out too. They have one itinerary (Ionian Inspiration?) that is to die for!

Cathy

All of the other cruise lines (including Celebrity, Azamara, and Oceania) offer only 10+ days. The original poster wants a 7-day cruise only.

Holland America is a mainstream cruise line. I have never sailed with them, but from what I have read, they are in the same league as Princess, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. Their strength is great service.

One possible negative is they tend to have an older crowd (mainly on Alaska and New England itineraries). I am not sure if this would hold true for a European itinerary. Someone on these Cruise Critic boards ought to be able to tell you.

However, sailing on a brand new ship is definitely a positive!

We sailed Holland America's Veendam in the Mediterranean two years ago. Wonderful experience! Compared to our other two HAL sailings this was definitely a younger group of cruisers. (Not as many scooters and walkers in the hallways as compared to our Alaskan or Caribbean HAL voyages.) The brand new HAL ship should be a wonderful Mediterranean adventure!

ps. Anyone know anything about Windstar?

Yes, we are going on our fifth Windstar cruise in July. It's a totally different experience then the larger ships; Windstar's two smaller ships, the Windspirit and the Windstar, will carry only 148 passengers.

We have always found a wide age range on these cruises, but most passengers not matter what their age, are active and the majority interesting.

However, I don't go on a cruise to make new friends, I go to spend alone time with my husband, so I usually don't care who else is on the ship.

However, I don't go on a cruise to make new friends, I go to spend alone time with my husband, so I usually don't care who else is on the ship.

I agree -- though I would feel a bit out of place with the majority of people on board MUCH older.

And thanks for the additional info. Unfortunately, many of those nicer lines only do 10+ day sailings, like Alan said. So right now my agent is checking into Holland America and Regent. The Regent ship really seems unique to me, but I need to see how the pricing comes in. I also need to compare the two itineraries.

Going to research that now! :)

• 3 years later...

My Husband and I are taking the Seabourn cruise on 23rd June 2012 and Although aparently we come into the 'old demographic' being 57 and 60 we are generally the last to bed and always have a fantastic time so the term 'old' is subjective. having taken Celebrity, Royal Carribean, Princess and otehr cruises, my favourite is SeaDream and am looking forward to Seabourn. The larger ships have all the facilities but if I wanted to go to a holiday camp I would, to me the smaller ships are what cruising is all about. Making friends and having a ball.

Alan, thank you so much for pointing out that Holland America one. I missed it somehow and the itinerary looks good! I don't know much about Holland America. Is it a good line? Have you sailed it before?

And Diane, yes, you are right! We are 34 and definitely would love to travel with some other people in our age group. That is great feedback about trying to stay away from Seaborurn and Silver Sea for that reason.

So right now my focus is on Regent Jun 21-29, 2010 Athens, Greece, Delos, Greece, Mykonos, Greece, Santorini, Greece, Crete, Greece, Rhodes, Greece, Kusadasi, Turkey, Istanbul, Turkey

And Holland America ms Nieuw Amsterdam July 7th.

If it's any help with the ports here are a few videos made from a couple of (HAL) cruises http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633637

HAL are a high-class operation and I'm going with them again on the NA from Venice on 18th July. All the best, Tony

My Husband and I are taking the Seabourn cruise on 23rd June 2012 and Although aparently we come into the 'old demographic' being 57 and 60 we are generally the last to bed and always have a fantastic time so the term 'old' is subjective. having taken Celebrity, Royal Carribean, Princess and otehr cruises, my favourite is SeaDream and am looking forward to Seabourn. The larger ships have all the facilities but if I wanted to go to a holiday camp I would, to me the smaller ships are what cruising is all about. Making friends and having a ball.

This thread ia about 3 years old, so I assume the OP has already sailed. :)

As for the ages of you and your partner on Seabourne, you are at the young end of the demographic. :D

Have a wonderful cruise - I'm so jeleous!

Archived