Heathrow to Russell Square

chickalo

Hi, We are booked on the Constellation September 5th out of Harwich. We will be arriving in London on the 2nd. We would like to know what would be the best way to get from the airport to Russell Sq. Do we go by taxi, shuttle or subway, keeping cost in mind.

Hi, We are booked on the Constellation September 5th out of Harwich. We will be arriving in London on the 2nd. We would like to know what would be the best way to get from the airport to Russell Sq. Do we go by taxi, shuttle or subway, keeping cost in mind.

We did it last November and it was so easy.

You catch the tube , the blue line [ Cockfosters ] from Heathrow for the princely sum of 4 pounds. I think it took a bit over an hour and Russell Square station has a lift to street level. :)

Howard

"Queen Victoria" 12 day Med October/November 2008

Loved the Tube when we were in London in '07. Doesn't the Tube have elevators at Heathrow and other stations? Thought it did and don't have to move larger luggage up/down escalators.

Denny

There are lifts/elevators at both Heathrow and Russell Square. The tube is definitely the way to go.

A taxi will cost a fortune (at least £ 50 depending on the time of day) and the heathrow express is also expensive and you would still have to get the tube then as well.

Should in theory take about 50mins.

Chickalo

Please beware of the time you will be arriving at the airport. Although the tube can be a good option, if it is crowded and you have a lot of luggage, it WILL be a nightmare. The "rush hour" can last a very long time.

Having said that, it is not a great idea to take a taxi all the way from Heathrow. However, you may like to consider the Heathrow Express [train] and taxi from there if you are travelling at the wrong time.

Sue

Chickalo

Please beware of the time you will be arriving at the airport. Although the tube can be a good option, if it is crowded and you have a lot of luggage, it WILL be a nightmare. The "rush hour" can last a very long time.

Having said that, it is not a great idea to take a taxi all the way from Heathrow. However, you may like to consider the Heathrow Express [train] and taxi from there if you are travelling at the wrong time.

Sue

Sue;

What do you think of using a mini cab? They are cheaper than a regular taxi. That is what I'm thinking about.:)

I live in London and in my opinion, the best way to get from Heathrow to Russell Square is either by taxi (see details below) or by Heathrow Express. You pay more, but it saves you a lot of time and stress!! Makes travel SO much more enjoyable.

We use this taxi company. They are very reliable and reasonable. £24 from Heathrow to Russell Square (W1).

http://www.simplyairports.co.uk

Sales@simplyairports.co.uk

It's a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned!

Can't say I've ever had a problem using the tube from LHR into Central London and we've arrived at all hours of the day. Yes, the tube will be busy during rush hour (when is it not these days?) but I would find it easier just taking the Picc line direct to Russell Square rather than dragging myself and luggage onto the Heathrow Express and then having to find a taxi at the other end.

As to a taxi into Central London from LHR - it's no panacea if you are talking about the rush hour. My idea of hell is inching forward one car length at a time on the M4 and wondering how many tube trains have started and finished their journey into London while I'm still staring at the Heston services information.

Sue;

What do you think of using a mini cab? They are cheaper than a regular taxi. That is what I'm thinking about.:)

You get what you pay for! Most mini cabs will have nothing like the amount of luggage space as a London black cab. They will be a regular car and many are not in great condition. A mini cab driver does not have to have done the "knowledge" and you have to be much more careful checking that they are properly licenced. Finally, you can hail a black cab whereas you will have to telephone for a mini cab which means you would have to have arranged it in advance or wait at the airport for it to arrive.

If you want to use a car from Heathrow to central London, my advice would be to do what we always do in the USA - arrange a car or shuttle bus in advance over the Internet. However, this will not be as cheap as using the train or underground [tube].

Sue

If you want to use a car from Heathrow to central London, my advice would be to do what we always do in the USA - arrange a car or shuttle bus in advance over the Internet. However, this will not be as cheap as using the train or underground [tube].

Sue

Could you suggest a car or shuttle bus I could reserve over the internet?

I live in London and in my opinion, the best way to get from Heathrow to Russell Square is either by taxi (see details below) or by Heathrow Express. You pay more, but it saves you a lot of time and stress!! Makes travel SO much more enjoyable.

We use this taxi company. They are very reliable and reasonable. £24 from Heathrow to Russell Square (W1).

www.simplyairports.co.uk

Sales@simplyairports.co.uk

It's a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned!

I have emailed them twice and had no response. Do you suggest I call them?

Archived