Cape Liberty Hotel with Free Shuttle and Free Parking?

ddy123

Has anyone placed a bid on priceline selecting the Elizabeth area... If so, does it limit the selections to the 3 or 4 hotels that are close to the outlet mall?

Have you checked the EWR list on Bidding for Travel??? That should give you the info you need for Elizabeth.

i am too much of a control freak to use PL or HW unless really necessary....plus i value my nights and points with various chains too much!

that said do NOT bid on less than 3 stars........

check betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com for info and possible hotels.......seems that the hilton penn station in newark comes up often.

i am too much of a control freak to use PL or HW unless really necessary....plus i value my nights and points with various chains too much!

check betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com for info and possible hotels.......seems that the hilton penn station in newark comes up often.

Note that the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth shows on PL as 2.5*, I think the Courtyard and Residence Inn there are 3*.

I was able to book the Country Inn and Suites for $55 for a Saturday night in late August on PL. That was my opening bid so it might even be available for less...

Have just noticed this thread and as a pure novice in NYC was wondering if you could give me any information. We're considering a visit to NY, incorporating a 5 day Bermuda cruise and as we would probably be flying into Newark, we wondered if the Hilton Penn Station was a good place to stay? It's quoted as having a direct train link to Penn NYC but is it easy to use etc. when you have kids, or would it be more convenient to stay in NYC itself? The cost of hotels seems very much more expensive in NYC than in Newark, obviously because of location, but we wondered if the convenience is worth it:confused:? Also, is it easy/reasonable to get to the port from this location, notice someone quoted $50 for a taxi?

Villauk - tell us more about the dates you would be here and the ages of your children and your budget. The Hilton Penn Station is right at the station. The train takes 18-22 minutes into NY and costs $7 RT for adults and $3.25 RT for children under 12. http://www.njtransit.com The PATH trains are $1.75/pp each way. http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/ Newark is a very urban area and there would be nothing to do by the hotel. Once you came back to your room, you would be a captive of the hotel.

Basically, for folks without a car we recommend three strategies.

1) Stay in Manhattan - this is the most desirable, but the hotel rooms are more expensive as well as the cab fare to the pier in Bayonne ($75-$100)

2) Stay in Jersey City - hotels can be much more reasonable here and the hotels we suggest are close to either the Newport/Pavonia or Exchange Place Path stations. Cab fares from Newark airport to Jersey City and then to the port would be more reasonable ($60 ??)

3) Stay at Newark Airport - hotels at the airport are the most reasonable and there are a variety of train and/or bus options. Hilton Penn Station is the only hotel at the train station. The Robert Treat is several blocks away and all the other hotels are around the airport. All these accommodations are relatively isolated and you would be a captive of the hotel while there.

If you are willing to make a nonrefundable reservation, you can get some good hotel deals through Hotwire, which will allow you to specify 4 people. One strategy is to make a refundable reservation and then watch the hotel prices and switch to a nonrefundable as your travel date approaches and you are sure that the trip is on. Most folks who have done this within weeks or even days of sailing have done very well on hotel prices. I'm sure people will recommend specific hotels to you, but overall any 3*+ hotel in midtown NY or at Newport/Pavonia or Exchange Place in Jersey City will be adequate for your needs. Also, if you can manage your luggage, you can take advantage of public transportation to get to Bayonne and then take a more local cab ride to the pier. Most cruisers have so much stuff that this is not an option for them.

Villauk - tell us more about the dates you would be here and the ages of your children and your budget. The Hilton Penn Station is right at the station. The train takes 18-22 minutes into NY and costs $7 RT for adults and $3.25 RT for children under 12. www.njtransit.com The PATH trains are $1.75/pp each way. www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/ Newark is a very urban area and there would be nothing to do by the hotel. Once you came back to your room, you would be a captive of the hotel.

Basically, for folks without a car we recommend three strategies.

1) Stay in Manhattan - this is the most desirable, but the hotel rooms are more expensive as well as the cab fare to the pier in Bayonne ($75-$100)

2) Stay in Jersey City - hotels can be much more reasonable here and the hotels we suggest are close to either the Newport/Pavonia or Exchange Place Path stations. Cab fares from Newark airport to Jersey City and then to the port would be more reasonable ($60 ??)

3) Stay at Newark Airport - hotels at the airport are the most reasonable and there are a variety of train and/or bus options. Hilton Penn Station is the only hotel at the train station. The Robert Treat is several blocks away and all the other hotels are around the airport. All these accommodations are relatively isolated and you would be a captive of the hotel while there.

If you are willing to make a nonrefundable reservation, you can get some good hotel deals through Hotwire, which will allow you to specify 4 people. One strategy is to make a refundable reservation and then watch the hotel prices and switch to a nonrefundable as your travel date approaches and you are sure that the trip is on. Most folks who have done this within weeks or even days of sailing have done very well on hotel prices. I'm sure people will recommend specific hotels to you, but overall any 3*+ hotel in midtown NY or at Newport/Pavonia or Exchange Place in Jersey City will be adequate for your needs. Also, if you can manage your luggage, you can take advantage of public transportation to get to Bayonne and then take a more local cab ride to the pier. Most cruisers have so much stuff that this is not an option for them.

Thanks for information. We would be looking at the end of October, presume the weather will be similar to here at that time of year but hopefully much warmer in Bermuda? The kids will be 7 & 9 and definitely want to visit the Natural History Museum and see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty etc. Will check out the areas you have suggested i.e. midtown NY, Exchange Place etc. but if you could recommend any specific hotels to look for I would appreciate your views or even any in Manhattan that are reasonable(hard to quote budget as obviously some things outweigh others).

The luggage wont be so much of an issue for us as having flown from the UK we'll be limited to what we can bring anyway!

Please provide exact dates so we can search for you. Hotel prices have been crazy recently and the end of October is peak season. Also, you didn't comment on the refundable/nonrefundable issue. There are thousands of hotels in NY - the problem isn't really finding a hotel, it's finding a nice hotel that fits your budget. Almost anywhere in midtown or downtown Manhattan could work for you - you will never get the perfect location that is near everything. The Museum of Natural History is way uptown on the West Side, the Empire State is right in midtown, and the SOL is all the way downtown at Battery Park, so you will be riding the subway somewhere regardless of where you stay.

Note that the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth shows on PL as 2.5*, I think the Courtyard and Residence Inn there are 3*.

I was able to book the Country Inn and Suites for $55 for a Saturday night in late August on PL. That was my opening bid so it might even be available for less...

that's good.....i don't like to use these sites generally as i can;t get any rewards points (technically!) and sometimes it is harder to get to be able to park your car there when paying a deeply discounted rate.

Have just noticed this thread and as a pure novice in NYC was wondering if you could give me any information. We're considering a visit to NY, incorporating a 5 day Bermuda cruise and as we would probably be flying into Newark, we wondered if the Hilton Penn Station was a good place to stay? It's quoted as having a direct train link to Penn NYC but is it easy to use etc. when you have kids, or would it be more convenient to stay in NYC itself? The cost of hotels seems very much more expensive in NYC than in Newark, obviously because of location, but we wondered if the convenience is worth it:confused:? Also, is it easy/reasonable to get to the port from this location, notice someone quoted $50 for a taxi?

howdy. seems carol (138east) got here before me..................

one thing to know is NYC cabs do not HAVE to drive you to the pier in NJ as they can't pick up return fares...THUS the fare will be super expensive.

let us know more details and we shall be able to help!

We would be looking at the end of October

Better get something booked if you plan on staying in NYC before the prices go through the roof. End of October-NY Marathon Nov 1. LOTS of people in town for a week before the Marathon.

Edited by greatam

howdy. seems carol (138east) got here before me..................

one thing to know is NYC cabs do not HAVE to drive you to the pier in NJ as they can't pick up return fares...THUS the fare will be super expensive.

let us know more details and we shall be able to help!

Thanks for the info, noticed Country Inns on your link has a pier shuttle deal, which sounds good (it does quote for just 2 adults return, presume we'd have to pay for the kids separately?). If we stayed post cruise there, do you think it would be a big hassle getting into Manhattan for the few days? I did look at your link for the tours which pick-up from that area and thought they maybe a good way of seeing most of the sites, then perhaps spending 1 day at the National History Museum before we flew home. Can't confirm exact dates yet as looking at different options on flights etc. but thanks for all your & 138east advice:).

Thanks for the info, noticed Country Inns on your link has a pier shuttle deal, which sounds good (it does quote for just 2 adults return, presume we'd have to pay for the kids separately?). If we stayed post cruise there, do you think it would be a big hassle getting into Manhattan for the few days? I did look at your link for the tours which pick-up from that area and thought they maybe a good way of seeing most of the sites, then perhaps spending 1 day at the National History Museum before we flew home. Can't confirm exact dates yet as looking at different options on flights etc. but thanks for all your & 138east advice:).

since I AM the kid (lol!!) i am not sure.....but i would presume they charge for kids' transportation............should say on their site (but that is probably too easy!)

tours are a good thing............if you stay at the CI after...there is a regular bus that picks up right there (not IN front, but basically there-)

i think carol (138east) has mentioned it before..............so if you wanted to get in to NYC fast and easy to go "museuming" that would work!

tours are good as they hit the big highlights!

Personally, I would try to stay in Manhattan or Jersey City for your NY days. Your kids are young. New York is exhausting. You don't want to have to travel an hour to get back to your hotel and then be stuck out in the vast wasteland of Newark Airport for your evenings.

Let's wait until you finalize your dates - if you have 1 night pre-cruise, you may want to just stay at the cheapest 3* hotel at the airport and get a car service to the port. Afterwards, if you are going to Jersey City or Manhattan, you have the option of a bus from Bayonne to Port Authority Bus Terminal in NY or the Hudson-Bergen Light rail to Jersey City. A cab to Jersey City would still be reasonalble (as opposed to a cab to NY which is expensive).

• 3 years later...

2013 Port Liberty at Newark parking update

If you are planning to spend a night in the New York area before the cruise, consider parking at a nearby hotel and taking a shuttle or taxi to the pier. The parking at the pier is $19 per day and can be free at local hotels. The best deals for hotel and parking are available through http://www.stay123.com which provides free parking a number of hotels close to the airport and pier. Check out their web site for ideas. I booked with them and all went smoothly with free parking and good savings. :)

Trinityreservations.com also has good rates and they quote tax included, but stay123 quotes without tax. Not all park/sleeps are created equal. Please ask for advice before you just book a random park sleep. You need to be selective when you pick a place in Newark to ditch your car for many days.

• 3 years later...

If anyone still monitors this thread some update info would be nice. Been a while since Cape Liberty was on my schedule. I remember staying somewhere in Elizabeth, across from a big mall but don't remember the exact transportation deals. Shuttled from airport to hotel, then hotel to port and port to airport on the return. Any tips would be nice.

Smooth sailing all.

If anyone still monitors this thread some update info would be nice. Been a while since Cape Liberty was on my schedule. I remember staying somewhere in Elizabeth, across from a big mall but don't remember the exact transportation deals. Shuttled from airport to hotel, then hotel to port and port to airport on the return. Any tips would be nice.

Smooth sailing all.

What exact date and ship are you looking at?

For May 5:

Country Inns - $143.25 + $70 port transportation

Embassy Suites - about $169 + $80 port transportation

Trinityreservations.com -Ramada Plaza - $175 for room and round trip port transportation.

The first two are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall and offer free breakfast.

Pretty awesome! Guessing you're a travel agent then? I have vague memories of "Super Shuttle"? Picked it up at the airport to the hotel and bought the rest of the rides from the driver with a voucher system? Am I remembering Cape Liberty or another port.

Thanks for all the help.

Pretty awesome! Guessing you're a travel agent then? I have vague memories of "Super Shuttle"? Picked it up at the airport to the hotel and bought the rest of the rides from the driver with a voucher system? Am I remembering Cape Liberty or another port.

Thanks for all the help.

Nope. Not a TA. Just an expat from NY/NJ with 35+ years of umpteen trips back and forth plus 10 years of cruising from Cape Liberty. You could have stayed at Country Inns and bought the port transportation from them. Emabassy Suites is a really new hotel and the trinity package is also new.

Super shuttle is not a big player at EWR/Cape Liberty.

Hi, just reading a very old post from megr1125 and some updates on taxi/shuttle rates from cape liberty, would it be possible to take one of these (I am a solo traveller ) from the port to the jersey outlet mall as the taxi fare is quite expensive for 1. Thankyou

Hi, just reading a very old post from megr1125 and some updates on taxi/shuttle rates from cape liberty, would it be possible to take one of these (I am a solo traveller ) from the port to the jersey outlet mall as the taxi fare is quite expensive for 1. Thankyou

I found this on the Jersey Gardens web site:

From Newark Liberty International Airport

The Mills at Jersey Gardens offers shuttle transportation from AirTrain Station P4 every half hour starting at 10am Monday-Saturday and 11am Sunday.

You might want to email them to see if there is a charge

https://www.simon.com/contact?mallId=1374

For May 5:

Country Inns - $143.25 + $70 port transportation

Embassy Suites - about $169 + $80 port transportation

Trinityreservations.com -Ramada Plaza - $175 for room and round trip port transportation.

The first two are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall and offer free breakfast.

Hello,

To elaborate:

Country Inn, Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ offer shuttle to hotel from EWR and, also for around $20.00 shuttle to Cape Liberty. We stayed at Country Inn November 2016, complimentary breakfast was great. Shuttle on time from hotel to Cape Liberty.

NewJersey222

Marie