How soon do you like to pack?

I'm not crusing this year, but I just took my suitcase out for airing last weekend (about 3 weeks to go at that point). I've tossed in a few things (bathing suits, etc.) that I'm not likely to be using before my trip. I also have a box of stuff set aside for the trip with a couple new t-shirts, travel sized toileties, books, etc. My packing lists (general ones I've pulled off internet sites and amended) are in the box, too. I'm breaking in new sandels now!!

I usually start picking out what I want to bring with me a month ahead. I usually go on vacations in the summer so I have time to pick out my stuff ahead of time. I pick my outfits and try them on a few times before I pack to make sure my tops and bottoms look good together. I don't pack my dresses into my suitcase until the night before i leave because I don't it to get wrinkled. I love packing and i have unpacking.

Our toiletry bag is always pre-packed. I keep that stocked because we take weekend and overnight trips throughout the year, so this bag is always ready to go.

We leave in about 3.5 weeks for our trip to Arizona for 8 days, so I started getting things together weeks ago. I will get more serious with it the week of our trip and since we are leaving on a Saturday afternoon, I am leaving work 12noon on Friday, so I can get home and finalize everything and not have to rush.

My husband always packs for every trip the night before, and does it very well. He amazes me how he can do that for a weeks vacation, and doesn't forget a thing. I am so indecisive about what to take, but this time will be different, because other than a few new items, everything else I already have. No "new" clothes shopping for this trip; what I have is what I take, period. I am taking on a whole new approach for our vacations.

All toiletries are coming from home; just fill up travel containers with lotion, body wash, etc., and we are good to go. The days of buying unncessary travel toiletries are over for the most part with the exception of sunblock and bug spray, and this is especially true for clothing. For a 8 day trip, I will pack more tops than bottoms and just mix and match throughout the week.

Creativity goes a long way when traveling!

Everyone have a good time on your vacation!

Oh and I picked up one of the over-the-door shoe organizers at Target. I look forward to stashing toiletries AND shoes in it. Perfect!

Unless there are 3 - 4 of you in the cabin sharing, you will find you really don't need one of these. There is plenty of space in the cabinet over the desk mirror for makeup, plenty of space in the bathroom for toiletries.

It really is one less thing to pack if you don't absolutely need it. We used to use one when we cruised with our kids in the cabin with us. It held all kinds of stuff, flip flops, bottles of sunscreen, papers, cabin keys. We really didn't use it in the bathroom for toiletries at all, just cluttery stuff to keep the desktop clear.

Just an FYI in case you want to save a bit of packing space and weight :)

I shop (if I need anything new) for the cruise off and on for a few weeks or even months, pre-cruise and hang things I'm taking that I don't wear often in one section of my closet, such as formal outfits, but I don't actually pack until the day and night before.

I've found if I start packing too early I end up either forgetting just what is packed or rethinking what I'm taking and end up starting all over anyway. Besides, I don't want my clothes in a suitcase any longer than necessary. Plus, a lot of my favorite clothes are things I need and wear right up to cruise time.

Louise 1928,

We have hit 100+ for 18 days in May - a new record - and from now on we will be over 100 during the day, and no cooler than 75 at night until probably October, so be prepared. However, do bring a sweater, shrug, or ?? for restaurants as every inside venue in this state cranks on the air no matter what time of day:eek:. We carry a sweater in our car at all times during the summer and put it on when we go inside and take it off as soon as we get out the door.

If you are going to the high country (Flag, etc.) it will be cooler than the valley floor, but then you probably already know that.

And I am one of those people who packs the night before unless I am leaving at o'dark o'clock the next day, in which case I pack the afternoon before:D. That way, I can't change my mind a zillion times: what's in the suitcase stays and I'm done!

I have a Clothes to Pack and a Things to Pack lists in Excel, also, which I begin editing as soon as I book a cruise. I have several cruises booked right now and each has their specific list. Then the week of the cruise I can just begin to pack (although a lot of my things are already in the cruise closet ready to go.)

Archived