How soon do you like to pack?

I'm headed out on the Conquest in 5 days. I have things organized in my mind, but no suitcases or clothes laying out just yet. My mother-in-law feels the need to start packing more than a week in advance! She has more room to spare than we do though.

I am working from home tomorrow, and since work is slow I'll have time for plenty of "breaks" and may start getting things together.

Normally I start packing a few weeks in advance, leaving only last minute stuff for the night before. This time I fly out Friday morning and haven't started yet since I've worked almost every single day since the beginning of May. Oh well, if I forget anything I'll just go shopping.:p

I get everyting ready over a week's time in categories, undies, swimsuits, tops, etc. The night before I carefully put things, with dry cleaner bags in between, into the suitcase, the toiletries I use in the moning go in my carryon since I don't have to fly. I unpack as soon as possible on the ship. My clothes come out in perfect condition without wrinkles since they haven't been in the suitcase for long....even though I've stuffed.:D

I start getting things ready and laid out, but I DON'T put anything into the suitcase until the last minute. If you start stacking and packing too soon, you will have wrinkles. Normal clothes go into the suitcase the night before and formalwear goes in right before I lock it up!

Starting about 2 weeks before, I start to pile miscellaneous items in a corner of the bedroom to be sure I don't forget them. Then, I'll have my clothes all moved to one area of the closet, but not pack them until the day before.

The toiletry kit is always packed so we don't need to worry about forgetting anything. I do go through it to make sure all the bottles are filled and I do make sure we have new bottles of sunscreen, one per person.

The weekend prior I sort out all the clothing to take and put it onto a rolling rack downstairs. The folded stuff and shoes go below the rack. Jewelry and accessories are attached to each outfit, I use small bags. Everything is ironed, checked for repair etc... I will pack everything either the night before if we have an early departure from home, the next morning if we aren't rushed to leave.

Seeing it all hung together helps to weed out what you really don't need to take and to see how things can be mixed and matched. It also helps to not forget anything. If I pre-pack I always forget what is already packed and in the past have double packed some items. We have no extra bedrooms or closets so this has worked well for us for years now.

I have excel spreadsheets for packing for just about any trip (cruising, driving vacation, camping, weekend getaway, NASCAR race, etc). I make adjustments for each specific trip. If I'm going to be going to Alaska but late in the season, I'll put stuff specifically for that trip in a rubbermaid tote so I don't pack it up with the seasonal stuff when I'm turning the closets. When I buy soemthing specific for a trip, it goes in the tote. I get the luggage out of the attic the week before we leave and I'll work on it a little at a time. I will have everything packed except stuff I'll use the morning we leave before I go to bed that night. The the carry-on is packed in the morning. I'm really not OCD, but packing isn't something I "fly by the seat of my pants" on.

For most trips I make a packing list, adding, deleting, and changing things for days or weeks prior to the trip. About a week ahead (for a "big" trip - a day or two for a short trip), I start laying things out on the guest room bed. This helps me to see how much I actually have and what size suitcase I need. The day before departure, I put eveything in the suitcase.

DH will pack during the week before the cruise. I will leave things on the hangers to avoid wrinkles and pack the day we leave, in about 20 minutes. I know what I'm taking (it's all "up here" - *pointing to my head*) so I just roll and fold neatly right before we leave.

We leave 2 weeks from today. I am shopped out! I thought I'd never say that!

Time to get the suitcases out and make lists this weekend...check the kids clothes for hems, etc...

I need to see what my luggage restrictions are for Continental too.

Our toiletry caddies are replenished after a vacation, so they are always ready to go. Any clothing purchases are made well in advance. I have a mental list of what I'm taking weeks ahead of time. The actual packing starts the afternoon prior, with the nonwrinkle stuff, and the morning we depart the rest goes in.

We leave Sunday. I think I'll make one last trip to the mall today, even though I don't need a thing! :D

I do HAVE to go though because I have to pick up a dress I had hemmed. Might as well get a little exercise while I'm there, right? AND... it's payday. LOL

I've had my suitcase out since last weekend and I'm just leisurely putting stuff in there. On Saturday I will start packing all of our travel toiletries in their bag and checking stuff off my list. So, hopefully by next Friday all I will have to do is fine tune my packing and make sure DH is packed.

Oh and I picked up one of the over-the-door shoe organizers at Target. I look forward to stashing toiletries AND shoes in it. Perfect!

I found one at Dollar Tree, it looks pretty cheap, but it will do for the trip.

I pack a few days before but write a out list out for everything I need. That way (and I learned from experience) I don’t forget something I need for a particular outfit - like a strapless bra. OK – I improvised and wore a strapless bathing suit under the dress. It was like a corset and worked perfectly. Luckily it was a black dress!

M

I have my excel list that I am constantly changing as I remember things to add. I will probably start laying things out over a week ahead of time and trying to see how much I can get in the carryons so we don't have to pay too much extra for additional bags on the plane. This will be my major challenge this year. Since we will be arriving a day early we are thinking of picking up travel size toiletries (toothpaste, saline, suntan lotion, etc) in Florida instead of having to deal with airline regulations.

Archived