Volcanoes National Park health hazard

Travelover

I have read several posts regarding the breathing hazard associated with this excursion. How really severe is it? It may sound like a silly question, but how affected is an asthma sufferer on this excursion? Has anyone had a very severe reaction? We are party of six sailing in early July. I need to book excursions asap, but undecided about this one. What does the sign say when entering? What other excursions talk about this hazard? I didn't see any others.

Apparently, this has been ongoing for the past month or so (or longer) as we visited VNP on 5/3/09 sailing on POA. We definitely smell the sulfur odor as we approach the park, warning sign posted at the park's entrance as you pay the vehicle admission fees and the NPS ranger at the booth will explain or warn about road closures & conditions as she/he hand you the maps, etc.

Basically, all park visitors are advised of threat/risk involved & possible respiratory discomfort, to stay in the vehicle if possible with windows closed & air conditioning on. Glass doors at the Jagger Musuem/VC are kept closed to keep out the fumes/smoke that everyone can see & smell.

I would advise checking with your own primary care provider about proper medical advice with your stated risk factors since you have pre-existing conditions & possible reactions. A N95 type masks, properly fitted & trained on how to wear during the trip to VNP, would be useful.

A reminder that the volcano is and remain active.

• Administrators
I have read several posts regarding the breathing hazard associated with this excursion. How really severe is it? It may sound like a silly question, but how affected is an asthma sufferer on this excursion? Has anyone had a very severe reaction? We are party of six sailing in early July. I need to book excursions asap, but undecided about this one. What does the sign say when entering? What other excursions talk about this hazard? I didn't see any others.

You can check this website -- http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm under Volcanic Fumes for information from the National Park Service about what is happening at the park, and it gives you a link to the air quality monitor.

Even before the current eruption the NPS monitored air quality at the park and there were times when due to wind direction or sulfur emissions some areas were advised as off limits for folks with breathing issues. NPS has always monitored and reported on this; it's not something unique to any ship excursion you are considering. It's inherent in visiting an active volcano.

This particular "eruption" has been going on up in VNP for about the last 14 months. It is a steam plume coming from Halemaumau Crater that usually blows across portions of VNP....so hence, the road closures. There have not been a lot of posts about folks being affected by it. This plume is SO2 gas which is basically odorless. That is why the park rangers must monitor it constantly. It cannot be smelled. The sulfur smell is from the steam vents....another highlight stop in the park.

Depending on how the wind is blowing, sometimes you can see the vog in the air...which can be slightly irratating at times, but not dangerous. This past week we lost our usual trade winds and we became voggy here on the Hilo side. Usually the trades blow the vog over to the Kona side of the island ;). Best advice is if you have breathing problems check with the park rangers for the latest readings and conditions. If the conditions become dangerous, the rangers will close the park...which has only happened once or twice for a few hours in the last year. The majority of folks should be fine and have no problems.

For me the best site for checking air conditions at VNP is the following:

http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/havoso2alert/havoalert.cfm

It is updated in real time every 15 minutes or so. The typical wind direction for the two plumes is towards the SW - this is the standard trade winds movement.

And Kapoho2, I respectfully (but strongly!) disagree with your statement that sulfur dioxide is odorless. "Sulfur dioxide is a heavy, colourless, poisonous gas with a pungent, irritating odour familiar as the smell of a just-struck match," as one of many websites states. Frankly, it stinks.

Fortunately, at the levels of concentration that typically occur in the visitor-friendly areas of VNP it is far below a level that is considered dangerous. But for those with sensitivity, such as asthmatics, the levels can cause irritation with the wrong wind direction.

My husband has COPD and was very effected by the vog. He need his inhaler and other medicines, I was upset because the ship web site described the Volcanos National Park tour as a Level 1 and made no mention of the bad air. Other tours did mention it and so I thought it would be OK. Take care. Have fun

VOG can be present on any of the islands. It's presence or absence is not very predictable. It changes daily. There are certain areas which are likely to be more voggy than others. VNP is one of them. If you are concerned about the effects of VOG on your breathing, you will want to have your asthma medication on hand on all the islands. You may also wish to take a helicopter tour out of Hilo rather than a land tour of VNP.

I should have said that the plume....made up of SO2 and other stuff is basically odorless...at least where visitors are allowed access. If the air is thick with this "stuff" it can throat irritations and breathing problems for some folks.

Yes, it is very unpredictable. Yesterday was a glorious day in Hilo. Today I was in town and it was the voggiest I have seen in a long time. The vog does not smell....it is just there and yucky to look at. It just all depends on how the winds are blowing. Where I live, about 30 miles south of Hilo, the air is crisp and clear today....no vog at all.

Archived