Price change in a week

sooper

So I booked our Alaska cruise just last weekend, and today I got an email from HAL that for the same price of our inside cabin we could be getting an outside cabin now. Is there anything I can do to change our cabins? Does price change like this happen a lot? I've sent an email to our TA but should expect that nothing can be done, right?

If you haven't paid your final amount, from what I understand, HAL will honour the price drop and issue you a refund (or essentially - you pay less for your final amount).

If you have paid your final amount, it seems to be more hit or miss... some say they get the refunds, others say they're offered OBC for partial or full difference in price, and others say they've been offered upgrades to a better cabin category for the same as what they originally paid.

It can't hurt to ask your TA. I always do... and I called ours this morning when I saw the sale on the HAL website, but our original rate is still better than the current rates being offered, so we don't save any money.

So I booked our Alaska cruise just last weekend, and today I got an email from HAL that for the same price of our inside cabin we could be getting an outside cabin now. Is there anything I can do to change our cabins? Does price change like this happen a lot? I've sent an email to our TA but should expect that nothing can be done, right?

Are you paid in full and in the penalty phase? If so, there may be little you can do. Perhaps your T/A will be able to work with HAL and get you something, such as an OBC if not an upgrade. Or maybe HAL will offer you an attractive upsell.

As each sailing approaches, if there are some to many empty cabins, HAL will offer deep discounts to get heads in beds and fill the ship. And, yes, those of us who book early may see reduced prices not generally available to those of us who already are booked and past final payment due date.

Does price change like this happen a lot? I've sent an email to our TA but should expect that nothing can be done, right?
Unfortunate timing - today is the start of a three day sale. You can cancel and rebook, but what that will "cost" depends on how far you are from sailing. Your TA might be able to help.

I called HAL direct and the rep said that I have to have the TA call them. My TA didn't respond to my email or voicemail and now he's off...

Off for how long? Surely he has a manager or supervisor handling his clients and affairs while he is off.

Hi Sooper!

I'm sorry to hear that the price went down so soon after you booked. This happened to us a couple of months ago, with HAL as well. We saw what they called a "flash promotion" and quickly contacted our TA. He called HAL and was told the promotion would only last a few days and the price would go up after the promotion and that we should book immediately. This kind of scared us so we booked and paid right away as the cruise was only 2 months away. 5 days later, after the promotion, the price dropped $1000. I called HAL, but they wouldn't talk to me so I physically went over to my TA and made him call on the spot (it's the only way to get him to work). Anyhow, they wouldn't give a refund or an OBC, but did upgrade us from an inside to an oceanview.

Do contact your TA soon and really push him/her to contact HAL ASAP!

Good Luck!

You should act now as if the price you saw is the three day sale, there are only two days left...... not to state the obvious.

I agree with 'camp' above. Isn't there someone covering for your TA while they are 'off'?/B]

Same thing happened to our cruise for August and we haven't made final payment yet. I just e-mailed our TA. Will let you know what I find out.

If you have not yet reached the final payment due date and the price drop is not restricted to new bookings only, your T/A should be able to get you the reduced price. It's happened to us many times ... in fact, in February only a week after we booked our November sailing, the price went down $500/person. My T/A got us the new lower price.

If you have not yet reached the final payment due date and the price drop is not restricted to new bookings only, your T/A should be able to get you the reduced price.
Not all categories are on sale. For our next cruise only about 5 categories are on sale - out of 15+... If we wanted to change cabins, we could get a better price and/or move to an outside - smaller and in a worse location. Nope.

Gosh, it doesn't seem like booking cruises in advance is worthwhile right now. It would be nice if those who do book early and make deposits or final payments could automatically be given an adjustment in some form without having to do extra work. I like to plan ahead but I wonder if it pays in the long run?

Gerbz - Good to know that you were able to get upgraded. This gives me some hope.

We also got the flash promo and were scared the price would not last and had to pay right away. I didn't know the TA and used them as they had the lowest quote out of the 3 we got. Should've asked for a referral for someone who's more responsive...

sail7seas - The travel agency is closed for today. I'll definitely get on this early A.M. tomorrow. Hopefully I can share a good news then. We have 3 cabins so even if only one can be upgraded that'd be nice.

I'm usually a last minute person so this teaches me to not plan ahead! LOL

Gosh, it doesn't seem like booking cruises in advance is worthwhile right now. It would be nice if those who do book early and make deposits or final payments could automatically be given an adjustment in some form without having to do extra work. I like to plan ahead but I wonder if it pays in the long run?

I agree. The only advantage to early booking is to get a particular cabin or location. Otherwise, it's a hassle constantly following sales and online prices. Next cruise, I'm booking when prices drop after final payment is due.

I agree. The only advantage to early booking is to get a particular cabin or location. Otherwise, it's a hassle constantly following sales and online prices. Next cruise, I'm booking when prices drop after final payment is due.

I have to disagree a little bit. We booked ahead... granted, not HUGELY ahead (as in a year or two), but we booked in April for an October cruise so a little more than 6 months out. While I agree you can get some amazing deals by booking last-minute deals, or even booking after the final payment deadline has passed for people who area already booked, for anyone flying, the potential savings could be lost by having to pay much higher airfare rates.

We were able to book our flights for about $600 return for three people which is an amazing price - the same flights would now cost us over $400 more, and that's still almost 5 months out. If we waited till close to the trip date, the flights would could easily have cost us $600 per person or more.

Jewel has a good point. If you need to book air (depending upon which airports/routes), you may pay so much more for airfare any potential late cruise booking savings could disappear.

We book most of our cruises about a year ahead in order to get the cabin we want. Sometimes we are able to get advertised savings and sometimes not.

Gerbz - Good to know that you were able to get upgraded. This gives me some hope.

We also got the flash promo and were scared the price would not last and had to pay right away. I didn't know the TA and used them as they had the lowest quote out of the 3 we got. Should've asked for a referral for someone who's more responsive...

Hi Sooper!

Yes, there's ALWAYS hope!! :D

Mind you, I did throw a fit in front of my TA as well as the HAL rep who was on the other end of the phone! :p

From that experience, I've learned not to trust the flash promo. So, from what I heard, they throw out a flash promo to sell more rooms. So, if you've got time and all, you can monitor website and see whether or not there's still as many rooms availalbe or if any have sold. If not many sells, then wait for the promo to be over, then the price will DROP! That's what happened on our last cruise. Now, I get my sister to watch the websites like a hawk and if a lot of rooms are disappearing, then I tell her to book. However, if the rooms aren't going, then we WAIT!! :D

Also, when I called HAL, they wouldn't talk to me, they said they'd only deal with my TA. Anyhow, I've learned now that we if we ever cruise with HAL again, we should book directly through them. At least if you would like changes or have questions/concerns, you can talk to a HAL rep yourself. Next time, maybe when you find the lower quotation, perhaps you can call HAL and ask whether or not they'll match it. I can't see why they won't!!

Anyhow, GOOD LUCK! :)

Excellent!!!

its not over yet. Keep monitoring the price (which ever way you use). You may still get more

You make your monitoring to which WEB site except the HAL's Web site? :confused:

Sorry for my english ....:o

Archived