Cruising to Healthy

brooklynfc

I don't use that, but have heard a lot of good things from many who do. I'm another fan of writing it down..it really does make you think about what you are eating.

I wish you hadn't said that about the Grand Slam breakfast..my birthday is next week and I love eating breakfast out! But the thought of all that food makes me sick even thinking of it. Why can't they just serve regular portion sizes!

Tonight I introduced my mother to the Lose It application. She determined that today she ate 1500 calories OVER her allotted 2100 (OMG i wish i got that many lol) with the 2 meals she ate.

Today was her birthday - so she went to Denny's and had a free Grand Slam breakfast (for those not enlightened it's 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon strips, 2 sausage links). She was amazed at how many calories she'd had. You know that you're overeating but you never realize just HOW MUCH until you track it.

I started tracking only 7 weeks ago and I can't believe the numbers myself. Of course tracking makes you think twice, which is good. Do I really want to enter that into my daily log??? That's what i ask before I eat things now. Before it was like "do i want that? yes i do! i shall have that!".

Not the same. lol

Well, that's good then..it means your really making good choices and thinking about what your doing! We've all done it..trust me last night I was hallucinating about fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy and it didn't help I was in a group work out on a soccer field near a strip mall of restaurants and we were all kinda suffering together. But we kept telling ourselves what our big goal was, how good it felt to be in smaller clothes, and all the other rewards of saying "no" to that stuff..at least "no" for now.

I meant the two mini ice cream sandwiches........bethought to myself as a was getting ready to write it ' who does that?' Exact quote. But odd that I've eaten way worse than that and didn't give it a second thought. Like I've eaten an entire tombstone pizza before....years ago....but the only reason i wudnt now is bc i wud be embarrassed to admit it, not bc i cudnt eat it.

Sorry for the abbreviations....tablet.

don't mean to be judgemental as we are all in this together, but you're going to have trouble getting where you want to be if you continue to eat things like cookies and ice cream, regardless of the quantities or the amount of exercise you get.

I absolutely, totally agree.

Please don't be embarrassed, Brooke. Like other have said, we've ALL been there. 2 mini ice cream sandwiches in the long run, is not terrible (I've binged on a whole bag of goldfish before, dipped in cream cheese followed by a very large slice of chocolate birthday cake...I'm sure we've all had our binge moments!). Just pick yourself up the next day and see if you can have just one day of "clean" eating. Then you can choose to do it the next day, etc.

Best of luck. I'm off to Publix today to try to find some new way of doing protein, lol. I'm getting a bit tired of hamburger patties, chicken fajitas, and meatloaf! I'm thinking a roast in the crock pot...either pork roast with jerk sauce (we can buy the Grace sauce from Jamaica here) or a roast beef. Might depend on what's on sale, lol!:)

To those who have used the Lose It application, does it track carbs or only calories? I don't count calories, but might use it for carbs, but I tend to eat the same things every day, so would only need to use it for new recipes. I think I'm in a bit of a rut with my food. I need to go out to the specialty groceries and look for those miracle noodles!

Please don't be embarrassed, Brooke. Like other have said, we've ALL been there. 2 mini ice cream sandwiches in the long run, is not terrible (I've binged on a whole bag of goldfish before, dipped in cream cheese followed by a very large slice of chocolate birthday cake...I'm sure we've all had our binge moments!). Just pick yourself up the next day and see if you can have just one day of "clean" eating. Then you can choose to do it the next day, etc.

Best of luck. I'm off to Publix today to try to find some new way of doing protein, lol. I'm getting a bit tired of hamburger patties, chicken fajitas, and meatloaf! I'm thinking a roast in the crock pot...either pork roast with jerk sauce (we can buy the Grace sauce from Jamaica here) or a roast beef. Might depend on what's on sale, lol!:)

To those who have used the Lose It application, does it track carbs or only calories? I don't count calories, but might use it for carbs, but I tend to eat the same things every day, so would only need to use it for new recipes. I think I'm in a bit of a rut with my food. I need to go out to the specialty groceries and look for those miracle noodles!

pcrum ~ loseit does track carbs (as long as that information is provided). The program is designed more for calorie counting so the charts and things are all caloric based, but you could use it for carb counting as well. I LOVE it! :)

pcrum ~ loseit does track carbs (as long as that information is provided). The program is designed more for calorie counting so the charts and things are all caloric based, but you could use it for carb counting as well. I LOVE it! :)

Who are you on lose it? if you want to friend me, i'm ariawomanATgmail.com ;-) Always good to have more "friends" :-)

Hey all,

Just wanted to know that while I have not posed in forever, I have been keeping up and reading your posts, which I greatly enjoy! Thanks everyone for the movitating tips. I just joined loseit today due to your advice. I did have an app that I was using that linked up with Sparkpeople, but it wasn't the easiest to navigate. Right now, I like what I see with loseit! I just briefly looked at it, and it looks like if you want to do recipes, you need to do it online, and cannot do it from your phone. That's the only drawback for me so far, since I cook a lot.

Brooke, congrats on keeping going and staying motivated. I know it's hard. I've wanted to lose at least 25 pounds for like 2 years now. Ugh. At some point last year, I was down ten, but they've creeped back on. I am back and newly motivated, and just tired of having tight pants or being unable to wear my favorite summer clothes. Another item is that for the first time, I think my husband is going to start tracking too. That's big for me, as in the past, I used to try to track everything secretly without making a big deal about it, and wasn't telling him my goals. Now once I enter in a recipe that I've made for us, we will both need to track it. So fresh start.

Brooke, I'm wondering if you need to switch it up and maybe start attending WW meetings instead of just receiving online support? When I did it in the past, that was a big motivator for me (having to go weigh in person at meetings). Otherwise, if you are not using that aspect of WW (the in person support part, I mean), I wonder if it would be cheaper and easier for you just to track calories with an app like Loseit. No points to figure out, just calories. It will tell you your exact calorie goal. There is a huge database of supermarket foods (even Trader Joe's foods, yay), and restaurant foods, which might make it easy for you. I just know I would be frustrated if I was paying a fee for something every month, and it didn't seem like it was "working." I like seeing the exact calories in versus calories out, especially because you subtract your exercise calories burned too. I don't know, I just think it's less confusing than all those "flex points" vs "activity points" and whether or not they should be used, but that's just me.

Anyway, I've been making some great things from the farmer's market. One you all might enjoy is stuffed eggplant. It might be good for those doing low-carb. Basically, you roast the eggplant first in order to start the cooking process, then scoop everything out and puree with garlic and some goat cheese. I added ground turkey (already cooked), onions, bell peppers chopped, etc. but you could put brown rice, quinoa, etc. if you wanted. Stuff back in the shell and top with parmesean and panko (could leave off breadcrumbs if you wanted). It was delicious and so flavorful with the garlic and goat cheese! I can post a more exact recipe if anyone is interested. It was great to have a few of these in the fridge, portion sized (I used baby eggplants), ready to go on a busy night.

I've also discoved vegetable tians as a good way to use up veggies (especially zucchini). Here is an example: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/vegetable-tian-recipe/index.html

This was good, but I made another one that had eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes instead. You can switch it up for whatever you have, leave out the potato, double up on zucchini, etc. Whatever you've got.

I got a bunch of beautiful bell peppers from the farmer's market, too. Looking for a new stuffed pepper recipe. Maybe a greek or mexican theme? I'm not sure. But I like that I can make say, 6 of these, then we have them ready to go for 3 nights of dinners or lunches.

I also made a chopped salad the other day with lettuce, chicken tomatoes, black beans, bell peppers, and corn. Kept everything in one container in the fridge and then when I wanted, I could add an avocado (split a small diced w/DH) and dressing. It only kept nice for a few days, though. But it was quick and easy when I wanted something fast - had it all ready to go.

Another recipe I love lately is roasting beets (not sure of the sugar content for those counting, but they are super nutritious). Then I chop them and pair with baby spinach, goat cheese, walnuts, and make a quick basalmic vinaigrette. Beets turn everything pink though. :)

On an exercise note, I'm still doing the elliptical but you've all convinced me that I need to add in some hand weights again. I've started taking the stairs when I get home from work on the days that I DON'T exercise. Just to keep in an exercise mindset and move a little more each day. It's 15 floors, so about 190 steps I think. It just takes a few minutes and yes I'm out of breath, but it only takes a few minutes. I think it's good to force myself to do that when 1) I know that I CAN do it and 2) every little bit of exercise helps. Just maybe not when I have all my groceries, too.

Anyway, I'll try posting more often, just know that I do enjoy everyone's posts and I am sending postive, healthy vibes everyone's way!

Hey all,

Just wanted to know that while I have not posed in forever, I have been keeping up and reading your posts, which I greatly enjoy! Thanks everyone for the movitating tips. I just joined loseit today due to your advice. I did have an app that I was using that linked up with Sparkpeople, but it wasn't the easiest to navigate. Right now, I like what I see with loseit! I just briefly looked at it, and it looks like if you want to do recipes, you need to do it online, and cannot do it from your phone. That's the only drawback for me so far, since I cook a lot.

Brooke, congrats on keeping going and staying motivated. I know it's hard. I've wanted to lose at least 25 pounds for like 2 years now. Ugh. At some point last year, I was down ten, but they've creeped back on. I am back and newly motivated, and just tired of having tight pants or being unable to wear my favorite summer clothes. Another item is that for the first time, I think my husband is going to start tracking too. That's big for me, as in the past, I used to try to track everything secretly without making a big deal about it, and wasn't telling him my goals. Now once I enter in a recipe that I've made for us, we will both need to track it. So fresh start.

Brooke, I'm wondering if you need to switch it up and maybe start attending WW meetings instead of just receiving online support? When I did it in the past, that was a big motivator for me (having to go weigh in person at meetings). Otherwise, if you are not using that aspect of WW (the in person support part, I mean), I wonder if it would be cheaper and easier for you just to track calories with an app like Loseit. No points to figure out, just calories. It will tell you your exact calorie goal. There is a huge database of supermarket foods (even Trader Joe's foods, yay), and restaurant foods, which might make it easy for you. I just know I would be frustrated if I was paying a fee for something every month, and it didn't seem like it was "working." I like seeing the exact calories in versus calories out, especially because you subtract your exercise calories burned too. I don't know, I just think it's less confusing than all those "flex points" vs "activity points" and whether or not they should be used, but that's just me.

Anyway, I've been making some great things from the farmer's market. One you all might enjoy is stuffed eggplant. It might be good for those doing low-carb. Basically, you roast the eggplant first in order to start the cooking process, then scoop everything out and puree with garlic and some goat cheese. I added ground turkey (already cooked), onions, bell peppers chopped, etc. but you could put brown rice, quinoa, etc. if you wanted. Stuff back in the shell and top with parmesean and panko (could leave off breadcrumbs if you wanted). It was delicious and so flavorful with the garlic and goat cheese! I can post a more exact recipe if anyone is interested. It was great to have a few of these in the fridge, portion sized (I used baby eggplants), ready to go on a busy night.

I've also discoved vegetable tians as a good way to use up veggies (especially zucchini). Here is an example: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/vegetable-tian-recipe/index.html

This was good, but I made another one that had eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes instead. You can switch it up for whatever you have, leave out the potato, double up on zucchini, etc. Whatever you've got.

I got a bunch of beautiful bell peppers from the farmer's market, too. Looking for a new stuffed pepper recipe. Maybe a greek or mexican theme? I'm not sure. But I like that I can make say, 6 of these, then we have them ready to go for 3 nights of dinners or lunches.

I also made a chopped salad the other day with lettuce, chicken tomatoes, black beans, bell peppers, and corn. Kept everything in one container in the fridge and then when I wanted, I could add an avocado (split a small diced w/DH) and dressing. It only kept nice for a few days, though. But it was quick and easy when I wanted something fast - had it all ready to go.

Another recipe I love lately is roasting beets (not sure of the sugar content for those counting, but they are super nutritious). Then I chop them and pair with baby spinach, goat cheese, walnuts, and make a quick basalmic vinaigrette. Beets turn everything pink though. :)

On an exercise note, I'm still doing the elliptical but you've all convinced me that I need to add in some hand weights again. I've started taking the stairs when I get home from work on the days that I DON'T exercise. Just to keep in an exercise mindset and move a little more each day. It's 15 floors, so about 190 steps I think. It just takes a few minutes and yes I'm out of breath, but it only takes a few minutes. I think it's good to force myself to do that when 1) I know that I CAN do it and 2) every little bit of exercise helps. Just maybe not when I have all my groceries, too.

Anyway, I'll try posting more often, just know that I do enjoy everyone's posts and I am sending postive, healthy vibes everyone's way!

Thanks for the recipe ideas. I'd love more detail on the eggplant recipe as eggplant is one of my favs!

As for an idea for stuffed peppers, the recipe I posted a few posts back for meatloaf is a mixture I've also stuffed in peppers (and made meatballs from). It's Italian themed. I bet you could use taco seasonings and top with Mexcian cheese and have a Mexican themed one though. If you find a Greek themed one, I'd love to see it. We love feta cheese!

Okay was a long day and terrible eating.....

Had artwork retreat today so my choices were based on boredom and over hunger.

1/3 c oatmeal

1/2 c 1% milk

1 glazed donut

2 munchins

1 can soda

1 6 inch turkey on wheat sub with light may/ mustard/ veggjes

Apple's

3 bottles of water

1 chocolate frosted donut

2 minis

1 beer

1 small mixed drink

1 Freud catfish can't guess the oz....maybe 8

2 oz fries

2 oz beans/fries rice more beans than rice

About 5 chips from nachos

YEP

My ankle also swelled from an hour or more in 95 degree weather playing putt putt for team building. So between my back, ankle and my room being 100 degrees from me getting home late, no exercise. Might have to make it up.

Coworkers gave me a diet plan to look at and i might think about it. Might write about it tomr .

Good choices.

Okay was a long day and terrible eating.....

Had artwork retreat today so my choices were based on boredom and over hunger.

1/3 c oatmeal

1/2 c 1% milk

1 glazed donut

2 munchins

1 can soda

1 6 inch turkey on wheat sub with light may/ mustard/ veggjes

Apple's

3 bottles of water

1 chocolate frosted donut

2 minis

1 beer

1 small mixed drink

1 Freud catfish can't guess the oz....maybe 8

2 oz fries

2 oz beans/fries rice more beans than rice

About 5 chips from nachos

YEP

My ankle also swelled from an hour or more in 95 degree weather playing putt putt for team building. So between my back, ankle and my room being 100 degrees from me getting home late, no exercise. Might have to make it up.

Coworkers gave me a diet plan to look at and i might think about it. Might write about it tomr .

Good choices.

Today is over and done with...can't beat yourself up over it. Tomorrow is a new day!:)

Today is over and done with...can't beat yourself up over it. Tomorrow is a new day!:)

I have had to tell myself that SEVERAL days this week lol.

But it's true. No sense punishing yourself, just try to get back on that horse as best you can!

Have you tried sugar free jello as a snack? That is my "go to" dessert when I want something sweet. I always keep it at home. You can also whip heavy whipping cream and add splenda for a low carb topping.

I also LOVE sugar free jellos ~ they are one of the few processed foods I will allow myself. My trick is slicing up a few strawberries and stirring them in and then topping with lite whipped topping ~ a yummy dessert for less than 50 calories!

Thanks. Its just sometimes I wonder if I need shock therapy to train me to stay away from most food.

Anyway,

I said a co-worker gave me a diet to look at. She is an older co-worker, but like me she has struggled with her weight all of her life (we have similar body shapes too) and she said if I was in a rut (like someone else suggested) maybe I should switch something up for a little while. She has switched to WW from this diet b/c she never intended to stay on this diet for a long period of time, just a jump start. But she is having the same problems I'm having, she is maintaining, but not losing.........and she can't exercise b/c of medical problems.

Anyway, I'm gonna attach the diet plan cheat sheet she gave me. She said she modified the plan and instead of losing 30lbs in 6 weeks, it took her 6 months, but she was okay with that.

I'm not really gonna do this plan b/c its some infomercial thing and I've read the reports online that it is a rip off though like one of you has said before that most diets work, its just that most people don't follow them correctly.

This encourages me to:

1. Go back and re-read my WW plan and make sure I'm following the program as far as food is concerned.

2. Be a better planner

3. Think about my "treat" addiction, not carb addiction.

Sooooooo, pretty much food is my enemy. I used to think it was exercise. But I don't think so.

So, I will go back and read through WW again and make sure that I correctly understand how the plan works. Having done the program several times (through the changes) I may have misunderstood or gotten a few of the versions mixed up.

I'm the world's absolute, no doubt, worse at planning. And for the majority it isn't b/c I don't have time, its b/c I just don't want to make time. I think I feel like I have to think about food all the time and devoting an hour or two to planning and buying food makes me just........:eek:. There has to be a system, a reasoning, a pattern..........I know I'm good at patterns if I just get into them (that's the hard part). Which brings me to this diet plan. The cheat sheet is neat b/c its pretty much telling you how much to eat, how many times a day, and gives you a list to choose from. I was surprised at how much I appreciated this. Narrowed my choices down, took more of the thought out of it. Still gave me choices though and room to breath. While I don't agree with some of the aspects I like the ............structure, I guess. Like, I hate going into a place to eat and they give you this expansive menu and I feel like I'm missing out on stuff and feel overwhelmed (cracker barrel does that to me) with choices. Its funny that restrictive diets make me feel angry, but I would prefer a slimmed down menu. However, I guess its b/c the menu still gives me choices, just not as many of them, which keeps me focused and less frustrated.

This is how I function at work too. I get overwhelmed when things get too broad (hints why I always talk about having to look at sodium, calories, fat, carbs,sugar etc. being too much). I have to start at the tip of the pyramid and work out.

Hmm, is this a break through or just another realization that will lead to a break through? Idk.

3. Was treats. While I'm glad that some can do without them (Ice cream, cookies) and I'm glad you have that kind of personal worth to forgo for a better purpose, I can't and won't give up something without a fight. As most of you know. So, I found it silly that I ate two mini ice cream sandwiches plus I think I had something else sweet that day too. The point being I'm averaging about 2-3 "treats" a day. This is not normal, well it shouldn't be for me.....at this time (right, Gathina?). Anyway, I talk about making slow progress and decisions I can live with and I don't know why I I just talk and don't listen sometimes.

I suggested to my aunt, for her soda addiction, that she take the soda out of her life a little at time, so that she doesn't feel deprived, its just something that eventually went away. Why can't I take my own advice? I obviously have a sweet tooth, so I need to take my object of obsession and slowly try and take it out of my life.

So, I plan to give myself 1 treat a day. I think I should save this for the evening b/c this seems to be the worst time for sweets b/c they are more readily available to me. Now portion is another concern, but........this will be a process, so.....I will allow for a 1 treat a day and put no restrictions on the portion, hopefully trusting myself enough to make a better choice. But eventually, the 1 treat a day will then get a portion control placed on it after I have succeeded with 1 week of keeping to one treat a day. Actually, 10 days, I've heard it takes 10 days to change a habit. Then the portion will come into effect...........10 days........then I will slowly start curving the amount of days. I think the final goal should be three days a week for a treat. Probably Sat. and Sunday (as I tend to eat out more) and one work day for those days that never end.

Anyway, I blabber on.......

BK: 1/2 c oatmeal

1/2 c 1 % milk

1 scrambled egg with no oil and just a splash of milk in it

S: 2.8 oz of tuna (water packed and drained)

1/2 c of brown rice

L: 2 oz (I think b/c its hard to measure turkey slices, I need a scale) turkey slices

1 cup garden tomatoes chopped

1 tbsp light mayo

1 tsp mustard

2 sprinkles of salt

I chopped everything up to kinda make a turkey tomato salad;)

S: 1/2 c brown rice

1 tsp smart balance

1/2 c strawberries (obviously not mixed, lol)

As you can see I'm not really following the rules on that plan, but I did try to eat like it, just to see how it would go. Obviously, I did it kinda simple. I'm sure there is great meals you could put together with what was given, but as you all know........I completely stink at cooking and meal preparation. Even cheating on this plan I would still come in at 15 WW points NOT used for the day. Putting me at 29 points instead of the 44 I'm aiming for. Of course I have no clue what this diet says about exercise, but I got a clue from a review I read and it actually gives you more carbs for snacks when you bring exercise in........I think. Anyway....this is what I had listed for dinner and the optional snack which I did add in b/c I would have been below 29.

D: 2oz of rib eye steak lean cut

1/2 c cooked squash probably with seasoning and butter

2 c green beans, probably with a broth base.

S: 2 more oz of steak (b/c its about 6 oz cooked)

1 c of milk (about 12 oz)

1 banana

1 tbsp pb (with banana)

I might add some protein powder and a milk before my workout to take up more points and get my servings of dairy in for the day per WW.

W: 60 mins. bike and weights. 30 reps of 5 sets with 5lb weights.

Here is the cheat sheet:

2012-07-19_14-16-51_708.jpg

Brooke, have you read The Carbohydrate's Addict Diet? I read it a while ago, so am going from memory, but I think they say you can have one "treat" a day and successfully lose weight as long as the rest of the meals are low carb. It's something about how the body processes carbs and supposedly if you eat the treat in 30 minutes or less it gets processed differently and does not go to fat. Like I said, I haven't read the book in a while, but I think the science behind it might help you.

The first time I lost a lot of weight (in my early 20s), I dieted during the week and over the weekend I'd allow myself one dessert...back then the frozen yogurt places were all the rage (late 80s), so I'd go and have a brownie sundae made with frozen yogurt. I lost about 50 lbs and kept it off for about 12 years (until I got pregnant). So, I know you can lose while having a treat. I'm not sure I'd go with a treat a day, but according to the Carbohydrate's Addict book, you should be able to do so.

Your cheat sheat looks good to me other than the carb column, lol. Those are all foods that I'm just programmed to avoid when trying to lose weight. That's not to say you cannot lose weight while eating them, just that it's not something I'd be successful at.

As always, best of luck!:)

I get what your doing with the treat thing a day. I really do.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is why your not going to measure the portion size. The wrong portion sizes of the treats and food in general is what gets most of us into trouble?

You said that you would trust yourself to eventually get to the right portion size (If I understood you correctly, maybe I didn't). To me, it seems self-defeating because I thought the idea behind allowing treats in any diet was to learn how to incorporate them into your life in a reasonable way, meaning the right portion size. If you haven't been able to trust yourself to eat the right size of a treat before, why would you be able to trust yourself now? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm trying to understand.

Like you kept mentioning about being deprived. Why would you feel deprived if you weren't able to eat a whole box of cookies if that's what you wanted to eat for your treat that night? I guess I don't get why you feel you might need a whole box instead of just 2 or 3. (just using the cookies as an example)

The planning thing..well, it's been tossed around here before. Almost every diet on the planet involves a degree of planning. If something is a priority to us, we find a way to make it happen and cut something else out time wise. Maybe your not ready to really lose weight yet if your not willing to plan.

Random thoughts..

Thanks. Its just sometimes I wonder if I need shock therapy to train me to stay away from most food.

Anyway,

I said a co-worker gave me a diet to look at. She is an older co-worker, but like me she has struggled with her weight all of her life (we have similar body shapes too) and she said if I was in a rut (like someone else suggested) maybe I should switch something up for a little while. She has switched to WW from this diet b/c she never intended to stay on this diet for a long period of time, just a jump start. But she is having the same problems I'm having, she is maintaining, but not losing.........and she can't exercise b/c of medical problems.

Anyway, I'm gonna attach the diet plan cheat sheet she gave me. She said she modified the plan and instead of losing 30lbs in 6 weeks, it took her 6 months, but she was okay with that.

I'm not really gonna do this plan b/c its some infomercial thing and I've read the reports online that it is a rip off though like one of you has said before that most diets work, its just that most people don't follow them correctly.

This encourages me to:

1. Go back and re-read my WW plan and make sure I'm following the program as far as food is concerned.

2. Be a better planner

3. Think about my "treat" addiction, not carb addiction.

Sooooooo, pretty much food is my enemy. I used to think it was exercise. But I don't think so.

So, I will go back and read through WW again and make sure that I correctly understand how the plan works. Having done the program several times (through the changes) I may have misunderstood or gotten a few of the versions mixed up.

I'm the world's absolute, no doubt, worse at planning. And for the majority it isn't b/c I don't have time, its b/c I just don't want to make time. I think I feel like I have to think about food all the time and devoting an hour or two to planning and buying food makes me just........:eek:. There has to be a system, a reasoning, a pattern..........I know I'm good at patterns if I just get into them (that's the hard part). Which brings me to this diet plan. The cheat sheet is neat b/c its pretty much telling you how much to eat, how many times a day, and gives you a list to choose from. I was surprised at how much I appreciated this. Narrowed my choices down, took more of the thought out of it. Still gave me choices though and room to breath. While I don't agree with some of the aspects I like the ............structure, I guess. Like, I hate going into a place to eat and they give you this expansive menu and I feel like I'm missing out on stuff and feel overwhelmed (cracker barrel does that to me) with choices. Its funny that restrictive diets make me feel angry, but I would prefer a slimmed down menu. However, I guess its b/c the menu still gives me choices, just not as many of them, which keeps me focused and less frustrated.

This is how I function at work too. I get overwhelmed when things get too broad (hints why I always talk about having to look at sodium, calories, fat, carbs,sugar etc. being too much). I have to start at the tip of the pyramid and work out.

Hmm, is this a break through or just another realization that will lead to a break through? Idk.

3. Was treats. While I'm glad that some can do without them (Ice cream, cookies) and I'm glad you have that kind of personal worth to forgo for a better purpose, I can't and won't give up something without a fight. As most of you know. So, I found it silly that I ate two mini ice cream sandwiches plus I think I had something else sweet that day too. The point being I'm averaging about 2-3 "treats" a day. This is not normal, well it shouldn't be for me.....at this time (right, Gathina?). Anyway, I talk about making slow progress and decisions I can live with and I don't know why I I just talk and don't listen sometimes.

I suggested to my aunt, for her soda addiction, that she take the soda out of her life a little at time, so that she doesn't feel deprived, its just something that eventually went away. Why can't I take my own advice? I obviously have a sweet tooth, so I need to take my object of obsession and slowly try and take it out of my life.

So, I plan to give myself 1 treat a day. I think I should save this for the evening b/c this seems to be the worst time for sweets b/c they are more readily available to me. Now portion is another concern, but........this will be a process, so.....I will allow for a 1 treat a day and put no restrictions on the portion, hopefully trusting myself enough to make a better choice. But eventually, the 1 treat a day will then get a portion control placed on it after I have succeeded with 1 week of keeping to one treat a day. Actually, 10 days, I've heard it takes 10 days to change a habit. Then the portion will come into effect...........10 days........then I will slowly start curving the amount of days. I think the final goal should be three days a week for a treat. Probably Sat. and Sunday (as I tend to eat out more) and one work day for those days that never end.

Anyway, I blabber on.......

BK: 1/2 c oatmeal

1/2 c 1 % milk

1 scrambled egg with no oil and just a splash of milk in it

S: 2.8 oz of tuna (water packed and drained)

1/2 c of brown rice

L: 2 oz (I think b/c its hard to measure turkey slices, I need a scale) turkey slices

1 cup garden tomatoes chopped

1 tbsp light mayo

1 tsp mustard

2 sprinkles of salt

I chopped everything up to kinda make a turkey tomato salad;)

S: 1/2 c brown rice

1 tsp smart balance

1/2 c strawberries (obviously not mixed, lol)

As you can see I'm not really following the rules on that plan, but I did try to eat like it, just to see how it would go. Obviously, I did it kinda simple. I'm sure there is great meals you could put together with what was given, but as you all know........I completely stink at cooking and meal preparation. Even cheating on this plan I would still come in at 15 WW points NOT used for the day. Putting me at 29 points instead of the 44 I'm aiming for. Of course I have no clue what this diet says about exercise, but I got a clue from a review I read and it actually gives you more carbs for snacks when you bring exercise in........I think. Anyway....this is what I had listed for dinner and the optional snack which I did add in b/c I would have been below 29.

D: 2oz of rib eye steak lean cut

1/2 c cooked squash probably with seasoning and butter

2 c green beans, probably with a broth base.

S: 2 more oz of steak (b/c its about 6 oz cooked)

1 c of milk (about 12 oz)

1 banana

1 tbsp pb (with banana)

I might add some protein powder and a milk before my workout to take up more points and get my servings of dairy in for the day per WW.

W: 60 mins. bike and weights. 30 reps of 5 sets with 5lb weights.

Here is the cheat sheet:

2012-07-19_14-16-51_708.jpg

I get what your doing with the treat thing a day. I really do.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is why your not going to measure the portion size. The wrong portion sizes of the treats and food in general is what gets most of us into trouble?

You said that you would trust yourself to eventually get to the right portion size (If I understood you correctly, maybe I didn't). To me, it seems self-defeating because I thought the idea behind allowing treats in any diet was to learn how to incorporate them into your life in a reasonable way, meaning the right portion size. If you haven't been able to trust yourself to eat the right size of a treat before, why would you be able to trust yourself now? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm trying to understand.

Like you kept mentioning about being deprived. Why would you feel deprived if you weren't able to eat a whole box of cookies if that's what you wanted to eat for your treat that night? I guess I don't get why you feel you might need a whole box instead of just 2 or 3. (just using the cookies as an example)

The planning thing..well, it's been tossed around here before. Almost every diet on the planet involves a degree of planning. If something is a priority to us, we find a way to make it happen and cut something else out time wise. Maybe your not ready to really lose weight yet if your not willing to plan.

Random thoughts..

The lack of labeling the portion is just another level to winging me off treats.

If you think about it, I haven't really ever eating the correct portion for treats b/c I've never seen them as something to control, I felt I deserved them.

So if I was eating 3 treats a day and at least double the labeled portion size I was eating 6x what I should be.

If I limit myself to one treat a day, but don't say......."I'm only have 1 label serving size of the treat...." that's what I'm talking about. I may only eat one serving or I might eat two. I don't intend to sit down and eat an entire half gallon of ice cream, but I might have 3 scoops instead of one......for example. Like today, my treat was Sweet Frog Yogurt. I chose the small cup, but I did fill it pretty full. I counted every point (and I had them to spare) and I enjoyed it........and the best part when I got home and had the option of eating cookies, cereal, cakes, min ice cream sandwiches, I could look at them and say, "No, you had your treat today and it was worth it." Close the freezer door.

So, I know why you are perplexed, but its an addiction that I'm trying to wing myself off of. So the how many per day is first. Then the portion size will be next (only having one label size serving), then I will take the days down. Its a 3 step program to not eating sweets. And it sounds good inside my head and has worked at least one day. Soooo, 9 more days to go.

As far as planning. I don't think it means I don't want to lose weight. I think it speaks to a bad personality trait and habit that can eventually be broke with time and repetition. It might also help when I don't have to wade through all the food and stuff my parents have in the fridge.

Another realization. I'm def. a spacial person. A creature of habit when it comes to spacial things. I claim a space in our mini fridge in our office and thats for my food.....I don't like to not put my food there. I despise when my mom used to come up to my room and throw my clean clothes on my bed...my room could have been a mess, doesn't matter, she invaded my space and made a decision about how it looked despite me. Same thing with the fridge, the stupid tubeware draw.........and the worst of all......THE FREAKIN LAZY SUSAN CABINET. It drives me batty that things get thrown up there and they fall over and backwards and there is stuff behind stuff that you can't see b/c its behind taller stuff.

Currently, there is like chaos in the fridge with garden veggies, a few half empty bags of shredded cheese, leftovers and random 1/4 full cup of milk with no lid and some earth worms for fishing in a reg. tubeware in the back. Found that out the wrong way, thinking it was dark b/c it was left over pot roast in the juices...........

Point being, your environment does effect more of your life than people give it credit for. I can't get my work day started until my desk is clear and organized, then I write out my list of stuff to do. Control. I don't have control of my home environment and that is where the food is...........

or is that just another excuse?

I'm having to many moments today............too much. I'm done for the day.

Gathina, that wasn't all pointed at you, btw.........I got on a tangent try to figure things out.

Wow, interesting thoughts! :) I would think because your such a spatial and organized person the planning part would be easy! :)

I hate to say this, but have you ever met a drug addict or alcoholic or was able to "control" the amounts of their drug of choice? Maybe not, unfortunately I've known hundreds of them through my profession and they are not able to. The VERY rare few that I have, they did it by telling themselves "I can have one drink and be okay with it."

Kinda the mindfulness thing.

The not planning thing..and you saying your so stubborn and don't give up without a fight..my own opinion is, if you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get there, and sometimes that means doing something that is recommended and not what you want to do. If you were a chocolate cake addict who ate cake every day and the doctor told you that you were going do die in six months and the only thing that would save your life is if you COMPLETELY stop eating chocolate cake I'm willing to bet you could do it because you would start thinking about how more important life is than cake. Just a silly example :)

Ok, my random thoughts at 6am , time for work! Good day all.

The lack of labeling the portion is just another level to winging me off treats.

If you think about it, I haven't really ever eating the correct portion for treats b/c I've never seen them as something to control, I felt I deserved them.

So if I was eating 3 treats a day and at least double the labeled portion size I was eating 6x what I should be.

If I limit myself to one treat a day, but don't say......."I'm only have 1 label serving size of the treat...." that's what I'm talking about. I may only eat one serving or I might eat two. I don't intend to sit down and eat an entire half gallon of ice cream, but I might have 3 scoops instead of one......for example. Like today, my treat was Sweet Frog Yogurt. I chose the small cup, but I did fill it pretty full. I counted every point (and I had them to spare) and I enjoyed it........and the best part when I got home and had the option of eating cookies, cereal, cakes, min ice cream sandwiches, I could look at them and say, "No, you had your treat today and it was worth it." Close the freezer door.

So, I know why you are perplexed, but its an addiction that I'm trying to wing myself off of. So the how many per day is first. Then the portion size will be next (only having one label size serving), then I will take the days down. Its a 3 step program to not eating sweets. And it sounds good inside my head and has worked at least one day. Soooo, 9 more days to go.

As far as planning. I don't think it means I don't want to lose weight. I think it speaks to a bad personality trait and habit that can eventually be broke with time and repetition. It might also help when I don't have to wade through all the food and stuff my parents have in the fridge.

Another realization. I'm def. a spacial person. A creature of habit when it comes to spacial things. I claim a space in our mini fridge in our office and thats for my food.....I don't like to not put my food there. I despise when my mom used to come up to my room and throw my clean clothes on my bed...my room could have been a mess, doesn't matter, she invaded my space and made a decision about how it looked despite me. Same thing with the fridge, the stupid tubeware draw.........and the worst of all......THE FREAKIN LAZY SUSAN CABINET. It drives me batty that things get thrown up there and they fall over and backwards and there is stuff behind stuff that you can't see b/c its behind taller stuff.

Currently, there is like chaos in the fridge with garden veggies, a few half empty bags of shredded cheese, leftovers and random 1/4 full cup of milk with no lid and some earth worms for fishing in a reg. tubeware in the back. Found that out the wrong way, thinking it was dark b/c it was left over pot roast in the juices...........

Point being, your environment does effect more of your life than people give it credit for. I can't get my work day started until my desk is clear and organized, then I write out my list of stuff to do. Control. I don't have control of my home environment and that is where the food is...........

or is that just another excuse?

I'm having to many moments today............too much. I'm done for the day.

Gathina, that wasn't all pointed at you, btw.........I got on a tangent try to figure things out.

Brooke, I'm thinking part of your struggle with food is living at home and depending on your mom to do part of the grocery shopping and storing the food in a kitchen used by others. What about getting a small, office sized or slightly larger refrigerator for your room and keeping your food in there? You could also designate a space in your room for pantry items. It would be good practice for when you do eventually live on your own and might even help with planning. If you only eat what you, yourself grocery shop for, then that kind of forces you to plan your meals. It's how most of of us are doing it...I mean I have to go out and shop for the food in our house, so by default, I have to have a plan of what we are going to eat for the coming week and in that plan, I have to incorporate foods that are acceptable in my diet. Now some weeks are better than others and I can truly plan for the week and other weeks, I just have no idea and end up at the grocery store several times a week and some days, I just have no idea and end up with Publix deli rotisserie chicken for me and Publix hot wings or subs for the rest of the family. But the point is, it's my responsibility and there is no "fall back" position, other than maybe a breakfast for dinner type of day, but for us that usually means scrambled eggs and bacon, which is ok on my diet.

Just an idea if you are so centered on your environment. I'm the same way...it drives me crazy to visit my mom and try to cook in her kitchen for more than a few days, just because how she organizes things is not how I'd do it. Works for her, but not for me!:)

Edited by pcrum
grammar

...and you saying your so stubborn and don't give up without a fight..my own opinion is, if you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get there, and sometimes that means doing something that is recommended and not what you want to do. .

I know everybody here has their own individual thoughts and ideas about dieting, and nobody among us should be telling someone else their idea is wrong and ours is right. But I think we all agree that dieting is all about changing our behavior to get the wanted results.

SO I just have to ask...and I mean no disrespect...but why give up so easily and say "oh I am just stubborn and that's the way I am" ? We are all stubborn, and we all want the naughty chocolate cake! But we are all fighting a real addiction and the only way to change it is to take one little tiny step at a time.

Embracing our stubbornness and saying "What I really want is chocolate cake, so I will just have a smaller piece of chocolate cake" it is like a heroin addict saying they will just do a smaller amount of heroin today, and everything will be alright. Why not reach for a piece of fruit and don't have that cake in ANY size portion. Try it for a day. Then a week. Over time we can train our brains to not even want the chocolate cake, and break the addiction.

After the addiction is broken, we can go back to having a little piece of chocolate cake now and then. But it won't be as good as it used to be, because we are no longer feeding an addiction...just simply having a little piece of cake.

I am just surprised to see very few people talking along these lines...

I know everybody here has their own individual thoughts and ideas about dieting, and nobody among us should be telling someone else their idea is wrong and ours is right. But I think we all agree that dieting is all about changing our behavior to get the wanted results.

SO I just have to ask...and I mean no disrespect...but why give up so easily and say "oh I am just stubborn and that's the way I am" ? We are all stubborn, and we all want the naughty chocolate cake! But we are all fighting a real addiction and the only way to change it is to take one little tiny step at a time.

Embracing our stubbornness and saying "What I really want is chocolate cake, so I will just have a smaller piece of chocolate cake" it is like a heroin addict saying they will just do a smaller amount of heroin today, and everything will be alright. Why not reach for a piece of fruit and don't have that cake in ANY size portion. Try it for a day. Then a week. Over time we can train our brains to not even want the chocolate cake, and break the addiction.

After the addiction is broken, we can go back to having a little piece of chocolate cake now and then. But it won't be as good as it used to be, because we are no longer feeding an addiction...just simply having a little piece of cake.

I am just surprised to see very few people talking along these lines...

I get your point, but honestly...........this is how I feel about being compared to a drug or alcohol addict.

They can cut there addiction out of there life forever b/c they don't have to have it to live.

My addiction, food, is something I have to deal with 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, 3 meals a day at the very least. I'm not addicted to chocolate cake. If chocolate cake is what I obsessed over and you (you used in a general term, not aimed towards anyone) told me I couldn't have it..........I'd probably decide to have ice cream........if you took that away.........toast..........if you took that away..............see where I'm going. I'm a food addict that can't be without the addiction, I can only modify it. And in my personal opinion, I am. If they can have a step down program for smokers (who food addicts are more often compared too) then so can I.

There is also a mental aspect here. Drug addicts usually have to go through in house care facilities for long periods of time to get over there addictions. I'm sure if I had some therapy along with my 'dieting' it might move along a little faster, but as it is, I can't afford that so I'm slowly coming to terms with food on my own. I consider myself a pretty healthy minded individual, so I think I'm probably doing better than most who have some serious background trauma that might be at the root of their eating problems.

I have no excuse for my food problems. I just have simply always remembered liking food and overeating it. I have a family who is over weight and over eats, both sides. Just a fact, not an excuse.

I do appreciate the effort that everyone has given to trying to help. I do say that even though sometimes we don't understand each others reasoning, the different opinions have opened my view up more than it was.

Though I'm sure more than not, my lack of progress does annoy.Like one of those whiney reality tv stars that you want to smack b/c if they could just see..........

Wow, interesting thoughts! :) I would think because your such a spatial and organized person the planning part would be easy! :)

I hate to say this, but have you ever met a drug addict or alcoholic or was able to "control" the amounts of their drug of choice? Maybe not, unfortunately I've known hundreds of them through my profession and they are not able to. The VERY rare few that I have, they did it by telling themselves "I can have one drink and be okay with it."

Kinda the mindfulness thing.

The not planning thing..and you saying your so stubborn and don't give up without a fight..my own opinion is, if you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get there, and sometimes that means doing something that is recommended and not what you want to do. If you were a chocolate cake addict who ate cake every day and the doctor told you that you were going do die in six months and the only thing that would save your life is if you COMPLETELY stop eating chocolate cake I'm willing to bet you could do it because you would start thinking about how more important life is than cake. Just a silly example :)

Ok, my random thoughts at 6am , time for work! Good day all.

I told you I could be used for a case study.

And I do want to stop eating............"chocolate cake" I would like to have control back from inanimate objects. I think I just have to physically feel it. I felt very empowered yesterday when only had that yogurt (though 3 portions too much), but I did it. I didn't go home and eat any other form of "treat."

Brooke=1

Sweets=0

I feel sometimes like I monopolize your time and this thread. I know I started it, I really didn't think anyone would end up reading my blabbering. But I do hope that its been helpful other than to me, despite my lack of progress.

So, that plan is not appealing to me as far as the food choices........well.....actually most of them seem fine. I think its more of the rules I don't like. I do actually like the structure though. I guess its a formula of sorts and I like how it works. Mainly the portions and spread out foods. I was mainly satisfied yesterday.......actually I was. I did need to eat a slice of cheese and turkey in the evening when my stomach started growling, but I came in at the exact point place I needed to be.

Last night, I did plan out on my WW tracker what I planned to eat for most of the day. There are 18 points left, some of which will be for my decided 'treat' (which might be a piece of cake b/c its my SIL bday) and I didn't do an after dinner snack, so we will see.

Here are the screen shots of my WW tracker:

WW1.png

WW2.png

If I'm going to up any points or add anything I will def. aim for more of the protein, rather than carbs or of course more veggies........then fruit (b/c of sugar)

I might be watching my nephews tonight, I don't know yet. But since it is Friday and unless my bro and SIL stay out really late, I still should be able to hit the bike.

Hey everyone,

Brooke, I think it's wonderful that you post so much, this is your thread that you started after all! I have to say that I think you get so many comments and suggestions because people really resonate with what you are saying. We've all had difficult days or days that we couldn't stop ourselves from eating too much of the wrong thing.

I think all of the reflection lately is great. It really shows that you are starting to examine your actions and how you can fix this food thing. We can give all the advice in the world, but until you are ready to tackle it, you won't be as successful as possible. So keep posting, keep trying to work out these issues. Maybe take 10 minutes at the end of the day or when you get home from work just to reflect on yourself and your day. Just taking a moment to step away from all distractions and think can be really helpful.

As for myself, I've tracked for two days now. It's so much easier when I'm not the only one doing it! I can openly log on and figure out how many calories a recipe was without trying to do it quick/on the sly. The website is telling me that I need 1440 calories a day in order to lose 2 pounds a week. That's before working out, though. So if I hit that goal, but workout and burn 400 calories one night, I can add say, a glass of 1% milk and a banana after working out and maybe some wine with dinner and still keep my deficit. (That's probably not the best way to use up the calories, but I do love my wine and need to budget for it!). When I was on sparkpeople, I think it was telling me a range of between 1300 and 1500 calories a day, so that seems about right. With loseit, you can see your weekly deficit too, so even if you go over one day, but are under on the others, you can see if you are averaging close to your goals. So far, I really like it!

Let's see, pcrum (what is your real name? Sorry!), I made mexican-style stuffed peppers last night and they were tasty! And the recipe tracker came out to about 200-something calories for one. Amazing. They had 3/4 pound of ground turkey breast cooked with chopped bell pepper, 2 jalepenos chopped, onion, tomato, and garlic, then I added a can of black beans and some sweet corn. And taco seasonings. I topped each with a bit of mexican blended cheese. I was going to add brown rice, but then I had so much filling that it wasn't going to fit in the peppers! I still had a bowl of extra filling to the side. We topped with avocado (DH and I split one small) for about 160 calories, and some tortilla chips (I counted out the portion) for about 140 calories. I even had a light beer w/a lime for around 100 calories... so all in all, a really tasty dinner, and I definitely didn't feel deprived at all. Especially with getting avocado and tortilla chips, which is a total treat! Dinner was about 600 something calories total, in case anyone's curious. My breakfasts are usually less than 300, and lunches and snacks tend to vary with the day. (Depending on if I go out for lunch or eat at home, etc.).

I think that for me, it's just being mindful about not having MULTIPLE beers, limiting the number of chips, etc. Just a few days ago I would have had multiple beers and then had the bag of tortilla chips in front of me, being mindless about it. But when I know I only have 25 calories left for the day, I'm not going to go get more chips. I told myself if I was really hungry later on, I could have 3-4 strawberries. But I wasn't, so I didn't.

Brooke, did you re-read your WW literature? Any revelations? Just curious. The program has changed a lot since I did it. Also wanted to say that before I got married, I was living at home and did WW and lost like 25 pounds. It was hard because I ate with my family and didn't have a lot of control, so I totally understand. I would basically eat a Special K granola bar for breakfast for like 100 calories, and keep lunch to around 300-400 if possible (like a subway sandwich w/out cheese, no sides, or a grilled chicken salad without cheese and dressing, etc.). It was hard, but I really wanted to lose weight for my wedding and that was the only way that I could allow room for dinner when I didn't know what it was going to be.