Frog & onion.......

MBurke17

If you were to take time and review my posts you'd find that the majority by far are fact, not opinion. I am not a visitor here so my opinion is of very little use, I live here so I deliver facts. Boyle said it was like any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US> Fries, burgers etc. And I merely clarified what the etc was and also pointed out that the "etc" is not commonly found at any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US. If you can show me a menu from a few US-style restaurants in the US that has these items on the menu I would appreciate it. I believe the small sample of the menu I listed here proves, at least according to Pee-ah's definition of a tourist trap (a place that allows a toursit to dictate the menu rather than the island (it - the pub - provides the tourist foods that familar to them.. rather than broadening their tastes..), relieves the F&O from tourist trap status.

I actually did look at a couple of your posts and afterward didn't feel so bad that you and the other poster from Bermuda (the one saying I have no palette and what a disservice I did to state my opinion) were rude to me. I noticed that when you don't agree with other's opinions you respond sarcastically and challenge them. All you need to do is state your experience as I stated mine. No need to get into discounting what others think. As I've since clarified, I read in various tourist books that the Frog and Onion was a restaurant in Bermuda you shouldn't miss. I did not know it was a pub. I thought I was going somewhere that would give me the feel of Bermuda - authentic Bermuda culture. When we got there the service was poor and the waiter recommended burgers and fries, and I was surprised to find it was the type of place you could go anywhere, nothing that really was memorable to my family.

As I've since clarified, I read in various tourist books that the Frog and Onion was a restaurant in Bermuda you shouldn't miss. I did not know it was a pub. I thought I was going somewhere that would give me the feel of Bermuda - authentic Bermuda culture. When we got there the service was poor and the waiter recommended burgers and fries, and I was surprised to find it was the type of place you could go anywhere, nothing that really was memorable to my family.

Pubs are authentic Bermuda culture! There are many pubs. That should have been in the tourist books you read. You were getting a feel for Bermuda. You had the wrong expectations. Bermuda is heavily influenced by British and American traditions and food is imported from the the USA.

I actually did look at a couple of your posts and afterward didn't feel so bad that you and the other poster from Bermuda (the one saying I have no palette and what a disservice I did to state my opinion) were rude to me. I noticed that when you don't agree with other's opinions you respond sarcastically and challenge them. All you need to do is state your experience as I stated mine. No need to get into discounting what others think. As I've since clarified, I read in various tourist books that the Frog and Onion was a restaurant in Bermuda you shouldn't miss. I did not know it was a pub. I thought I was going somewhere that would give me the feel of Bermuda - authentic Bermuda culture. When we got there the service was poor and the waiter recommended burgers and fries, and I was surprised to find it was the type of place you could go anywhere, nothing that really was memorable to my family.

It is never my intention to be rude to anyone, and I am genuinely sorry if you felt slighted or glanced by my responces. I have already stated that in this forum I deal in facts, not opinions, so if you have an opinion that I do not agree with, and you publish that opinion on this board, I will not respond to it and I challenge you to find a quote here that proves otherwise. What I do challenge is bad information and I do so because I am a proud Bermudian and I love sharing my country with everyone and I want everyone who comes here to have the most accurate and up to date information. I'm sorry if the service was poor at F&O. You asked the waiter what was good and he said "burger and fries". You asked his opinion! Did you ever consider for a short moment that he actually might prefer a burger rather than cottage pie? Why would you ask his opinion and then complain about it on the internet? How could you not know it was a pub when it's called "The Frog and Onion Pub"?

Here are the straight facts

Thanks for backing me up. I thought we were going to go there and there would be music from Bermuda, something really cultural. Instead, as I said previously it was pretty much pub food, In fact, we asked what was good on the menu and the waiter said the burger and fries. No mention of chowder or anything else. My husband asked for a beer, and asked for suggestions and wasn't told anything abut their own beer. So before the couple of people go off on innocent posters they should really get their facts straight.

Fact:Tony Brannon is a Bermudian song writer and performer who plays at F&O, Wayne is as well.

Fact:F&O is an English style pub, so it makes sense that they would serve pub food.

Fact:Fish chowder is on the menu as are the in-house brews. I assume you did not get a menu.

fo1.jpg.51f428da0497e04c4930d5bc2973e004.jpg

fo2.jpg.94707f078153756fda500c21d5d002a2.jpg

fo3.jpg.3e203e93653984c5a08600815d75ba26.jpg

We just returned; visited Frog & Onion Tuesday afternoon before departing Bermuda. Our food was good; I had curry chicken salad (it was huge), but once back on the ship our friends said they had eaten there Monday night and saw cockroaches crawling up the walls and around the floor. Wish we knew that ealier -- yikes!!

I know the North Americans equate roachs with uncleanliness but that is not so. I grew up in Bermuda and visit 3 or 4 times a year and know that roaches are part of the tropics and island life. They are found anywhere on the island and especially in the Dockard area with all the old stone buildings and yes, even on your cruise ship. At night especially if the weather is rainy (they even fly) you will see them climbing up the ropes from the dock. Your cruise ship does everthing in the power to eliminate them and so does every other business in the Dockyard and the rest of Bermuda. I know for fact that the Frog & Onion fumigate for roachs on a regular basis. I'm sure the other restaurants do the same. Roachs are a reality on the Island everyone does their best to control them however, it is impossible to eliminate them (obviously). To add to this for what it is worth I am still terrified of them and when in Bermuda if one is found in the bedroom at night I will not go to bed until it is DEAD......

I know the North Americans equate roachs with uncleanliness but that is not so. I grew up in Bermuda and visit 3 or 4 times a year and know that roaches are part of the tropics and island life. They are found anywhere on the island and especially in the Dockard area with all the old stone buildings and yes, even on your cruise ship. At night especially if the weather is rainy (they even fly) you will see them climbing up the ropes from the dock. Your cruise ship does everthing in the power to eliminate them and so does every other business in the Dockyard and the rest of Bermuda. I know for fact that the Frog & Onion fumigate for roachs on a regular basis. I'm sure the other restaurants do the same. Roachs are a reality on the Island everyone does their best to control them however, it is impossible to eliminate them (obviously). To add to this for what it is worth I am still terrified of them and when in Bermuda if one is found in the bedroom at night I will not go to bed until it is DEAD......

Yep...they like warm moist places and they are everywhere, it's just that you don't always see them. Recently in Las Vegas I was sitting at a table outside of the hotel and HUGE ones would come out of the bushes and haul away any food that was dropped. Oh, and FLORIDA......a friend says they all have a competition to see who has the best cr story. She thinks she won when she pulled a meatloaf out of the oven and one was sitting on top of it.:eek::p:D She also says she never puts on an item of clothing without thoroughly shaking it out first.

Yup, roaches are a way of life here. Didn't you know that our unofficial national bird is the cockroach (because they fly) and our unofficial national flower is mildew (because it's so humid).

The restaurants fumigate against them all the time but in old buildings, like the ones in Dockyard, they are hard to get rid of. Trust me, we're always battling against bugs here, especially ants and cockroaches. My house is clean, but I have to seal everything in ziploc bags and plastic containers or else I'll come home one day and find the roaches carrying my groceries out the door.

I love the Frog & Onion, myself. It's one of my favourite eateries in Dockyard.

Yep...they like warm moist places and they are everywhere, it's just that you don't always see them. Recently in Las Vegas I was sitting at a table outside of the hotel and HUGE ones would come out of the bushes and haul away any food that was dropped. Oh, and FLORIDA......a friend says they all have a competition to see who has the best cr story. She thinks she won when she pulled a meatloaf out of the oven and one was sitting on top of it.:eek::p:D She also says she never puts on an item of clothing without thoroughly shaking it out first.

I lived in Texas for a few years and they had huge flying cockroaches. Ick. I hated them.

Yeah, you can't get away from the roaches in Bermuda, it's just a fact of life in the tropics.

How many people remember Dockyard back in 1992 when F&O opened? Back in the day when Meridian was the only regular caller? (May she rest in peace ) No tourist traps back then, just abandoned buildings. Tour operators actually went on board the ship to do business back then.

The bad service doesn't surprise me though, they seem to have a high staff turnover. If Tommy Harvey is there ask him to sing Shame & Scandal .

I remember Dockyard when they didn't even have a cruise ship pier or the marina and I also remember what used to be where Snorkel Park is now ;)... if I recall correctly, all that was there was Freeport Gardens and the museum.

I used to go there and help my father catch bait when I was little. My grandparents loved fishing off the arm there when they lived here. Back then, you could catch some good sized snapper from the dock.

I remember Dockyard when they didn't even have a cruise ship pier or the marina and I also remember what used to be where Snorkel Park is now ;)... if I recall correctly, all that was there was Freeport Gardens and the museum.

I used to go there and help my father catch bait when I was little. My grandparents loved fishing off the arm there when they lived here. Back then, you could catch some good sized snapper from the dock.

I have seen ships crew members fishing off the dock.

Archived