Thomson Destiny Basic Questions

Hi there,

My wife and I are planning to take our first cruise next month on the Thomson Destiny.

I have a couple of questions. Firstly,does it matter which deck you are on?

Secondly, is there much engine noise at night? (My wife is a very light sleeper!)

Thirdly, can you hear much noise from the next door cabins?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Nonwood:)

Welcome.

We have been on Destiny 3 times so far and have always been on deck 5 outside, but the cabins are no bigger than on the lower decks apparently so we have said we will probably not pay the extra for a higher deck again, but would pay for an outside cabin as we do like some natural light.

We have never experienced engine noise, but someone else will probably give more info on this if they have had cabins on different decks and more towards the front or back. We've always opted for pretty central cabins.

Thirdly, you can hear noise from the cabins next door. How much depends on how loudly the occupants talk or how loud they have their TV. You can also hear wardrobe doors etc being closed sometimes.

I hope this hasn't put you off Destiny, cos she is a fabulous ship and it wouldn't stop me going on her again, and again.

Regards

Janet:)

Agree about engine noise i.e never noticed it.found her to be very smooth.

We heard some noises from next door but this is fairly normal on cruse ships .I am very fussy about intrusive noises but I enjoyed myself so much I would go on the Destiny again any time.

It had a really good atmosphere.We enjoy quiet cruises and there is enough places on board to find peace and quiet if you want it.

Enjoy:):):)

Thanks for your prompt replies, much appreciated. A couple of other points have ocurred to me.

Firstly, are all outside cabin beds L shaped? Are there any that can be pushed together to make a double bed?

Secondly, is the drinks package worth having? If I choose not to take the drinks package are the drinks much more expensive than pub prices?

Finally, are any of the outside cabins restricted views and if so on what deck?

Thanks in advance again.

Secondly, is the drinks package worth having? If I choose not to take the drinks package are the drinks much more expensive than pub prices?

Thanks in advance again.

A week's drinks package is about £150 for an adult and bar prices are reasonable - not a lot different to the UK. If you say a beer/spirit/soft drink is about £2.50 then you will need to average around 8 drinks a day to get your money's worth. Remember - all people in your party must have the drinks package.

Hi again Nonwood

I think there are some outside cabins with beds side by side in the outside cabins. I've always opted for an L shape cos I can get a bit further away from the OH snoring -LOL. If you phone Thomson they can tell you which cabins on which decks are the layout you want and they can also tell you which ones have restricted views - usually higher up decks due to the lifeboats.

We always go for the AI (if we don't get it free as we have with our July 2010 Med Cruise). It works out around £20 per person per day, but what you have to remember is that it is not only alcoholic drinks you have to take into account, it's also all your soft drinks and speciality coffees etc as well and if you are back on board early afternoon after a trip and it's hot you will probably have a couple of drinks to cool down. Cocktails are included as well and these are lovely, and it's very easy to drink several of these in an evening.

Anyway there's lots of opinions on the AI and it really is a personal thing.

Hope this helps again:D

Janet

'Secondly, is the drinks package worth having?---------only if you are a serious alcoholic. - from Ozzimandius'

Why is it that when the All Inclusive package is mentioned it is automatically assumed you are only going to drink Alcohol!!!!

I am certainly NOT a serious alcoholic and usually drink alcoholic drinks in the evening (apart from a couple of cocktails in the day) but it is quite easy to drink £20 worth of Cokes, Virgin Cocktails, coffees and hot chocolates during one day. As vwgolf mentioned earlier it only equates to around 8 drinks a day and they do not have be alcoholic.

Janet

On my last Celebration cruise I was drinking 3 or 4 virgin cocktails on hot days and there was all the coffee etc etc so I reckon on 'hot' cruises having to purchase a AI upgrade should be considered.

Or book early, I have 3 cruises with free AI lined up :D

Dave

On my last Celebration cruise I was drinking 3 or 4 virgin cocktails on hot days and there was all the coffee etc etc so I reckon on 'hot' cruises having to purchase a AI upgrade should be considered.

Or book early, I have 3 cruises with free AI lined up :D

Dave

Can I first ask if you have to pay for tea and coffee, are there no facilities in the cabins:eek:? Also on Ocean Village you could just get a tea or coffee at any time from the 24 hour buffett.

My second question, who do you book with??:o

In terms of booking Thomson cruises I would say look at the online price from their website then check with a Thomson travel agent to see if they will match or better the price. Even if the price is the same with the travel agent, you might get a better deal on airport parking. It certainly worked for me.

There are some times when it is better to go direct to the travel agent _ particularly when a new brochure is due out. I would then do it the other way round - get the travel agent's price and compare with the on line price.

Can I first ask if you have to pay for tea and coffee, are there no facilities in the cabins:eek:? Also on Ocean Village you could just get a tea or coffee at any time from the 24 hour buffett.

My second question, who do you book with??:o

Thomsons don't have tea/coffee facilities in the cabins but it is free 24/7 from the buffet. There is only one sort of brown liquid (coffee?) but lots of different teas.

I still have to work out the difference between English and Irish breakfast tea apart from one has a green packet!

Seasoned cruisers also take their own coffee bags or even a travel mug with a lid for 'lumpy' weather.

'Secondly, is the drinks package worth having?---------only if you are a serious alcoholic.

just not worth it.you would end up drinking for the sake of it just to get your money's worth.

Shock, horror, people drink on holiday, how dare they?:eek:

Archived