I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Donna Kincaid,

It's my pleasure to help.

The cable car ride from Funchal to Monte, is 10 euros one way and 14.50 euros round trip. If you’re taking the Monte to the Botanical Gardens route, it will be 8.25 euros one way and 12.75 euros round trip.

There is a package that includes a cable car round trip Funchal/Monte/Funchal and entrance to the Tropical Gardens in Monte and costs 23.75 euros, entrance to the Gardens only, is 10 euros. If you choose to visit these gardens, I’d advise you to go early, as there is a lot to see.

A package including cable car and entrance to the Botanical gardens is not available, however entrance to the Botanical Gardens is only 3 euros. These gardens aren’t as big as the Tropical Gardens, but are also beautiful.

For payments, both cable car lines have a cash machine, but the entrance to both gardens is only payable in cash.

Any further questions you may have, feel free to ask.

Edited by biaria

Hi MightyQuinn, how are you?

For uniqueness and spectacularity, the Monte Tropical.

Well then Monte Tropical it is!

We're very excited to finally make it to Madeira & we look forward to an action-packed day. You've been a wonderful resource in our planning so thanks again, Biaria. :):)

Biaria,

Thanks so much for the info about the gardens and Monte. I see that there is a bus that goes up to Monte as well. Do you recommend the bus system? How much is the fare? Also, is there a Hop-on, Hop-off tourist bus in Madeira, and if so, what is the cost for it? Thank you again. We look forward to visiting your home.

Donna Kincaid

Hi Donna Kincaid,

It's really my pleasure to help whenever necessary.

Yes, we also have the HOHO bus. One ticket for the yellow HOHO bus costs 10 euros and, with that ticket, you can then use the public transport, for free, during that same day, meaning you wouldn’t have to buy another ticket for your bus ride to Monte. Otherwise, one ticket bought inside the normal bus costs 2.05 euros per person per trip.

Our public bus system isn't bad, however, on busier hours, you may find the buses too packed, but nothing to worry about, though.

The HOHO bus will take you on a pleasant, informative 1h15m roundtrip and, as normally happens with any HOHO bus, you’ll be able to hop on and off as you please.

Edited by biaria

Hi sddsddean,

Nice to see you're interested in Madeira.

Tourists usually give, each basket ride man, a 1 euro or a 2 euro coin.

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks very much. I had heard it was around €10.

Simon

Hi Michelle,

Yes, you can visit all these site in one day and on your own. if you are a good walker, you won't even have to use any type of transport.

Having a map with you will be very helpful.

• After a 30 to 40 minute walk from your ship, you'll reach the Market.

• Then you take the Cable Car to Monte, the station in town is quite close to the Market.

• Once in Monte you do the basket ride.

• Now, after you're finished with the basket ride, you'll be in Livramento, which is 2km away from the center of town. You can either walk all the way down or choose to take the bus or a taxi, your choice will depend on how well you walk.

• If you choose to walk to town, in about 45 minutes you'll be at the Old Blandy Wine Lodge. They offer online reservations for guided tours, if you're interested.

• From Blandy it will take you about 20 to 30 minutes to get back to your ship.

Enjoy your day in Madeira.

Thanks very much. I had heard it was around €10.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I remembered just now: the 10 euros you may have to spend at the end of the Toboggan ride, is if you decide to buy your picture, taken during your ride, plus a DVD of Madeira.

Hi Simon,

I remembered just now: the 10 euros you may have to spend at the end of the Toboggan ride, is if you decide to buy your picture, taken during your ride, plus a DVD of Madeira.

OK Biaria, thanks for the info. Is it easy to find your way walking from the bottom of the basket ride back to the sea? Just head downhill I suppose!

Simon

Hi again Simon,

The first portion of the walk back to the ship is downhill, so all you have to do is keep going down, however once you get to town, you may still need some directions to find your way back to the ship. Unless, of course, you are an adventurous person and have enough time left to keep on walking until you get sight of the sea, which won't be too far anyway.

Hi again Simon,

The first portion of the walk back to the ship is downhill, so all you have to do is keep going down, however once you get to town, you may still need some directions to find your way back to the ship. Unless, of course, you are an adventurous person and have enough time left to keep on walking until you get sight of the sea, which won't be too far anyway.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Are there things to see within walking distance of the pier?

Hi MISSYLOU,

Yes, the whole town is within walking distance of the pier.

You can visit the Market, wine lodges, the Old Town area, gardens, wander through the streets....

You can also take the cable car ride to Monte, 10 euros per person one way and 14.50 roundtrip. If you go up to Monte and decide to do the Toboggan ride, please beware that it ends 2km away from the centre of town. If you are very good walkers, it may take you about 1 hour to reach the ship, the first half being a steep downhill walk.