I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

our thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Madiera - have seen footage of the floods this morning - we had terrible floods in our county at the end of last year so are very aware of the devastation it brings

We have all of you on Madeira in our thoughts and prayers. I pray that you come through this quickly and safely, and that the island is restored to its glory very soon ... please keep us posted..

Carol in SC

Know we are all thinking of you ~~as I spend time on Madeira each year I am very interested in learning more of the flooding.

I was able to view a web cam earlier today~ the promanade along the seawall looked deserted ~~no cars.

I have contacted friends in Funchal ~hopefully will hear from them soon.

Martita B.

I was saddened to see on our local news today, of the devastating mudslides in Madiera. My husband and I just made our first visit to Funchal, Madiera, on Wed , Feb 10 during our cruise on the Norwegian Jade. It is so heartbreaking to see the films of the damage there. Madiera is a beautiful island and the people are so friendly. At the time we were there, they were decorating the city for the annual Carnivale festival, so the town was bustling with activity. We are keeping the people of Madiera in our hearts and prayers as the people attempt to restore the beauty to their beautiful home. Biaria and family, our hearts are with you.

Dee

Hello everyone!

Thank God we're all safe and sound. I must say we're very lucky not to have been caught in the floods.

So much distruction, it's an unbelievable sight.

Authorities are doing all they can, trying to have Funchal back to normal as soon as possible. Cleaning work is underway day and night, but it's a hard long job.

Our cable connection was restored just a while ago and I had to come here straight away.

Thank you so much for your concern and all the kind thoughts.

God Bless.

Hello everyone!

Thank God we're all safe and sound. I must say we're very lucky not to have been caught in the floods.

So much distruction, it's an unbelievable sight.

Authorities are doing all they can, trying to have Funchal back to normal as soon as possible. Cleaning work is underway day and night, but it's a hard long job.

Our cable connection was restored just a while ago and I had to come here straight away.

Thank you so much for your concern and all the kind thoughts.

God Bless.

Biara....I'm so relieved to hear that you and your family are fine. What a horrendous sight...I've seen some pictures and video taken....such devastation....be strong...lots of prayers going your way for you and your fellow countrypersons....you'll remain in our thoughts until all is back to normal!!

Joyce

Edited by ladysail2

Thank you so much everybody, for all your kindness, thoughts, prayers … it’s been so reassuring, to feel all your support.

For such a small place as ours, the numbers are hard to accept: so far we have 600 homeless, 42 deaths, 28 still missing. From the 60 something injured,18 are still in hospital.

Sadly, as the work goes on, more bodies are being found, especially in the residential areas.

Cleaning teams, together with populars, have been unbelievably quick and efficient, some areas are already clean.

Walking in town is still very limited though and the Cable Car station will only open in about a month.

Luckily, many parts remained intact. The whole of the hotel area is completely normal and doesn’t even seem to be so close to the hell into what our town turned to, last Saturday.

As our Government says, let’s all look forward, start a new stage in our lives. Next up in Madeira? … the Flower Festival.

And to all our tourists … we’re still here for you!

Over the years, Madeiran people have been seduced by consumerism and a sign of status was to own a car, the husdand, the wife, the children … everybody had to have their own car.

And now, how many destroyed vehicles were found so far? 500!!!

Edited by biaria

Thank you for your helpful reports ~~can you tell us if Old Town (Market) was damaged by the mudslides? I'll be in Funchal on March 30th and certainly look forward to visiting my favorite spot on earth~ Madeira!

I did check the Funchal web cam early this morning and was so pleased to see a ship in port ~~

Thanks again!

Martita

Hi Martita B.,

Yes, the Market area was badly damaged, but all is getting back to normal again.

Yesterday we had the first visit of a cruise ship, after 6 cancellations because of the floods. The Cable Car started functioning yesterday also and several shops, as well as the Market, reopened already.

Driving and walking in town is still very conditioned, with police everywhere to make sure everything runs smoothly, but I think on March 30th things will be much more on the normal side.

Thank you for your helpful reports ~~can you tell us if Old Town (Market) was damaged by the mudslides? I'll be in Funchal on March 30th and certainly look forward to visiting my favorite spot on earth~ Madeira!

I did check the Funchal web cam early this morning and was so pleased to see a ship in port ~~

Thanks again!

Martita

I will be in Funchal March 30 on Regatta, or at least hope to be as I do enjoy the stop. No word from Oceania about any change, they're probably playing it by ear.

Robert