I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hello Biaria,

I see that you are so helpful to others and have a question. We will stop at Funchal on a Sunday (not until May of 2011) from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m. It seems like most things will be closed. What can you suggest to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Frances

Hello Frances,

Yes, it's my pleasure to help visitors coming to Madeira.

That's correct, most things are closed on Sundays, however you can still, for instance, take the Cable Car up to Monte, visit the Botanical Gardens either by taking the Cable Car from Monte to the Gardens or taking the bus in town and heading straight to the Botanical Gardens.

Another option would be a tour to the country side.

Some Shopping Centres will be open too.

Edited by biaria

Hello Frances,

Yes, it's my pleasure to help visitors coming to Madeira.

That's correct, most things are closed on Sundays, however you can still, for instance, take the Cable Car up to Monte, visit the Botanical Gardens either by taking the Cable Car from Monte to the Gardens or taking the bus in town and heading straight to the Botanical Gardens.

Another option would be a tour to the country side.

Some Shopping Centres will be open too.

Thanks for your quick reply, Biaria,

If we just took the Cable Car up to Monte would there be anything to do up there if we didn't visit the gardens? I'd like to see the gardens but I think the Cable Cars stop running at 6:00 and I want to make sure we get back. Unfortunately, the ship doesn't arrive until 2:00 p.m. so that doesn't give us much time. I think riding the Cable Cars would be fun.

Also, I just read all the previous posts and read about the big storms you had. That one video was very frightening. I'm glad that you were ok and that things are getting back to normal for everyone.

In Monte you can visit the church, but I can't guarantee that it'll be open when you get there.

The gardens in Monte are the Tropical Gardens, you can also choose to visit them, if you wish - but allow at least 2 hours -and take the cable down to town again. The last cable car ride is at 5:45pm.

The Botanical Gardens are somewhere else and it's possible reach them, taking another cable car in Monte. These gardens can be visit in 1 hour. When you're finished, you can either take the reverse cable car rides, namely back to Monte and then back to town, or take a bus or taxi from the Botanical Gardens to town (or to the cruise ship, in case you choose the taxi ride).

Yes, fortunately Funchal is almost back to its normal self, repair work now is down to a minimum. Areas outside Funchal are taking longer to be fixed, though.

Edited by biaria

Thankyou Biaria, for all the great info on this site.. We are thinking of booking for next april 2011 and it is Easter week. april 24th 2011, we will be there on the sat the day before Easter, will there be tours or shops still open during the holy weekend. also we will be in lisbon the day after Easter, will things be close there too. Really would like to go to fatima but afriad things will be closed on that monday...Would you know anything about lisbon too.

Oh, by the way, my great grandparents are from the your home island of maderia.

Thankyou

Bev

Hi Bev,

I now realized that the Monday after Easter Sunday next year is Freedom Day, a public holiday, so things will be closed, however it may still be possible for you to go to Fátima.

Hi Biaria

We just returned from our cruise. Thank you so much for all your information . We shared a taxi w/another couple to the market (10E's total) Went to Montes on the funicular(SP?) rode the toboggan, took the local bus back to town then went to the flower market, Wine lodge and strolled around town...but the walk back to the ship is a long one!!!! about 45 min at a good pace.... We would take a taxi back to the ship next time..

Hi wrk2cruz,

Nice to know you were here already. Did you like Funchal?

As I can see, you used your time very well.

Oh ... for you to take 45 minutes to reach your cruise ship and at a good walking pace, I'm thinking it must have docked at the very end of the pier.

Hi wrk2cruz,

Nice to know you were here already. Did you like Funchal?

As I can see, you used your time very well.

Oh ... for you to take 45 minutes to reach your cruise ship and at a good walking pace, I'm thinking it must have docked at the very end of the pier.

We had a wonderful day in Funchal!!! I was just looking at our photos and the video I took while on the toboggan ride!!! What fun!!! Wish we could have stayed longer!

and yes, I think we may have been at the end of the pier ...but we walked from Blandys back to the market and then back to the ship, it may have been closer if we would have just gone to the ship from Blandys ...it was a long walk !!

I'm pleased to know you enjoyed your Madeira visit.

Yes ... the problem was you walking from Blandy's back to the market. If you had walked from Blandy's straight to the port, as you are good walkers, it would have taken you not more than 30 minutes ... and this, if your cruise ship was docked at the far end of the pier.

Edited by biaria

Hello Biaria,

We were in Funchal about a year ago in the fall and will return this coming October. It was one of our favorite ports and are delighted that it will be a 2 day stay this time. My husband has talked so much about the espada we ate there. Do you have a favorite place to eat this fish?

Thanks for your help,

Nancy

Hello Biaria,

We were in Funchal about a year ago in the fall and will return this coming October. It was one of our favorite ports and are delighted that it will be a 2 day stay this time. My husband has talked so much about the espada we ate there. Do you have a favorite place to eat this fish?

Thanks for your help,

Nancy

Nancy, our local "experts" are not allowed to make specific recommendations for local businesses. Perhaps one of our members will have a suggestion for you.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

My wife made a great decision to schedule a "Levada Walk" with Madeira Seekers on our 1-day visit to Funchal, Madeira last week April 18th, 2010.

A great way to see/experience one of the unique/special places of this amazing island with fantastic views from 300m out to the ocean.

Guide picked us up on-time, where we agreed and was multi-lingual and very helpful to showing us wonderful sights. 10 km along the often-muddy, sometimes-washed out trail was a bit more difficult than "moderate", but then I am a bit out-of-shape.

This was a great trip for a very fair price and I would recommend Madeira Seekers again.

Doug Rubin

Princeton, NJ

We were there April 1st and had a 7 hour tour with Daniel. I posted about it on this thread. He took us to an amazing restaurant with a 180 degree view and fabulous local fish (beef on the skewer too) and fresh veggies and salad. We saw things and enjoyed foods that most would not. If you want his email let me know. We plan to return next year and the first thing my husband said was 'make sure we get Daniel'.

Hello Biaria,

Thanks for your help,

Nancy

Hello Nancy,

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but as Host Karen explained, I'm not allowed to recommend any local businesses.

Thankfully, MamaQuack came up with her kind reply.

jd-taxi@hotmail.com is how we contacted him; he is a lifelong resident of Madeira so he knows everyone and everywhere - all you would need do is ask and he will find it, show it or drive you to it. When we reached our lunch destination we were just so spellbound by the view - I would have eaten cereal and been happy. Then they brought out the platters of fresh salad, veggies and I knew I was in heaven. Then the fish and mt husband and cousin were just taken by the beef on the large skewer. It was an unexpected bonus to an already great day. I hope he is available for your travel time.

In Monte you can visit the church, but I can't guarantee that it'll be open when you get there.

The gardens in Monte are the Tropical Gardens, you can also choose to visit them, if you wish - but allow at least 2 hours -and take the cable down to town again. The last cable car ride is at 5:45pm.

Thank you Biara,

The ship is supposed to get there at 2:00 p.m. Do you think if we took a taxi from the ship to the bottom of the Cable Car we would get to Monte by 3:30? If so we could spend about 1 1/2 hours at the Tropical Gardens and then still have time to catch the cable car back by 5:45. What do you think?

Thank you.

Frances

Hello Frances,

Yes, I think you'll manage be in Monte by 3:30. If your cruise ship arrives at 2:00pm, you'll probably be able to be outside by 2:30. Fifteen minutes later, give or take, you'll be droped off at the Cable Car station. Then adding the time for you to buy your tickets, take the Cable car ride (another 15 minutes) and walk to the Tropical Gardens, you'll most certainly be inside by 3:30.

After a nice visit, you'll be ready to go down before the Cable Car station closes.

If you're really sure you'll be taking the Cable Car down, then I'd advise you to buy a round trip ticket, as it will end up being more economical: a one way ticket costs 10 euros per person and a round trip ticket costs 15 euros.

Edited by biaria

Hello Biaria,

Yes, I do understand and I apologize for putting you on the spot. You are certainly more than appreciated on this board.

Thanks, Mama Quack. I am writing to Daniel to ask about your restaurant. You don't remember the name?

Nan

We visited Madeira on the Disney Magic April 18. I booked Daniel to take us on a personal tour of the West of the Island. We had the most amazing Day. Daniel was very informative and even our 11 and 8 year old enjoyed this marvelous tour. We even did a quick tour of the volcanic caves and made it back in time to view the yearly flower parade. Funchal was my favourite port and Daniel my favourite guide. I would highly recommend Daniel.

Hello Biaria,

Yes, I do understand and I apologize for putting you on the spot. You are certainly more than appreciated on this board.

Thanks, Mama Quack. I am writing to Daniel to ask about your restaurant. You don't remember the name?

Nan

Hello Nancy,

No problem whatsoever.

Cheers!

Thank you again, Biaria,

One more thing....are taxi's available near the Tropical Gardens in Monte? If so, how much would it cost to take one back to the ship if we decided we wanted to spend more time up there? I think you said it would be 7.50 from the ship to the cable car and 10 one way or 15 round trip on cable car to Monte. I realize that these prices might go up by next year.

Thank you.

Frances

Hello again Frances,

Yes, taxis are available near the Tropical Gardens, from there to the cruise ship terminal the normal rate is 15 euros. Remember, the Tropical Gardens close at 6pm.

That's correct, from the ship to the cable car station it's 7.50 euros and the cable car ride up to Monte is 10 euros one way and 15 euros round trip.

You are right, if you're coming next year, prices may be higher.