I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

I would definitely recommend hiring a driver. We loved Daniel. He can and will take you to places not listed in the guidebooks. He gave us a day we will never forget and made the best use of the time we had to spend there.

I would definitely recommend hiring a driver. We loved Daniel. He can and will take you to places not listed in the guidebooks. He gave us a day we will never forget and made the best use of the time we had to spend there.

Alas MamaQuack. Daniel is already booked. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Edited by ibethenanya
spelling & grammar

We are arriving November 1, 2010 on the Westerdam and I am wondering if tour operators will be working and what will be open for sightseeing on this holiday. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Connie

Hi again ibethenanya,

I just noticed Westerdam is visiting Madeira on November 3rd not 1st, so on a normal working day.

Thanks Biaria. We did consider renting a car - however, I have read about driving being stressful because of the winding roads. We don't mind that, but our biggest concern would the road signage. If we rent a car from Funchal, do you think we can make it out to Pico do Arieiro without any trouble? I just don't want to be lost and trying to find our way all the time if there aren't good signage on the roads. For the taxi, I was quoted a $160 Euro fare to take us from the pier to Pico Do Arieiro then pick us up from Achada do Teixeira after the hike. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Hello MsCruiserT,

You're wecome!

If you choose to rent a car, you will need a good map to help you drive from Funchal to Pico do Arieiro, as road signs aren't that plentifull.

In case you opt for the rented car, you'll have to get back to Pico do Arieiro, to drive to Funchal in the end. To do this, you can either walk all the way back from Pico Ruivo to Pico do Arieiro, or continue walking after you get to Achada do Teixeira, until you reach Santana, and take a taxi to take you back to Pico do Arieiro. This taxi ride will cost you no less than 60 Euros.

The 160 Euros you were quoted are, in my opinion, on the fair side.

Edited by biaria

Ah, that's what I thought(about the road signs not being sufficient). We're going to do the taxi instead. Actually I realized the quote was for $130 Euros not $160. Have you done this hike yourself? Has anyone else on this thread/board done it?

Hello MsCruiserT,

Oh... I must admit 130 Euros sounds much better! :)

I never did this hike myself, but some members of my family have and it's a very popular itinerary.

You must be warned, though, that, apart from some flat ground, it's mostly downhill and uphill and there's steps as well.

Hopefully, someone will be able to give you a first hand appreciation on this hike.

Oh we're good with hills, we go hiking all the time. Someone directed me to a thread on Trip Advisor where people did this hike and I found very good information. I also found a tour company that offers guided hikes in groups, much more economical than the taxi option. I hope to make a reservation with them. Thank you for all your help, you are indeed very knowledgeable!

Hello MsCruiserT,

Oh... then you'll love your walk!

Yes, going with a tour company, specialized in group hikes, is much, much better. It's safer and you'll have a lot more fun, than going on your own.

Enjoy!

Biara, Your messages have been a great source of information. So far I have not seen any reference to the Hop On Hop Off bus. I did find that there is one there, but did not find where one can pick it up from the port, nor did I find a route. Can you guide me? I do want to go to the gardens, really have no interest in wrecking my back further with the basket ride, but do want to see everything I can in the time we have in port. Thanks for any reply

Edited by imaproctor

Hello imaproctor,

In fact, I have already made reference to the HOHO bus, but, among so many posts, you probably missed it.

You're right, there's the HOHO bus in Funchal too. It used to stop right at the entrance to the pier, when there were cruise ships docked, but not any more. However, if you keep walking close to the water front, you'll reach a bus stop area and you can take the HOHO there as well.

The HOHO bus does two tours: one to several interesting points in the Funchal area and another one to Câmara de Lobos, a small fishing town.

If you use the oficial yellow HOHO bus, a 12 Euro per person ticket will enable you to use the HOHO as much as you like and the yellow public buses as well.

To visit the Botanical Gardens, you take bus n. 31 or 31 A. If you're interested in the Tropical Gardens in Monte, you can either take the Cable car or bus n. 20 or 21.

Edited by biaria

Oh we're good with hills, we go hiking all the time. Someone directed me to a thread on Trip Advisor where people did this hike and I found very good information. I also found a tour company that offers guided hikes in groups, much more economical than the taxi option. I hope to make a reservation with them. Thank you for all your help, you are indeed very knowledgeable!

Hi MsCruiserT,

I think I should let you know that we had some terrible fires on the island yesterday. The Pico Ruivo and Achada do Teixeira were among the burnt areas, so make sure they'll be in acceptable condition for your hike next month.

Sadly, you won't be able to enjoy the sheer beauty of the place. The vegetation will recover eventually, of course, but it will take sometime.

Edited by biaria

Hello imaproctor,

In fact, I have already made reference to the HOHO bus, but, among so many posts, you probably missed it.

You're right, there's the HOHO bus in Funchal too. It used to stop right at the entrance to the pier, when there were cruise ships docked, but not any more. However, if you keep walking close to the water front, you'll reach a bus stop area and you can take the HOHO there as well.

The HOHO bus does two tours: one to several interesting points in the Funchal area and another one to Câmara de Lobos, a small fishing town.

If you use the oficial yellow HOHO bus, a 12 Euro per person ticket will enable you to use the HOHO as much as you like and the yellow public buses as well.

To visit the Botanical Gardens, you take bus n. 31 or 31 A. If you're interested in the Tropical Gardens in Monte, you can either take the Cable car or bus n. 20 or 21.

Thanks for your information. I've printed it out and will carry it with me on our November cruise. By the way, how is the usual weather in early November?

And the Pico do Areeiro area is burnt, too. Madeira's Ecologic Park starts just below Pico do Areeiro and it is 95% burnt.

Jesus... what is happening to my island?

Biara, So sorry to hear about the fires. I hope they are over and you don't get any more.

Hello Betty,

Yes, that's our big concern right now!

Replanting will start soon I think, but it won't be enough to prevent mudslides, in case it rains too much.

We're all seriously hoping, we won't have any delugian rains this winter.

So sorry to hear of the recent fires ~'I'll declare....beautiful Madeira has certainly had it trials this year!

Will arrive in Funchal on Nov 5th ~always look forward to spending time at the Old Market buying bouquets of exotic flowers. I've been visiting Madeira for 10 years ~someday I'm going to fly over and spend a couple of weeks! Coming by cruise ship for one day simply does not allow enough time to enjoy your wonderful Island!

When I come to spend some time I'll probably stay at the Dias Hotel ~~a fantastic property. I've toured the hotel ~I was impressed ~I met both the Father and his Son ~sooo nice and helpful!

Looking forward to my day in Old Town ~

Martita B.

Biaria,

We're so sorry about the fires. We are going to be in Funchal for the first time on Oct.29th. What would you suggest that first time visitors see and do on such a short visit? I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past year. Also,what are the open hours of the market?

Thank you.

Judy

Not sure how long you have in port. We were lucky to overnight. We spent the first afternoon leisurely strolling the city shops and market. The next day we hired a private driver - Daniel. We saw more with him than we imagined possible. Great, unusual places, great lunch with a spectacular view. Not for everyone but it was wonderful for us.

Good morning all

Biaria – We found where the #31 bus stop in town. We can check to see if it is accessible on our way to the cable car. If it is accessible, we will take it to the botanical garden and come back on the cable car through Monte.

Would you happen to know if they sell eel in the market or if it is on any of the restaurant menus?

Betty