I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

hi Biaria, sorry to trouble you again but are you able to tell me how often the buses run from the bottom of the toboggan run at Livramento and where they drop you off in funchal town. Is it anywhere near Blandy wine lodge. Cant seem to find a bus timetable anywhere. Many thanks to you.

Hi cool cat cruiser,

You're not troubling me at all!

The bus at the end of the Toboggan ride runs with an average of every 30 minutes.

Yes, if you drop off at the last bus stop in town, which is along the water front avenue, you won't be far from Blandy's, I'd say you'll walk there in 10 minutes.

hi again Biaria,

If we get off at the last bus stop and walk to the Blandys Wine Lodge are we then far from the port and do you know how long it would take to walk back to our cruise ship from there. One question always seem to lead to another but i promise this will be the last. Many thanks.Cool Cat Cruiser. :confused::D

greetings,

I see alot of people asking about the gardens, market and the cable car, but I am interested in Levada Walking

The web says that I can take the cable car up and walk down, but I can not find a map online anywhere.

I am thinking a 5-7km walk as I know that my mother will want to join me and she is not as fit as I, mind you she did a crazy hard 5.5km walk this summer so I have faith in her.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Hello Sarah,

A good 7km levada walk is Levada do Norte. It starts in Quinta Grande and finishes in Campanário, near the local football field. This walk will take about 2 hours.

how would I find the start and end, maps are not easy to come by online!

The easiest way will be for you to use a taxi to drop you off at the start of the Levada and wait for you at the end.

what kind of cost would that be and how far would it be from the port and the gondala?

I appreciate all your help!

Sarah

A taxi service such as this is suposed to cost 80 EUR, but be prepared to negotiate as you'll most certainly be overcharged.

From the port or from the end of the Gondola the start of Levada do Norte is at a distance of 12km.

• 3 weeks later...
Biaria,

When looking at various Madeira websites, it is evident there are many tour companies that offer their services for 1/2 day or full day tours. I think the Rabacal Levada walk would be good for my wife and I since we are able-bodied and enjoy hiking.

Biaria,

Pam and I returned home today from our cruise. I think we both agree that Madeira was one of the highlights of our trip. We enjoyed our taxi ride to Rabacal, the excellent tour from our driver, the awesome 5 hour Leveda walk, and the added sightseeing (including Daniel's hometown) as we were driven back to our ship.

The weather was perfect, even with the snow in the mountains (an unusual event for Madeira).

Thank you for your help in securing our transportation. Please give our greetings and thanks to your special driver. He made it an enjoyable trip!

Jim and Pam (and Ellie and Zoe, too!)

We are planning to take the cable car to Monte and back down after visiting the Tropical Gardens. Did I read somewhere that there is a combination ticket that we can purchase? How much is it and where would we purchase it from?

We are planning to take the cable car to Monte and back down after visiting the Tropical Gardens. Did I read somewhere that there is a combination ticket that we can purchase? How much is it and where would we purchase it from?

Hello shrinkerman, Good to know you'll be visiting Madeira. I know there are some combination tickets you can purchase, in fact I think I already posted an answer related to this matter. I'm away at the moment, when I get back I'll do some seach and I'll answer you.

Biara - thank you for providing this service. How far is it from the port to the centre and is there a shuttle/bus?

Hi cruisemate2308

My pleasure!

Some times shuttle buses are provided to cruise visitors, try to find out if there's one.

If you choose to walk, it will take you about 30 minutes from the pier to town.

Hello greenbar,

That's right, we're having the Flower Festival Parade on May 8th. It starts at 4pm, near the cable car station in town and runs along the main waterfront avenue first, before continuing to other downtown streets. From the pier there, it's something like a 30 minute walk.

Biaria,

We were in your lovely city on the NCL Jade a few weeks ago and loved it. Although we were only in port from 12-6,we walked to the cable car, rode it up to Monte, toured the church and looked around, rode it back down, walked through the market, had dessert at a sidewalk cafe and strolled through some shops. It was one of our favorite ports and we so appreciate all your valuable information.

NCL did NOT offer a shuttle and we were at the far dock,(there are closer ones) but the walk was lovely along the waterfront. Although it took about 40 minutes from the ship to the cable car station, it was a pleasant walk and it added to the enjoyment of the area. Some of our friends took the HOHO bus and loved it too. We hope to visit again sometime.

Thanks again.

Ava

PS We understand that 2 passengers were left at the dock. Several people saw them literally running to catch the ship, but they were too late! I guess they misjudged the time!

Hello Ava,

I'm so pleased you liked your time in Madeira so much.

I'm so sorry for the 2 passengers that were left behind, though. Yes, they must have misjudged the distance to the cruise ship. When you're in town, the cruise ship seems to be very close, but it takes a good 40 minutes walk, specially if it's at the far dock.

Hello Ava,

I'm so pleased you liked your time in Madeira so much.

I'm so sorry for the 2 passengers that were left behind, though. Yes, they must have misjudged the distance to the cruise ship. When you're in town, the cruise ship seems to be very close, but it takes a good 40 minutes walk, specially if it's at the far dock.

Hi

we are coming in to port next month on Disney Magic May 22-

we would like to go on a whale/dolphin excursion- we are looking at one that you can swim in the ocean for a little but too--

we are trying to find out what else we can do before & after the boat trip in town. We have 2 3yr olds & a 7yr old

do any of the whale/dolphin excursions also do city tours?

if no

do you think we would be best hiring a private tour guide or is everything close that we could use public transportation or walk?

thanks in advance for your thoughts

:)

Biaria,

PS We understand that 2 passengers were left at the dock. Several people saw them literally running to catch the ship, but they were too late! I guess they misjudged the time!

OH NO! What a nightmare for those people.

I really want to see these houses, and have no seen them offered on any tours, although I have emailed Daniels tours to see if he can put something together for us. However many of our shipmates are booking several tours with him so not sure he will be able to accomodate us. Is there a house that one can see the inside of? They just fascinate me.

And the Pico do Areeiro area is burnt, too. Madeira's Ecologic Park starts just below Pico do Areeiro and it is 95% burnt.

Jesus... what is happening to my island?

First that horrible flooding, then fires. 2010 was not a good year for Madeira, I sure hope that as I keep reading I find that 2011 has been much kinder to your island.