I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hello again Joan,

Strangely, my answer to your question never appeared on the Other Mediterranean Port's list, even though its showing here, so I wonder if you're aware that I replied to you already.

• 2 weeks later...

A question for you

We have visited your city before and loved the toboggan ride so want to do that again.

I would love to take the cable car up and then a taxi back to the ship. My question is can this be done with a person in a wheel chair.

1) Can the chair fit on the cable car?

2) How many stairs between the top station and the toboggan ride start?

3) Will we be able to find a taxi at the finish point of the toboggan ride?

Thanks so much for doing all this for us!!! Can you tell me how far it is from the port of Madeira to Fatima? Can it be done for a day while we are in port?

Hello xcomet

From the port to Fátima Chapel in Cabo Girão will be a 15 to 20 minute ride. Please beware that this is not the well known Fátima Sanctuary in Leiria, which is located in mainland Portugal. Also, this Fátima Chappel in Cabo Girão is usually closed.

Hello xcomet

From the port to Fátima Chapel in Cabo Girão will be a 15 to 20 minute ride. Please beware that this is not the well known Fátima Sanctuary in Leiria, which is located in mainland Portugal. Also, this Fátima Chappel in Cabo Girão is usually closed.

Wow, didnt know there were two. Yes I am referring to the Fatima Sanctuary. I visited the Virgin Mary house, in Ephesus, and was so moved, I thought I would try to visit Fatima, on our europe cruise 2012. I tried to google it , but distance and travel times dont show up.

So I am guessing if I wanted to go there, I would not be able to do it on a port day? If not, would I be able to fly in somewhere and perhaps start my trip from Leiria?

thank you again for all the help

A question for you

We have visited your city before and loved the toboggan ride so want to do that again.

I would love to take the cable car up and then a taxi back to the ship. My question is can this be done with a person in a wheel chair.

1) Can the chair fit on the cable car?

2) How many stairs between the top station and the toboggan ride start?

3) Will we be able to find a taxi at the finish point of the toboggan ride?

Hello BCHappyCal,

1) Yes, a wheelchair fits inside the cable car.

2) It's flat ground between the Cable Car station and the Tobogan ride, the only difficulty you'll find is that it's cobble stone pavement.

3) Yes, there's a taxi rank at the end of the Toboggan ride, but remember, the wheelchair won't fit on the wicker basket. If you take a taxi at the end of the Toboggan ride, don't let the driver rip you off. Be prepared to negotiate and don't pay more than 10 EUR if you're beeing dropped off in town or 15 EUR if you're being returned to your cruise ship.

Wow, didnt know there were two. Yes I am referring to the Fatima Sanctuary. I visited the Virgin Mary house, in Ephesus, and was so moved, I thought I would try to visit Fatima, on our europe cruise 2012. I tried to google it , but distance and travel times dont show up.

So I am guessing if I wanted to go there, I would not be able to do it on a port day? If not, would I be able to fly in somewhere and perhaps start my trip from Leiria?

thank you again for all the help

Hello again xcomet,

If your cruise stops in Lisbon, try to find out if you have enough time to visit Fátima. I don't know the exact distance, so I can't help much, but it's not too far away so it may be doable.

If you ever choose to start one of your cruises in Lisbon, you can fly in the day before and visit Fátima more leisurely.

It's me again. can you tell me how far from cruise ship to walk into town?

We will return from a tour around 12-30 and would like to go to a nice cafe in town, is this a long walk. we leave port at 4pm, so is there time??? THANKS BIARIA, JOAN>

Hello again Joan,

You're welcome!

To walk from your cruise ship to town, will take you about 30 to 40 minutes.

Maybe you can ask your driver to drop you off in town, instead of leaving you at the pier. As after your tour you won't have that much time to spare, it would give you an extra half an hour to enjoy Funchal.

I'm trying to decide what to do on our visit to Funchal. Most of the tour descriptions talk about steep cliffs and views from great heights.

What are the roads like to reach these places? Are they narrow with steep drops on the side? I don't know what to expect, and I'm reluctant to book a tour that might be more frightening than enjoyable.

Hello Babr,

Even though some roads have steep drops on the side, they're not too narrow - for our standards, that is - so you won't feel like you're going to fall over the edge.

If you're afraid of heights, maybe you'll feel more confortable touring in a smaller vehicle, rather than in a bus.

Thank you. I am reassured by your answer.

I am still reading through all the posts on your thread to see what advice you have given to others. This is a great source of information and will be quite useful in planning my day in Funchal. I'm very much looking forward to the visit.

Baba---Last November when we visited Madeira we booked a 7 hour tour with Daniel of Daniel Madeira Taxis.I can't say enough good things about Daniel.Excellent driver,very knowledgeable and proud of the island.We spent a very enjoyable day with him.One thing that stands out with me is that every time we stopped he would get first and open the door for my DW.Never once did he fail to.A fine gentleman--- with Daniel I wouldn't worry about narrow roads and steep drop offs

You will enjoy Maderia

Biara, thank you for such kind and detailed answers. I return to Funchal in November and wish to hike the laderas. Can you recommend an experienced guide who would do such an "eco walk" from the port up the hillsides? I can not find one on the Internet. Thank you in advance.

Hello wristband,

You're welcome.

I'm so sorry I'm not allowed to recommend anybody on CC, however I can add that walking guides usually only work on the Levadas and mountain paths which start far from the port, being necessary some kind of transportation first. Maybe if you contact normal walking guide companies, someone will accept to accompany you on your personalized walk.

Another option is you doing it yourself. Funchal is very easy to walk around and with a good map you won't go wrong. By "laderas" I think you mean venturing a bit on to the suburbs, right?

:) Hi Biaria,

Such a good suggestion re getting dropped in town by tour driver rather than back to pier then waste time going back to town.

30-40 mins is a lot of time, did'nt know it was quite that far. We will probably have to get a taxi back, do ya think? How much approx would that be? It would be a shame not to see a bit of the town, also we would just want a quick bite , is there somewhere like that we could eat and not take too much time?

Your a peach taking your time to give all this needed info, much appreciated. JOAN.

Hi Joan, it's all my pleasure!

A taxi ride from the town to the pier is 7.50 EUR.

If you're feeling energetic, you may even consider walking back to your cruise ship, however there's always the shortage of time issue.

Yes, you'll easily find places to have your quick meal, either along the water front avenue or down by the marina.

Me again Biaria,

Thanks for the info, but was wondering if getting something quick at the Marina is taking us away from the town! Are they in the same direction ? We will basically have 2-plus hrs once we finish our tour and get back in time for our 4pm sail away.(want to be back by 3).

Again thanks and november is still too long away!!! JOAN.

Hi Joan,

The Marina is basically in town, it's oposite the pier, on the town's side. In fact, the restaurants and bars on the Marina, were built right below the waterfront avenue. If you walk on to the quay, you'll be able to see the Marina restaurants and you can acess the Marina area, by walking down the steps from the quay.

I guess by now you're already counting the weeks still left till your departure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello GatorMomInNC,

The cable car cabins seat 8 passengers, in case one is too big, they'll probably only carry 7, unless the 8th person is very thin or a child. I looked on the website for any weight limits, but they don't say anything.

As far as the toboggans are concerned, in case you're too big, you may have to take the ride alone, but this will mean you'll pay 20 EUR, instead of 12.50 EUR sharing. However they also have 3 passenger baskets, which they can use for 2 people only, when necessary, avoiding you to pay single ticket.

Oh... the toboggan drivers are very strong, so no problem there! :)