I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi, been some great info for visitors.

We are arriving 20 Dec NCL Jade 8:00 -17:00.

Having been a few times before so have done the usual town based stuff we are considering a full day tour with one of the people recomended.

However before we commit(also for the other on our trip that are staying in town) is there anything likely to be happening in town that day that we should consider.

Also we normaly take a final beverage at one of the bars near/above the marina then walk back, have the bars reopened yet?

Hello insidecabin,

There's nothing special happening on 20 December, but the town will have lots of Christmas decorations.

It's a pity NCL Jade is sailing away so early and you won't be able to see Funchal illuminated. Lights are, usually, switched on at 6pm.

Yes, the bars above the marina are open.

Edited by biaria

Thanks,

I think we will look at a door to door from the ship and skip the town this time we have walked to the cable car and back enough times.

Just need to decide who to use(if available) and make up a small group.

My parents always mentioned how great the NY fireworks were, we are yet to time trip to get to see them. Not sure why NCL did not change the order for the cruise after us to be there for the fireworks(probably too many ships).

Pleasure!

I agree with you, if you've explored the town enough, it's about time you see more of the island.

Your parents were right about the New Year's Eve fireworks, it's a beautiful show and you must try to see it at least once.

This year we'll have 8 cruise ships on 31 December and with their increasing size, about half of them will have to tender.

HI again,

I have been looking at the bus map and was wondering if it would be easier/option for people from the ships to catch the buses nearer the port by going straight rather than swinging right towards the marina and town.

If I remember correctly you can head up towards av. de infante and it looks like there are a few buses that go that way.

It might be a cheap way to get to the town(market/cable) with less walking

Eg looking at bus 48 that seems to go to Monte but does take a long route but that might be quite a scenic?

Also is there a day pass or is it single ride only.

Edited by insidecabin

Hello,

I found the comments re the new port promanade very exciting - as the walk into town has been spoilt for some time. Does anyone know when the redevelopment will be completely finished, eg with shops and maybe restaurants?

Secondly, the classic savoy has been demolished and building seemed to cease around January. Again, does anyone have any news re the re-building?

many thanks

HI again,

I have been looking at the bus map and was wondering if it would be easier/option for people from the ships to catch the buses nearer the port by going straight rather than swinging right towards the marina and town.

If I remember correctly you can head up towards av. de infante and it looks like there are a few buses that go that way.

It might be a cheap way to get to the town(market/cable) with less walking

Eg looking at bus 48 that seems to go to Monte but does take a long route but that might be quite a scenic?

Also is there a day pass or is it single ride only.

Hello again insidecabin,

Looking at the map, heading from the pier to Av. do Infante may seem easier than it really is, as there's turns and bends and uphill roads to negotiate. However, as you're already familiar with walking in Funchal, you may feel confortable doing it - you can always give it a try. I must admit, though, I never walked in that area, so I may be giving you a wrong appreciation.

Yes, bus #48 really does a long route, that may be enjoyable for someone on vacation, but remember, you can't take it in Funchal. The best way for you to use #48, would be for you to catch it in Monte, do the entire itineray and take it back again to finish in Monte.

Yes you can buy a day ticket - it's 3.50 EUR + 50c for the Giro card, per person. Each person must have his own card. This ticket can't be bought inside the bus, though, you'll have to buy it in one of the kiosks along Avenida do Mar, or the H. F. office in Anadia Shopping Center.

Hello,

I found the comments re the new port promanade very exciting - as the walk into town has been spoilt for some time. Does anyone know when the redevelopment will be completely finished, eg with shops and maybe restaurants?

Secondly, the classic savoy has been demolished and building seemed to cease around January. Again, does anyone have any news re the re-building?

many thanks

Hello jamiesue,

It's expected that some of the spaces in the new building will be occupied until the end of this year, or so our local newspaper says... we'll see!

The construction of the new Savoy is under so much controversy and a total enigma at the moment. From time to time that subject is brought up on Trip Advisor, you may like to read through this thread: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189167-i435-k4623243-The_New_Savoy_Hotel-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

It is highly likely that many of the things you can get are import restricted to most other countries.

I would think that all plant materials will be forbidden or require licence

Processed foods will mostly be OK but even then some will likely be restricted. eg meat product into the US.

Check carefully.

Guess that means no fresh flowers to have in our room on board??

Hi nancychic,

Some people say they buy fresh flowers in the market to decorate their cabins, other people say they're not allowed to take flowers inside the ship. I can only presume it depends on the cruise liner.

Thank goodness we've always bought gorgeous bouquets at the Old Market to take aboard the ship ~

Will leave Sunday for Malaga, then will call on Madeira Nov. 11th ~can't wait!! We'll be outside the pier terminal at 9:30 am for pick up ~wish you could come and meet us!

I've been checking the weather forecast and it looks like a pretty, sunny day.

Many thanks for ALL your expert help and suggestions ~:D

Martita

Hello Martita,

You're lucky your cruise liner always lets you take your flowers into the ship.

Most probably than not, you'll have good weather here. Nov. 11 is Saint Martin Day and it's common knowledge it's always good on that day. We even make reference to "Saint Martin's Summer".

Well... we'll meet in our minds!

You're welcome and enjoy Madeira.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Kruzseeka,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

That's right, for you to catch the bus to the Botanical Gardens you'll have to go to the center of town.

There's not a normal bus that you can take, but you can try to find out if there's a shuttle bus at the pier. Failing that, and as walking is out of the question, your only option is a taxi - from the pier to town you'll be charged 7.50 EUR.

The bus stop for #31 - Botanical Gardens - is near the entrance to the quay. You'll pay 1.80 EUR per person for your bus ride.

Bus #31A is also good and it departs from the same bus stop, the only difference being that, instead of it finishing at the entrance to the Gardens like #31, after stopping there it continues a bit further, till it reaches the entrance to the Botanical Gardens Cable Car station, where there's also an entrance to the Gardens.

A taxi all the way from the pier to the Botanical Gardens, will be something like 15 EUR.

Hi Baria - I just wanted to get back and say thank you so much for your help. Your instructions were perfect and we managed to get up to the Botanical Gardens without a problem. It was a beautiful day whilst we were there and we have a lovely time strolling around and having coffee sitting on the cafe terrace overlooking the fabulous view.

We look forward to visiting your beautiful island again. :)

Howdy!

Back in Texas! Returned just last night ~~

Loved meeting you ~we had such a nice time with Danny.....sooo sweet! Our TA Crossing was truly magical ~had a blast.

Would you please ask Danny to e-mail me the information on the rental apartments just up from Old Town.(by the Dias Hotel) He took us by but I would like to see pictures, etc. I believe there are several.

Have a most wonderful, blessed holiday season ~

I'll see you when I return to gorgeous Madeira!:p

Hug's

Martita B.

Hi Baria - I just wanted to get back and say thank you so much for your help. Your instructions were perfect and we managed to get up to the Botanical Gardens without a problem. It was a beautiful day whilst we were there and we have a lovely time strolling around and having coffee sitting on the cafe terrace overlooking the fabulous view.

We look forward to visiting your beautiful island again. :)

Hello kruzseeka,

I'm so pleased to know my instructions helped you get to the Botanical Gardens easily. And it looks like you had a fabulous time there. :)

Howdy!

Back in Texas! Returned just last night ~~

Loved meeting you ~we had such a nice time with Danny.....sooo sweet! Our TA Crossing was truly magical ~had a blast.

Would you please ask Danny to e-mail me the information on the rental apartments just up from Old Town.(by the Dias Hotel) He took us by but I would like to see pictures, etc. I believe there are several.

Have a most wonderful, blessed holiday season ~

I'll see you when I return to gorgeous Madeira!:p

Hug's

Martita B.

Hello Martita,

How are you? Nice to see you're back from your cruise.

Message delivered.

Thank you so much for the Christmas wishes and a wonderful holiday season to you, too.

Bye.

Edited by biaria

Hello again ~

The Seabourn Spirit is in Funchal harbor today. Nov. 28th ~I have several good friends aboard ~I know they'll go to the Old Market to buy flowers to take back to the ship as it will set sail for Ft Lauderdale, Fla. ~sea days ahead!

I viewed the apt. and selected the "Ocean" 2nd floor ~I may be coming around April 3rd or so for a week.......haven't made definite plans yet however. We could have a ball! Yipppeee

Thanks so much for all your help:p

Martita B

Hello Martita,

That's right, Seabourn Spirit is docked at Funchal's pier. It arrived very early, before sunrise, and is sailing away at 1pm. Lucky friends of yours!

Nice to know you're, finally, actually staying on the island. You'll love it! And if you come on April 3rd for a week, you'll be spending Easter time here!

You're welcome! Bye.

I've rethought my April week in Funchal ~perhaps I'd like to stay at the Albergaria Dias hotel as I'll be alone ~reserving a room for a 'solo' but would be meeting nice travelers. I met Mr's Dias's ~father & son ~even had coffee with them by the pool a few years back. Wonderful fellows! I'm going to e-mail them and inquire as to a room and rates.

Have a grrrreat week! Tell Danny "Howdy!"

Martita B

• 2 weeks later...

Ola, Eusebia!

Remember me? We emailed back in February and March before going on MSC Poesia with a stop in Madeira. Daniel took our small group to Rabacal for a hike. It was one of the best parts of our trip! I am still following your posts on Funchal and you are a great help to so many people! We look forward to another trip sometime to Madeira!

Meanwhile, I checked out the MSC Roll Call for next March Transatlantic to see what questions people have that I could help with. I will certainly recommend they contact you for information on Funchal! :)

All the best to you and Daniel. Feliz Natal!

Jim and Pam

Edited by kzf3m8

Hi kzf3m8,

Yes, I remember you very well. Nice to know you enjoyed your day in Madeira.

I bet you're now "dreaming about" your next time on the island...!

Anybody needing help about Madeira, is welcome to post. As always, I'll give my best possible answer.

Thanks for the good wishes and Feliz Natal to you, too.

Hello!

A quick note to tell you and Danny the Seabourn Odyssey will dock today, Dec. 10th at 1 p.m. I believe it will be the only cruise ship calling on Madeira today ~

I know the guests will all enjoy your beautiful island......and I have many times!

Have a most festive, fun and blessed holiday season,

Martita B

Hi Martha,

Yes, in fact, about half an hour ago, I was outside doing some gardening and I saw the cruise ship approaching the bay.

We're having a beautiful sunny day, so it's excellent for sightseeing.

Enjoy your festive season, too.

Biaria - Wanted to say THANK YOU for the great advice you gave me before our trip to Madeira. With your help I was able to plan two wonderful days on the island. I fell in love with Madeira and look forward to visiting again some day.

On day 1 we hiked the Ribeiro Frio Lavada Hike (one of the prettiest hikes we have ever taken), rode the cable car, the basket (FUN!) then walked back to the ship enjoying Funchal along the way. We even tried Poncha - good!

On day 2 we took a tour with Daniel's Taxi and saw so many amazing views and a really cute fishing village! It was the perfect last day before the Atlantic crossing back to Fort Lauderdale. A few on our tour were concerned that we would miss the boat, but our driver/guide got us back with over an hour to spare.

Thanks again for taking the time to patiently answer all my questions!