I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Scrappinbec,

I looked at the weather forecast, but it doesn't say anything for February 21st, yet. We're expecting low temperatures for this coming week and for next week too, but on the 18th it seems we'll be getting back to normal, with highs of 19ºC.

February 21st is Carnival day and there'll be a parade in town, starting at 4pm near the cable car station. On this parade anybody can participate, as long as they're wearing a disguise.

For the HOHO bus, you'll have to come to the waterfront avenue. At the beginning of the bus stops' area, you'll find the one for the HOHO. If you choose to walk, you'll be there in about 20 to 30 minutes.

Thank you for the quick reply! The parade sounds fun but our cruise ship is due to leave around 5pm that day. So we won't be able to see the parade.

Edited by Scrappinbec

Hi again,

Even if you don't see the parade itself, if you're in town before you return to your cruise ship, you'll most probably see some of the participants, as they start gathering sometime in advance. The parade starts close to the cable car station.

Hello Naserian,

Old Blandy wine lodge only opens on Sundays when a cruise ship comes through their agency. I don't know if it's the case with your cruise, but if you can locate it in a map, you can go there and have a look.

quote]

Our ship will be in on a Sunday but I don't like to take the ships tours. If our ship is in port, will Brandy Wine be open or is it open only to those on the ship that take a private tour? Thanks.

I have contacted Strawberry World for a bus tour of the North West part of the island. Due to the late docking @9am, they emailed their regrets. Do you know if any other tour company have bus tour that may fit our time frame?

Thank you.

We have a group going with this company. Maybe check with them to see if it fits your schedule.

http://www.madeirahappytours.com/en/island-tours/west-island-tour.html

Hi computerworks,

If you have enough time, say at least 6 hours, go to Porto Moniz, stopping in several locations along the way, namely Cabo Girao, Encumeada, Paul da Serra among other places.

Cabo Girao is the highest seacliff in Europe. Encumeada is where you can see the sea on both sides - north and south, weather conditions permiting. Paul da Serra is a plateau - so quite different from the rest of the island, where the mountains prevail.

You'll love Porto Moniz too - look at the natural lava rock pools.

Computerworks---We did the west island tour with Daniel Taxi a year ago----Wonderful tour with Daniel.He's not only an outstanding guide but a fine person who really love his island and is eager to show it you.Had a very nice lunch,with a bottle wine in Porto Moniz.You will enjoy Maderia.Wonderful people

Computerworks---We did the west island tour with Daniel Taxi a year ago----Wonderful tour with Daniel.He's not only an outstanding guide but a fine person who really love his island and is eager to show it you.Had a very nice lunch,with a bottle wine in Porto Moniz.You will enjoy Maderia.Wonderful people

Another vote for Daniel.......fantastic guide! Enjoy your time in beautiful Funchal.

http://www.danielmadeirataxis.com/

Edited by martyap

• 2 weeks later...

Biara,

You have been wonderful giving out advise to all! There are 4 of us traveling together. We will be arriving in Funchal on Sunday, April 22, and will be there for only 10 hours total. On Sundays, I understand that most of the town is closed. One of the members of our party absolutely will not do the cable cars so we are now thinking of renting a car. Is there a rental car company near the port that we can walk to or do you have one you can suggest? Since we have so little time, we were thinking of making the drive to Nuns Valley. What do you suggest?

Hello abatlin,

Thank you for your nice words.

To hire your car, I advise you to contact a rent-a-car in advance. They'll then deliver the car to the pier for you. I'm not allowed to suggest any local businesses, but you'll find them on Google.

Yes, going to the Nun's Valley (Curral das Freiras) is a good idea. Even if you don't go right down to the village, but stop at the Eira do Serrado viewpoint instead, you'll see how interesting that area is.

Afterwards, you can head to the north coast and drive all the way to Porto Moniz. Whenever you see "Miradouro" (Viewpoint), stop the car and have a look, you'll love the scenery. Where possible, use the old roads for added beauty.

On April 22 we're having the Flower Parade. It starts at 4pm, downtown. If you're interested, try to get back to Funchal on time. Apart from the parade, we'll also have a Flower Exhibition - it's always so beautiful, so well worth a visit.

We have now spoken with Madpérola - Rent a Car [madperola@madperola.com] They will meet us at the Port with the rental car...40.60 euro for the car. Can you suggest to us the best use of our day to tour the island? The ship departs at 17:00, so we will sadly have to miss the flower parade to be back on ship in time.

I am amazed at your dedication to the board and the time you have spent helping all of us with your wonderful island. We all greatly appreciate your assistance. Can I bring you a gift for the US? We would love to meet you.

Hello again abatlin,

Good to know you already found a rent-a-car and that you got a great deal - 40.60 euro divided by 4 people is next to nothing.

Madeira is so beautiful, wherever you go you'll love it. You'll probably get a road map of the island, to guide you throughout your day.

Make a point of visiting Pico dos Barcelos, before heading to the Nun's Valley. Pico dos Barcelos is situated on the west side of Funchal and it has a most magnificient view of the entire suburban area.

Stop in Encumeada. It's on the way from Ribeira Brava to the north side of Madeira. When it's clear in Encumeada, it's possible to see the north and the south coats from the same point.

Along the north coast road, you'll see several water falls. Their intensity depends on how much rain we've had and I'm afraid this winter has been very, very dry so far.

Porto Moniz is so very interesting, mostly because of the natural, lava rock pools.

If you still have enough time, visit Paul da Serra. It's completely different from the rest of the island - it's a plateau, contrasting with the high mountains you'll encounter in most parts of Madeira.

It's a pity you won't be able to see the Flower Parade, but if it's doable do, at least, see the Flower Exhibition. It's right in the centre of town, not far from the Cathedral.

It's always a big pleasure for me to give informations about Madeira and it, no doubt, helps to spread the word and make people aware of this beautiful place.

So very kind of you to think of me, but it won't be that easy for us to meet. Anyway, my thoughts will be with you on April 22 and enjoy the island.

Biaria, We will be arriving on the Ruby Princess on Sunday April 29th. We at 2:00 pm and depart at 8:00 pm. Do you have suggestions on what we could do or see during the short time we will have in the Funchal? Thank you for the information you have provided on this thread.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

With the amount of time you'll be staying here, you can still do a couple of things, for instance:

You can choose to walk around and explore the town: the gardens, churches, the Old Town, etc.

You may also like to take the cable car up to Monte and stay there for a while. The cable car station is close to the waterfront, in the Old Town area.

The HoHo bus may also interest you.

Another option is to take a taxi tour - the most economical way is to take a taxi in town rather than at the pier.

You're welcome and enjoy your day in Madeira.