I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

I rethought my flights ~probably fly AA to Lisbon, then on the Madeira on TAP ~

I'm sure Madeira is beautiful middle of Nov. ~probably a bit cooler than April when I usually visit.

We'll be e-mailing as to details!

Have a great weekend ~

MB

Hello Martita,

Yes, that's a good option too.

Madeira is beautiful any time. Yes, it may cooler in November than in April, but we can never generalize.

A great weekend to you too.

Our day in Madeira off the Independence of the Seas in December was our favourite port of the cruise. Thanks to you for your wonderful advice as it allowed us to do everything we wanted to in the time available.

Hi SandDragon,

Good to know you liked Madeira and that you managed to see everything you had planned to.

I'm glad my answers were helpful.

Enjoy your weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

First, thank you for all the wonderful information. We are arriving on June 10 Sunday and will be in port from 9 to 6 pm. I am aware that the market is closed on a Sunday. Are the gardens and Old Blandy Wine Lodge also closed? What would you suggest for a Sunday in Madeira? We will definitely take the cable car but are any gardens open? Thanks.

Hello TERRIER1,

You're welcome.

Yes, the Gardens are all open on Sunday, but I'm afraid Blandy Wine Lodge will be closed. Blandy only opens the wine Lodge on Sundays, when there's a cruise ship coming through their agency.

After you take the cable car up to Monte, and as you're interested in Gardens, you can spend some time in the Monte Tropical Gardens - you'll need at least two hours to have a good look around. An alternative is, once in Monte, to take the cable to the Botanical Gardens. These are smaller, so one hour is enough to see them.

Or you can choose to take a tour.

Hello TERRIER1,

You're welcome.

Yes, the Gardens are all open on Sunday, but I'm afraid Blandy Wine Lodge will be closed. Blandy only opens the wine Lodge on Sundays, when there's a cruise ship coming through their agency.

After you take the cable car up to Monte, and as you're interested in Gardens, you can spend some time in the Monte Tropical Gardens - you'll need at least two hours to have a good look around. An alternative is, once in Monte, to take the cable to the Botanical Gardens. These are smaller, so one hour is enough to see them.

Or you can choose to take a tour.

Thank you for the info. Is the Monte cable car the same cable car you take to reach the Monte Tropical Garedens? There seems to be another cable car that goes to the Botanical Gardens and I am confused. Are these two gardens the same? Thanks.

Yes, the cable car you take in town, takes you to Monte, where you can visit Monte Tropical Gardens. Then there's a cable car in Monte which, in turn, goes to the Botanical Gardens.

The Monte Tropical Gardens and the Botanical Gardens are totally different.

Hello Bob,

I think the best way to fit in the Toboggan ride after your canyoning, is you being dropped off in town, then you take a taxi to Monte. After you're finished with the Toboggan ride, this same taxi takes you back to the cruise ship. For all this you'll need at least one hour.

Please notice that a taxi in town will offer you a more reasonably rate, than a taxi inside the pier, that's why it's better if your canyoning company drops you off in town, rather than at the pier.

An alternative is you asking the canyoning people if they can include Monte in their tour, with a pick up after the Toboggan ride, returning you to your cruise ship at the end.

Edited by biaria

Hello Bob,

I think the best way to fit in the Toboggan ride after your canyoning, is you being dropped off in town, then you take a taxi to Monte. After you're finished with the Toboggan ride, this same taxi takes you back to the cruise ship. For all this you'll need at least one hour.

Please notice that a taxi in town will offer you a more reasonably rate, than a taxi inside the pier, that's why it's better if your canyoning company drops you off in town, rather than at the pier.

An alternative is you asking the canyoning people if they can include Monte in their tour, with a pick up after the Toboggan ride, returning you to your cruise ship at the end.

Thanks this was great advise. I think we will get dropped off in town, do I then get a taxi to the Monte, or ride a cable car confused?, also I assume I just negotiate a rate with the taxi to take me up and meet me down below,, what do you think is a fair price.

Thank you VERY much.

Bob

You either go up to Monte by taxi or by cable car, it's up to you.

If you decide to ride the cable car up to Monte, it's better if the canyoning people drop you off by the station. This way you'll only need a taxi after you're finished with your Toboggan ride, but this is where you must be careful not to be ripped off - don't pay more than 15 EUR to be taken back to the pier.

In case you decide to skip the cable car, meaning the taxi takes you to Monte, collects you after the Toboggan and retuns you to the pier, you can expect to pay 30 EUR.

You're welcome.

You either go up to Monte by taxi or by cable car, it's up to you.

If you decide to ride the cable car up to Monte, it's better if the canyoning people drop you off by the station. This way you'll only need a taxi after you're finished with your Toboggan ride, but this is where you must be careful not to be ripped off - don't pay more than 15 EUR to be taken back to the pier.

In case you decide to skip the cable car, meaning the taxi takes you to Monte, collects you after the Toboggan and retuns you to the pier, you can expect to pay 30 EUR.

You're welcome.

Biaria;

You are terrific and a wealth of information. So here goes a few more questions;

Monte; what is it exactly, is it worth the visit due to time constraint, or should I skip it and do just the Toboggan.

Toboggan; I assume 15Euor per couple?

Taxi; I assume they are not metered?

Final; In case the canyoning does not work out, any MUST do's in Funchal you suggest.

Thanks

cruisinbob

Hello again Bob,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

The Toboggan ride starts in Monte, so you'll have to go there anyway, but if you don't have much time left you'll have to take the Toboggan ride as soon as you arrive. In fact the 30 EUR charge I mention, doesn't allow for any staying time in Monte, for that you'll pay more. For rides such as these, taxi drivers don't use the meter, they charge accordingly.

In case you have enough time, it's worth spending some time in Monte. You can visit Our Lady of Monte's Church and the Municipal Gardens (entrance is free).

No, the 15 EUR Toboggan price is per person.

In Funchal city centre, a must do is the market. Then there's churches, gardens, museums, wine cellars, etc. The sightseeing bus is also a good option, it stops at the beginning of the waterfront avenue and does two different tours.

Edited by biaria

Hello again Bob,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

The Toboggan ride starts in Monte, so you'll have to go there anyway, but if you don't have much time left you'll have to take the Toboggan ride as soon as you arrive. In fact the 30 EUR charge I mention, doesn't allow for any staying time in Monte, for that you'll pay more. For rides such as these, taxi drivers don't use the meter, they charge accordingly.

In case you have enough time, it's worth spending some time in Monte. You can visit Our Lady of Monte's Church and the Municipal Gardens (entrance is free).

No, the 15 EUR Toboggan price is per person.

In Funchal city centre, a must do is the market. Then there's churches, gardens, museums, wine cellars, etc. The sightseeing bus is also a good option, it stops at the beginning of the waterfront avenue and does two different tours.

Thanks again for everything, what is the weather like, shorts?

Bob

We've been having cold weather lately, but it's been warmish in the sun. Temperatures are in the region of 17ºC for Max. and 13ºC for MIN and the forecast says it will stay like this for several days.

That's correct, the Toboggan ride closes at 1pm on Sundays.

I can advice...

Hi Odilia, We will be in Funachal for 1 day on April 29 (Princess Cruise).Before we make any plans, I would like to know how far it is from the cruise ship terminal to a central area in Funchal - is it walkable? If not, is there public transportation.

Our preference in ports is always to see the sights by public transportation or walking - thereby really experiencing the "flavour" of the area.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hi mirukan,

Biaria here. Odilia is a one time poster, who, simply, happened to start this thread and then got lost. After being on this thread for almost 2 and a half years, I started my own, too.

From the pier to the centre of Funchal is a 30 to 40 minute walk. There's no public transport for that route, but sometimes shuttle buses are provided to cruisers inside the pier, so, if there's one, you may like to take advantage of it.

You won't be able to visit the market, because you're coming on a Sunday and it will be closed, but you can explore the town. You'll see gardens, churches, the old town (near the cable car station area). This also where the Madeira Story Centre Museum is situated.

You can also take the cable car up to Monte (10 EUR per person), or go to the Botanical Gardens. If you choose to go to the Botanical Gardens, you take bus #31 or 31A, along the main waterfront avenue - just look for the right bus stop.

An alternative to the cable car to reach Monte, is bus #20 or 21. It departs from Rua 31 de Janeiro. Having a map will help you find it, however if you ask for directions you'll easily get there, because it's just off the main waterfront avenue.

A ticket bought inside the bus is 1.90 EUR per person. There's also a 1 day ticket for 4.40 EUR, but this one you'll have to pre-buy from the machines or offices on the waterfront avenue.

There's a HOHO bus, that offers two different routes. In fact there are two HOHO bus companies, but it's the yellow ones that belongs to the public transporter.

A ticket for the HOHO bus is 12 EUR per person, but it's valid for 24 hours and you can use it on any yellow public transport buses as well.

Edited by biaria

So our stop in Funchal is on Sunday and the Old Blandy wine lodge says that it's closed on Sunday. Are there any wine lodges open? Besides the cable car and meandering, what would you suggest doing on a Sunday? We are young and would prefer walking everywhere.

Thanks!

Hello Naserian,

Old Blandy wine lodge only opens on Sundays when a cruise ship comes through their agency. I don't know if it's the case with your cruise, but if you can locate it in a map, you can go there and have a look.

All wine lodges close on Sundays, but some shops offer wine tasting.

As you enjoy walking, just get hold of a map and keep walking and exploring, but, even without a map, you won't get lost in our town. As long as you end up by the sea, you'll know where you are, because you'll see your ship.

Have a nice day in Funchal!

Hi Scrappinbec,

I looked at the weather forecast, but it doesn't say anything for February 21st, yet. We're expecting low temperatures for this coming week and for next week too, but on the 18th it seems we'll be getting back to normal, with highs of 19ºC.

February 21st is Carnival day and there'll be a parade in town, starting at 4pm near the cable car station. On this parade anybody can participate, as long as they're wearing a disguise.

For the HOHO bus, you'll have to come to the waterfront avenue. At the beginning of the bus stops' area, you'll find the one for the HOHO. If you choose to walk, you'll be there in about 20 to 30 minutes.