I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Thank you!

Hello GatorMomInNC,

The cable car cabins seat 8 passengers, in case one is too big, they'll probably only carry 7, unless the 8th person is very thin or a child. I looked on the website for any weight limits, but they don't say anything.

As far as the toboggans are concerned, in case you're too big, you may have to take the ride alone, but this will mean you'll pay 20 EUR, instead of 12.50 EUR sharing. However they also have 3 passenger baskets, which they can use for 2 people only, when necessary, avoiding you to pay single ticket.

Oh... the toboggan drivers are very strong, so no problem there! :)

HGi I will be in Madeira on Nov. 2nd of this year and was wondering what the weather is like and what not to miss seeing.

Thank You

Hi BettyBoop,

In November the weather tends to be very unpredictable: you may be lucky and have a glorious sunny day or it may be miserable, let's hope for the best, then.

Must sees: if you're staying in town, there's the gardens, Churches, wine lodges, museums and, whatever you do, don't miss the market. You may even like to take the Cable car up to Monte, where you can spend some time exploring.

If your idea is to see a bit further away, then you can visit Nun's Valley, Cabo Girão and also Pico dos Barcelos viewpoint, where you'll get the most amazing view towards the town and suburbs.

In case you want to see even further, there's the East and West side tours.

To be honest, Madeira has a lot to offer, so it's impossible to point out just a few "must sees".

Whatever you choose to do, you'll have a memorable day.

Edited by biaria

Thank You for the info. I will be on the QM2 and will be in port for one day. Loking at excursions and trying to decide which one to take. I bvelieve there is one that includes the market. Here is the excursion description.

Description: Funchal Market is a social and commercial occasion; the market is an integral part of Portuguese life. As you wander around the stalls, you will find an array of tropical fruits, unusual vegetables, colourful flowers and local crafts.

See one of the island’s largest inland villages, Camacha, which is the centre of the osier industry producing the well-known Madeira wickerwork. You will have time to browse in the showrooms and perhaps purchase a few souvenirs. Some light refreshments will be offered during your stop in Camacha.

A visit to a leading embroidery factory in Funchal presents exquisite examples of handicrafts, which have been made following Madeira traditions since the last century. Crafts can be purchased and a sample of the Madeira Wine will be served.

A brief stop will be made at a local wine lodge for another opportunity to taste the famous wine.

Hi BettyBoop,

Which wine to choose is really a matter of personnal choice.

To help you make up your mind...

Malmsey (sweet) - to be taken at tea time with biscuits or cake or both - excellent with our very own Molasses Cake . Also served as dessert wine, lighly chilled when it's hot.

Bual (medium sweet) - dessert wine, served chilled in summer

Verdelho ( medium dry) and Sercial (dry) - serve well chilled as an appertif

Edited by biaria

• 2 weeks later...

Biaria - I have read all your posts and think you are extremely helpful and informative. I would appreciate it if you could do a quick review of my plans below and let me know if you see any problem areas. I am working on day 2 and would appreciate any suggestions. My DH and I are active and enjoy seeing and trying new things.

Our ship is in Funchal from Dec 2, 8 am to Dec 3, 2 pm.

The first day we are planning to....

walk to the market and spend some time browsing

walk to the cable car terminal and take the cable car to Monte (opens at 10am)

explore Monte

ride the Monte Toboggan (cash only) to Estrada do Livramento

walk to town center stopping by Blandy

spend time downtown until we are ready to walk back to the ship

Are tastings available at Blandy without taking the tour? I couldn't tell from looking at their website.

Hello Wayfairers,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, your plan for your first day is doable and very good. Cable car station opens at 9:30am. That's correct you'll have to pay cash for your Toboggan ride, cable car accepts cards, though.

From the end of the Toboggan ride to Blandy's, it's a 45 minute walk, be prepared for the steep first half.

Yes, you can do your wine tasting at Blandy's without taking the wine tasting tour.

For day 2, maybe the HOHO bus will be a good choice, it'll take you a bit further away from the centre of town, at a very good price - 12 EUR per person, per 24 h period and will give you acess to the public transport for free, during the first day. It's a pity you won't have enough time to take full advantage of it.

The Yellow HOHO Bus, belongs to Horários do Funchal, Madeira's public transport company. They have two tours, the Yellow and the Blue. The Blue tour goes as far as Câmara de Lobos, the first one leaving at 10am, if you're interested this may be the best time, considering the fact that your cruise ship is leaving at 2pm.

Both tours take about 1h15m and start from the bus stop area, along the waterfront avenue. The Yellow tour leaves every 20 to 30 minutes.

Another option for your second day, would be a visit to the Botanical Gardens. You take the 31 or 31-A bus, also along the waterfront avenue, but near the quay area, just look for the sign. A ticket bought inside the bus is 1,80 EUR per person, per ride. If you choose to buy your bus tickets in advance in one of the kiosks, it'll be 50 cents for the card, plus you'll charge it with a minimum of two 1 EUR rides, giving a total of 2.50 EUR per person.

Entrance to the Botanical Gardens is 3 EUR per person.

Biara - thanks for the quick response and for commenting on my plans. I will look at the HOHO bus for day 2.... I am also considering a taxi or tour to see Cabo Girão. While the Botanical Gardens are pretty, neither of us are interested in that.

It is sooo nice having your input - can't say thanks enough for the time you devote to this thread!

HI BIARIA,

I'ts joan again. ??s about Nuns Valley, Is it wery winding roads, you know , the close to the edge scary type? We went on a bus to Almalfi coast and I was so scared, and now we've booked a bus tour to "NUNS"

I'm wondering if it will be the same ,scary!! Can you tell us what to expect.

Thanks for your info, so glad we can get this right fron the horses mouth, no offense meant!

Have a good weekend. JOAN.

Hello Joan,

To be honest, yes, it's a winding road and, from a bus, you'll be able to see the depth, all the way down the side. Well... the best you can do is try to keep you mind away from it... and don't worry, nothing bad will happen to you.

:) Hi Biaria....... Am so mad at myself for not asking you sooner and am not going to be at easewith the height and winding roads.

I have booked a tour that involves 6 others, so I have to be responsible for that . I have no choice but to put a paper bag over my head :eek:.

I truly appreciate all your time and info, as I know others do also. JOAN.

Hello again Joan,

Yes, that might be a solution... the paper bag, LOL.

Try not to sit on the window seat, maybe it'll make the ride more bearable, and look to the other side of the road.

Remember, also, drivers have passed there countless times and no accidents have been reported.

Hi biaria,

thanks for your encouragement!! the vehicle is for 8 people and driver, so I hope I get the chance to sit in the right seat!!

nov is getting nearer, and now all i hope for is no rain on our visit.:eek:

JOAN. many thanks.

Hi Joan,

As you're going in an 8 passenger vehicle, it won't feel as bad as if you were in a bus, because it's not so high. And yes, sitting away from the window will help.

Now let's hope for good weather on the day of your visit!

Edited by biaria

• 3 weeks later...

The first day we are planning to....

walk to the market and spend some time browsing

walk to the cable car terminal and take the cable car to Monte

explore Monte

ride the Monte Toboggan (cash only) to Estrada do Livramento

walk to town center stopping by Blandy

spend time downtown until we are ready to walk back to the ship

Biaria - I'm thinking of adding a morning Levada walk to this day that will return at 3pm. The toboggans end their day at 6pm. Am I correct that I will have plenty of time to do the Toboggan after I return from the walk? I am going to ask the driver to drop us at the cable car (or at least close) instead of at the cruise ship. Any suggestions? I know the change in my plans will not allow me to visit the market.

Hello Wayfairers,

The Levada walk is an excellent idea.

Yes, by returning from your walk at 3pm, you're still on time for your cable car and Toboggan rides.

Considering the fact that the market is not too far from the cable car station and it's not too big either, maybe you could still go there before riding up to Monte. However, for this to be feasible, you must still take into consideration how much time you're planning to stay in Monte.

If you take your toboggan ride too close to 6pm, maybe it won't be a good idea to walk to town, because, in December, it'll be dark at 6:30pm. Instead I'd advise you to take the bus. As I mentioned the other day, a ticket inside the bus costs 1.80 EUR per person.

The idea of visiting Blandy's will have to given up, though.

I'm remembering now - you'll have the opportunity to see how beautiful our town looks, with all those Christmas lights!

Just saw your post and just wanted to

say, I loved your town. Been there

twice on cruise ships, not enough time

but least I can say I've been there.

First time Dec. 8th I think a Holiday.

Everything decorated. Few stores open,

no traffic. Walked all over town, then

followed the cable car cable down to

the station and took it up to Monte.

Great views of town and sea.

Second time regular day, stores open, traffic

and we had a great time then too. This time

walked the gardens up top at Monte, only

thing you keep walking down to see everything...

then you have to walk back up! It was something..

would do it again. Beautiful!

PS

Both times took the cable up and down....

no toboggan for me! LOL

Hello Belle,

Nice post, thanks!

Dec. 8th is a religious holiday, Our Lady of Conception Day. By then, Funchal is already decorated for Christmas - if you stayed here long enough to see all the lights turned on, I'm sure you liked what you saw, as Funchal then looks like a fairy tale town.

I agree with you, Monte is really worth a visit - it's not far from the centre and very easy to access, either by cable car or bus.