I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Wayfairers,

I'm pleased to know you fell in love with Madeira.

It was a good thing you had two days to explore the island (well... one and a half to be more precise), as it gave you the opportunity to take two totally different tours.

Câmara de Lobos looks more like a village, but it's a town. Silly things decreeted by a silly Government.

It was a pleasure to answer your questions and any time you need my help, feel free to ask.

To everyone on these boards

A Wonderful Christmas

and all of the Best for the New Year!

Hi Biara,

Same to you too.

If you are on the forum could you please advise me regarding the chairlift & toboggan. We are arriving on Independence on 18th January and would prefer to to these on our own. Is this doable - I've seen so much info and I'm still unsure?

Many thanks.

Lorraine.

Thanks ryansmum.

Yes, you can do the cable car and the toboggan on your own. If you choose to walk from the pier to town, in about 40 minutes you'll reach the cable car station. Maybe there'll be a shuttle bus to take people to town, in that case take advantage of it. The other option is a taxi - the charge is 7.50 EUR from the pier to anywhere in town.

After you've explored Monte, take the toboggan ride. It finishes 2km away from the centre of town, so you'll need transportation. My advise is take the bus. In January there'll be an increase on the price of bus tickets, but I can't give you the exact new price yet. It'll be something over 2 EUR, though.

You're welcome and have a nice day.

Thanks ryansmum.

Yes, you can do the cable car and the toboggan on your own. If you choose to walk from the pier to town, in about 40 minutes you'll reach the cable car station. Maybe there'll be a shuttle bus to take people to town, in that case take advantage of it. The other option is a taxi - the charge is 7.50 EUR from the pier to anywhere in town.

After you've explored Monte, take the toboggan ride. It finishes 2km away from the centre of town, so you'll need transportation. My advise is take the bus. In January there'll be an increase on the price of bus tickets, but I can't give you the exact new price yet. It'll be something over 2 EUR, though.

You're welcome and have a nice day.

Thanks once again for your help. Really looking forward to Madeira and only wish we had longer at this port.

Lorraine.

Happy and Healthy New Year !

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas ~filled with family, friends, fun and joy!

Please tell Danny we'll see him in April ~I'll send him mail to make my booking. I do want to visit the Dias'family ~perhaps look at a few rooms at the hotel........then, of course, to Cica's ~plus buying my fabulous flowers to take back to the Spirit ship! (as always!:D)

Looking forward to another day in "Madeira paradise!" Come join us!

Martita B

Happy to hear of your joyful Christmas ~mine was also joyful ~with my family ~will spend the NY weekend at the ranch with, again, family! I've been cookin' grrrreart foods! Say, "Yippppeeee"

YES, I do loveeee Madeira! I've loved it for 11 years! Am planning to come in 2012 for a 2 week holiday ~hopefully stay at the Dias Hotel!

I'll see you and Danny in April!

Hugs sent

Miss M

Nice to know you're preparing a get together with your family, for the New Year weekend. Oh and it looks like you're a great cook!

After all these years, it's a good idea you staying here longer.

Hugs to you, too.

Edited by biaria

Hi capricruiser,

Apart from being the person who started this thread, I have no idea who Odilia Freitas is.

I simply decided to offer my help, after I noticed some unanswered questions and nobody responding to them after some time.

Have a Happy New Year.

That's been in my mind a couple of times, but the issue is, if I start a new thread now, this one will move backwards and there's so much info here. Maybe I shoudn't worry about it and start my own thread for the New Year... :-)

That's been in my mind a couple of times, but the issue is, if I start a new thread now, this one will move backwards and there's so much info here. Maybe I shoudn't worry about it and start my own thread for the New Year... :-)

You are very right about the amount of information here that people can use. Hmmmm.....decisions! People can always search and find this thread if you start a new one....or you can refer them to it. I think of it as YOUR thread already.....

If you only have about 6 hours in port time would you take a tour that leaves the city or just stay in Funcal and Monte (ride the toboggan). I can not decide what to do - it all sounds so great! I am considering a tour that would go out into the island (scenic tour) but then would have very little time to see anything in Funcal or Monte. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Hello Patrinka,

Happy New Year!

Yes, even though you'll only for be 6 hours in Madeira, you can still see more than just Funchal.

By 6 hours, I think you mean from the time your cruise ship docks till the time it sails way and this will give you about 4.5 hours to tour, explore, etc. With this amount of time, you can go to Nun's Valley, for instance, and then be dropped off in Monte. If you're interested in taking the Toboggan ride, ask the driver to meet you at the end and to drive you back up to Monte. You can then take the cable car down and walk back to the pier, this walk may take you about 40 minutes.

If you have enough time, try to visit the market. It's a very interesting place and not far from the cable car station in town.

Enjoy your visit.

Howdy again!

Good news! I'm thinking of flying into Madeira next Nov. (middle of) and staying 4-5 days before boarding a ship ~instead of boarding in Spain, I'll make arrangements to board in Funchal ~Can you answer this question? What airlines fly directly from Madrid to Funchal? TAP does not. Wondering if I should fly Boston to Azores, then onto Funchal? I want/need easy flights ~:D

Wouldn;'t we have a grrrreat time for these days? I'll probably stay at the Dias Hotel.

If you or sweet "Mr. D" has answers, pleeeeze e-mail me.

Happy New 2012!

MB

I rethought my flights ~probably fly AA to Lisbon, then on the Madeira on TAP ~

I'm sure Madeira is beautiful middle of Nov. ~probably a bit cooler than April when I usually visit.

We'll be e-mailing as to details!

Have a great weekend ~

MB