I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Biaria

I have been reading your advice and you have given us some wonderful ideas. We will be in Funchal from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 2

Can we walk to the cable car from the Ship? What is the cost of the cable car to Monte?

My plans: take the cable car to Monte then continue on the other cable car to the Botanical Gardens. Is it easy to find the second cable car?

After this we would like to visit the Church and the Palace Gardens. Can we walk to the Gardens from the Church? Are these the gardens that are referred to as the Tropical Gardens?

How much time should we plan to spend doing all of the above? We will then take the Toboggan Ride down.

Again, thanks

Lorraine

Hello Lorraine,

As long as you have no walking difficulties, you'll easily reach the cable car station - in 30 to 40 minutes you'll be there.

A cable car ticket per person, for adults, is 10 EUR one way and 15 EUR round trip.

Yes, when you exit the cable car station in Monte, you turn to your right and the Botanical Gardens cable car is just 200 meters away. It costs 8.25 EUR one way and 12.75 round trip.

Yes, the Palace Gardens and the Tropical Gardens are exactly the same thing. And yes, Our Lady of Monte's Church and the Tropical Gardens are within walking distance from each other.

From the moment you leave your cruise ship, till you're ready to take your Toboggan ride down, it will take you a good 6 hours or more, but of course it will depend on how much time you'll spend in each place.

Probably you already saw on my posts, but in case you didn't - the Toboggan ride finishes 2 km away from the center of town. You can try to walk all the way down to town, but it's a steep walk, specially the fist half. An economical way to reach town is taking the bus, you'll pay 1.80 EUR per person, buying the ticket inside the bus.

Avoid the taxis, because they'll charge you too much.

You're welcome and enjoy the island.

Hi Biaria

Could you tell me how far the walk from the pier into the town centre is and is the market in the town or do I need another bus to go there.

Thanks

Hello nelderwoman,

For your walk from the pier to town it'll take about 30 minutes, then in another 10 minutes you'll be in the market.

Yes, the market is, very conveniently, in the center of town.

You're welcome.

Hello Lorraine,

As long as you have no walking difficulties, you'll easily reach the cable car station - in 30 to 40 minutes you'll be there.

A cable car ticket per person, for adults, is 10 EUR one way and 15 EUR round trip.

Yes, when you exit the cable car station in Monte, you turn to your right and the Botanical Gardens cable car is just 200 meters away. It costs 8.25 EUR one way and 12.75 round trip.

Yes, the Palace Gardens and the Tropical Gardens are exactly the same thing. And yes, Our Lady of Monte's Church and the Tropical Gardens are within walking distance from each other.

From the moment you leave your cruise ship, till you're ready to take your Toboggan ride down, it will take you a good 6 hours or more, but of course it will depend on how much time you'll spend in each place.

Probably you already saw on my posts, but in case you didn't - the Toboggan ride finishes 2 km away from the center of town. You can try to walk all the way down to town, but it's a steep walk, specially the fist half. An economical way to reach town is taking the bus, you'll pay 1.80 EUR per person, buying the ticket inside the bus.

Avoid the taxis, because they'll charge you too much.

You're welcome and enjoy the island.

Hi, again

thank you for your wonderful advice. One more question: If we decide not to walk to the cable car station, is there a bus (and number) near the port? If not, how much would a taxi cost? I will take your advice and not take a taxi back to the ship.

Thanks

Lorraine:)

Hello again Lorraine,

There's not a specific bus from the port to town, but sometimes there's a shuttle bus, so look for it. Otherwise a taxi will take you to the cable car station for 7.50 EUR.

Going by bus from the end of the Toboggans to town, you still have to walk about 30 minutes, to arrive back to your cruise ship. If walking is an issue, a taxi from town to pier is, just like from pier to town, 7:50 EUR.

Now, in case you find more convenient to take a taxi directly from the end of the Toboggan ride to the pier, discuss the price with the driver before getting into the taxi and don't accept to pay more than 15 EUR, or 10 EUR if you're to be dropped off in town.

Hello Biaria

The last few times I've cruised in/out of Funchal the ship dock has been in a major rebuild ~last March the terminal wasn't quite finished. Can you tell me if the 'build' is near completion?

Am so looking forward to visiting Madeira once again.....the Quest will arrive 9:00 am on Nov. 11th.

Many thanks for all your expert help!

Martita B.

Hello Martita,

Yes, the new platform is finished now and, even though I didn't see it myself, our daily newspaper says private investment has been made there.

The north side of the docks is also finished and a very wide sidewalk was built along Avenida Sá Carneiro.

You're welcome and have a pleasant visit to Madeira on Nov. 11th.

Thank you for all your good advice. YES I do like to take long cruises.....I want to see the world. Even with all those long trips I have never been to Europe so I am quite excited.

We will be in port from 8 am until 11 pm.....so I am wondering if I should try to find a private person to take me around for the day. Therre is just me and my girlfriend.......

Of course I want to make the most of it and see all I can...........

Karen

Hello again Lorraine,

There's not a specific bus from the port to town, but sometimes there's a shuttle bus, so look for it. Otherwise a taxi will take you to the cable car station for 7.50 EUR.

Going by bus from the end of the Toboggans to town, you still have to walk about 30 minutes, to arrive back to your cruise ship. If walking is an issue, a taxi from town to pier is, just like from pier to town, 7:50 EUR.

Now, in case you find more convenient to take a taxi directly from the end of the Toboggan ride to the pier, discuss the price with the driver before getting into the taxi and don't accept to pay more than 15 EUR, or 10 EUR if you're to be dropped off in town.

Hello again,

Thank you for all

your wonderful advice. We had beenin Funchal two years ago, it was a rainy day and so we only walked around the shopping area. We are so looking forward to seeing a little more this time.

Keep up the good work

Hello Karen,

You're welcome.

Taking a cruise is an excellent way to see the world, I must try it some day. In recent years, cruising has become increasingly popular among Madeiran people, my own daughter took her first cruise in February this year.

You'll love Europe, I'm sure... and there's lots to see.

Yes, it may be a good idea to hire your private driver and do your own thing.

I must admit I was curious and clicked on the three links in your signature - I just had a quick look, but I can see you have very interesting information there, so... I'll be back for more.

Hello again,

Thank you for all

your wonderful advice. We had beenin Funchal two years ago, it was a rainy day and so we only walked around the shopping area. We are so looking forward to seeing a little more this time.

Keep up the good work

Hello Lorraine,

It's always my pleasure to help.

Well, let's hope the weather is better this time, you deserve it.

Hello Karen,

You're welcome.

Taking a cruise is an excellent way to see the world, I must try it some day. In recent years, cruising has become increasingly popular among Madeiran people, my own daughter took her first cruise in February this year.

You'll love Europe, I'm sure... and there's lots to see.

Yes, it may be a good idea to hire your private driver and do your own thing.

I must admit I was curious and clicked on the three links in your signature - I just had a quick look, but I can see you have very interesting information there, so... I'll be back for more.

I am so happy you took a peek at my blogs. If you are interested in communicating via email I am kweenkarenatwavecabledotcom.

TY Baria. I will look for your answer.

Hi BettyBoop,

As promised, I went to the market today and had a look around trying to see what you could easily take home.

Foodwise, they have several products in dried form, such as nuts, beans, fruits, peppers, oregano, bay leaves. You'll also find "Bolo de Mel" (Madeira's very traditional mollasses cake), bottled honey, liqueurs, Poncha (one of Madeira's traditional alcoholic drinks) and sweet candy made with local flavours such as fennel, eucaliptus, grenadilla, etc.

If you're a keen gardner, they have all types of seeds, bulbs, rhizomes... to tempt you. And you'll love to see the flowers, too!

Hi,

To everyone interested in walking from the port to the center of Funchal, I have good news – the new sidewalk along Avenida Sá Carneiro is, finally, ready!

I already made reference to this when I answered davecttr, but I’d like to give it some more emphasis.

Avenida Sá Carneiro is the street that leads from the port entrance to the city center and the sidewalk was partially obstructed by panels for an excessive amount of time, together with noise, dust and the like, due to this area, known as the north side of Funchal port, being under construction. As we had elections on October 9, the Government decided it was about time to have it finished and it was ready to be inaugurated two days before, together with a new square - Praça do Mar.

This place now houses an underground car park and the building between the new sidewalk and Praça do Mar, is to be concessioned for tourism, culture and leisure purposes.

So, if last time you took this walk you had an unpleasant experience and said “Never again!” you can now change your mind. I can assure you, your walk into town will be really enjoyable and a pleasant start of a great day in Madeira.

Hi BettyBoop,

As promised, I went to the market today and had a look around trying to see what you could easily take home.

Foodwise, they have several products in dried form, such as nuts, beans, fruits, peppers, oregano, bay leaves. You'll also find "Bolo de Mel" (Madeira's very traditional mollasses cake), bottled honey, liqueurs, Poncha (one of Madeira's traditional alcoholic drinks) and sweet candy made with local flavours such as fennel, eucaliptus, grenadilla, etc.

If you're a keen gardner, they have all types of seeds, bulbs, rhizomes... to tempt you. And you'll love to see the flowers, too!

Ty very much it is very helpful.

Hello biaria :)

I have been scanning this thread but there is so much of it! Just shows how helpful you are to travellers to Madeira. You are clearly much appreciated by so many members as you give such comprehensive and valuable information!

So I do apologise if this question has been asked before - I have seen some of your responses which partially answer my question - but may have missed the information I'm looking for.

We shall be visiting Funchal in a couple of weeks. We have been before walking to the cable car to go up to Monte, taken the taboggan ride down and walked back to the port. We've also done the HoHo and on a different trip gone on the West of the Island Tour (spectacular - what a beautiful island!).

This time we intend to have a more leisurely day with limited objectives. I'm not so mobile at the moment but would like to visit the Botanical Gardens. As I don't want to walk further than I have to - can we use a local bus service to get to the Gardens and pick it up near the port? (I think from some of your responses the bus stop is a bit of a walk from the port.) If not, is there a bus from the port which will take us close to the bus for the Gardens?

I would really appreciate your input with details of bus numbers and location of stops - I tried the Horarios de Funchal site without much success.

If it's too much of a problem clearly we could take a taxi but time isn't an issue and if it's possible to use public transport then we're happy to do so.

Thnaks in anticipation of your help. :)

Hello Kruzseeka,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

That's right, for you to catch the bus to the Botanical Gardens you'll have to go to the center of town.

There's not a normal bus that you can take, but you can try to find out if there's a shuttle bus at the pier. Failing that, and as walking is out of the question, your only option is a taxi - from the pier to town you'll be charged 7.50 EUR.

The bus stop for #31 - Botanical Gardens - is near the entrance to the quay. You'll pay 1.80 EUR per person for your bus ride.

Bus #31A is also good and it departs from the same bus stop, the only difference being that, instead of it finishing at the entrance to the Gardens like #31, after stopping there it continues a bit further, till it reaches the entrance to the Botanical Gardens Cable Car station, where there's also an entrance to the Gardens.

A taxi all the way from the pier to the Botanical Gardens, will be something like 15 EUR.

Hello Kruzseeka,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

That's right, for you to catch the bus to the Botanical Gardens you'll have to go to the center of town.

There's not a normal bus that you can take, but you can try to find out if there's a shuttle bus at the pier. Failing that, and as walking is out of the question, your only option is a taxi - from the pier to town you'll be charged 7.50 EUR.

The bus stop for #31 - Botanical Gardens - is near the entrance to the quay. You'll pay 1.80 EUR per person for your bus ride.

Bus #31A is also good and it departs from the same bus stop, the only difference being that, instead of it finishing at the entrance to the Gardens like #31, after stopping there it continues a bit further, till it reaches the entrance to the Botanical Gardens Cable Car station, where there's also an entrance to the Gardens.

A taxi all the way from the pier to the Botanical Gardens, will be something like 15 EUR.

Thank you so much Biaria- that's just what I needed to know. Many thanks for your help. We are very much looking forward to visiting your beautiful island again. :)

Much much easier and certainly more convenient to simply take a Taxi just outside the Pier Terminal ~ especially if it's raining!

I've visited Madeira many times ~~loveeee Funchal but have learned for my convenience to hire a car/driver for my stay.

Don't miss the Market in Old Town ~ a sight to behold!:D

Enjoy

Martita B.

Hi Bluebelle,

So sorry to know about your abcess during your last visit to Madeira, however it looks like you still enjoyed your stay on the island. Hope next time you don't have to deal with any health issues.

The best buses for you to visit Monte are #20 and #21, because they have their last stop in Largo da Fonte. Bus #21A also stops in Largo da Fonte, but it then continues till Lajinhas, so, taking this one would mean you'd have to be careful to hop off in the right place.

The bus stop in town for these buses is not along the main waterfront avenue, but at the beginning of Rua 31 de Janeiro.

Another possibllity for your ride up to Monte, is bus #22 Babosas, it finishes not far from the entrance to Monte Tropical Gardens. The bus stop is near the cable car station in town.

Thank you so much for the information, not long now till I visit Madeira again and really looking forward to seeing it again - this time approaching by sea! If you don't mind another question, there is a coach company located in the little shopping plaza not to far from the Lido area. This was recommended by our hotel last time. Would you happen to know the name of it?

Many thanks again!

Hi Biaria,

Sorry to respond to my own question but I have been looking at Madeira on another website and I have remembered the name of the coach co. which is 'Strawberry World'. I think I will book on the half day Nuns' Valley tour as the in-laws cannot walk very far. We will therefore get a taxi to their offices in the morning as although we could easily walk there, they cannot.

I have now been put off completely going to the Botanical Gardens as many posters on Trip Adviser and other sites have mentioned the very poor state of the birds, and the conditions they are kept in, and all 4 od us would find this really distressing.

I wonder why the Madeiran authorities don't do something about this as it has obviously deterred many others from visiting this beautiful garden?

Best regards, Bluebelle.

Hello bluebelle,

If you contact the tour company in advance, maybe they'll meet you at the pier. Try and see.

Loiro Parque, the birds' park, is separate from the Botanical Gardens, but they are connected and the ticket you buy for the Gardens, gives access to it as well.

I can't comment on the current state of Loiro Parque, because last time I was there was 20 years ago. All seemed fine at the time and the birds were beautiful and exotic. It's privately owned, so the authorities are not responsible for it. If the birds were reported to be in a really poor condition, they would do something, of course, but I don't think it's the case. In fact I never heard any local people, organizations, clubs, groups, whatever, complain about the state of the Loiro Parque.

Regards to you, too.

Hi BettyBoop,

It is highly likely that many of the things you can get are import restricted to most other countries.

I would think that all plant materials will be forbidden or require licence

Processed foods will mostly be OK but even then some will likely be restricted. eg meat product into the US.

Check carefully.