I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hello tifftoff,

Visits to the Reid's gardens are now only possible on Wednesdays and Sundays from 3:30pm to 4:30pm and they charge 15 EUR per person.

Other well know gardens are the Botanical Gardens (4 EUR p/p) and Monte Palace Gardens (10 EUR p/p).

Hello Biaria,

We are in Madeira on Sunday and Monday in October.

My partner uses a litlle scootmobiel. Is the area around the harbor easy to ride with a scooter and are there some shops with local products and restaurants for lunch? we can't go to far, say within 1.5 - 2 km.

Thanks in advance

Maria

Hi Maria,

Your partner will have no problem in the area close to the harbor and he will be ok going to town as well. But as you're limited 1.5 - 2 km, I'm afraid you won't be able to see the entire town. Let's say that from the harbor to the market it's about 2.5 km. But then you don't have to go to the market for your visit to town to be worthwhile. There's lots of other things to see as well - I think you'll be able to go as far as the Cathedral at least and you'll find restaurants and shops on the way there.

On Sunday most shops in town tend to be closed though, but restaurants and bars are open.

Trying to plan our afternoon, so I would like to know how long this morning activity might take:

If we took the Cable Car up to Monte, walked around a bit...

...and then took a toboggan ride downhill, then a cab back to the Cable Car terminal (where our car would be parked)...

...about how long should that activity take?

Thanks for any guesstimates. ;)

Hello computerworks,

The cable car ride up to Monte takes 15 minutes. The toboggan ride plus taxi to where your car will be parked will be 30 minutes. Now you just work out for how long you can stay in Monte.

Before getting inside the taxi make sure the driver won't charge you more than 10 EUR for your ride from the end of the toboggan ride to where you're parking your car.

Have a great day!

Has anyone had tea at Reid's Palace recently? Considering this for our trip next May.

Thank you!

Kristen

Hello Kristen,

I never had tea at the Reid's, so I was waiting for someone else to answer you, but as nobody did so far, I thought I could say that according to some posters it's a very pleasant experience, but a bit on the expensive side.

Maybe if you ask on Trip Advisor you'll get a more precise answer.

We have arranged to go on a tour of Madeira. However, we had hoped to also take the catamaran after the tour ended. Given the way too short a time our ship will be docked, and given the schedule of the catamaran, it is impossible to do both. Do you recommend the land tour or the ocean one? I know that it depends on our interests, but which would you do if your time on Madeira is only a matter of hours?:confused:

My cruise ship will be calling Funchal mid November.

I spent a week in Funchal 11 years ago! At that time I ate the typical Espetada! I can not remember the restaurant name located in the city center.

Can you recommend one, in the same area, for a good espetada?

Hi Wotan,

I can't specify any names because that's against the rules, but I think the Old Town area will be a good place for your meal. You'll find several restaurants there, just look around and take your pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Biaria ... We will be on the Equinox when she arrives in Funchal on Sunday, December 2nd.

We plan on taking the cable car up to Monte. Which bus number runs from the port area to the base of the cable car? And also which bus number do we take from Monte back down into town?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by ILCruiser

Hi ILCruiser,

There's not a regular bus from the port to the cable car station, but if you're lucky there'll be a shuttle bus. Try to find out if there's one, because it's not always available.

An alternative is to take a taxi - they'll charge you 7.50 EUR per 4 passenger taxi - or you can walk - will take you something like 40 minutes.

In case you decide to walk: there's some construction work going on at the waterfront avenue in Funchal. Even though your walk will be diverted from the normal path at some point, you'll still arrive at the cable car station.

From Monte down you can take bus numbers 20 and 21 in Largo da Fonte or 22 in Babosas. Buses going to town say "Centro".

• 2 weeks later...

Biaria: As we are planning to visit Maderia (Funchal) in April 2013, I just read a post written by one of the passengers that will be on our ship. He claims there is dengue fever in Maderia at this time. I am not really concerned as it is 5 months away, but, I feel that he may have put a damper on the rest of us planning to disembark in your lovely island. Do you think this would be a problem? I am really sorry to write to you with this question, but, I would like to calm the fears of other passengers.

Marie:)

Hello Marie,

Unfortunately dengue fever arrived in Madeira, but as normally mosquitoes disappear in Winter and only come back in Summer, I dare say that in April you'll most probably be safe. However, maybe I better give you an update on the situation closer to your visit and if it's still bad you can always use insect repellent, so no reason not to see our beautiful island.

Enjoy your visit!

Hello Biaria:

Thank you for your prompt reply. I totally agree with you. I am thinking the weather in April will still require us to wear long pants and a shirt with long sleeves or a sweater. I am sure there is no problem there. I live in So. Florida, USA, and, we too have our episodes with misquitos. I am sure we will enjoy your beautiful home, and, those who are worried can stay on the ship and miss a real treat.

Thank you again.

Marie:)

Hello from Texas

The Seabourn Legend (the TA Crossing I had to cancel due to illness) will call on Funchal Nov. 19th ~Danny may want to be at the dock as some Sailors enjoy private car/driver!

I'm better with medication but neuropathy is hard to treat ~I'm so disappointed I won't be aboard the Legend......many of my "blue water" Sailor friends are there~

Love to you

Martita B