I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Biaria,

We had a port call in Funchal a couple of years ago and followed your wonderful advice to take the hop-on, hop-off bus tour and then take the cable car to Monte for the toboggan ride. It was a delight day. I posted a video of our day in Funchal on youtube, but it was blocked in several countries, including Portugal, due to copyright laws protecting the music I selected.

I have update this video to a high-defination, wide-angle version with different music. click on the link below for information on viewing this video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38719387&postcount=299

Thanks again for the service you provide to cruise critic members. You are a true ambassador for Mederia.

Ron

Biaria,

We had a lovely visit to Madeira in May. Our friends and I agreed that it definitely is a place to come back to.

We toured with a taxi we picked at the dock. Our last stop was the fishing village Camera de Lobos. We lucked into a wonderful friendly bar, one street back from the water. They had us make some poncha (yum) and try some fruit, banana & passion fruit with sugar cane syrup. Of course we brought home some wine, sugar cane cake, poncha (yum) and Mel-de-cana.

Does the sugar cane syrup need refrigeration?

Please give me some additional ideas for uses.

Thanks for your aid in making our stop so enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello DragonOfTheSeas, thank you for your message.

It's only now that I realized I have all these people waiting for my attention, I promise I'll be back here as soon as possible.

In the meantime... all the best to everybody!

Hi again Simon,

The first portion of the walk back to the ship is downhill, so all you have to do is keep going down, however once you get to town, you may still need some directions to find your way back to the ship. Unless, of course, you are an adventurous person and have enough time left to keep on walking until you get sight of the sea, which won't be too far anyway.

It's a longer walk and harder than it looks

If your not in shape there are taxis at end of ride.

I suggest also go to the market

It is a wonderful one.

We will be visiting Madeira the end of Nov on the Maasdam. What are the normal temperatures that time our year?

Hi iflyrc5, the normal temperatures in Madeira at the end of November are around 60 to 70ºF.

Enjoy your visit!

Hello, my friend!

Just a note to tell you the Seabourn Legend will be calling on Funchal tomorrow~~April 16th. I was so saddened, that due to my illness (neuropathy) I was unable to book the Legend TA Crossing.....Boo Hoo! This is the 1st time in 12 yrs I was not aboard a Seabourn ship on the Spring Crossing.

Sure have missed "visitin'" with you.....

Big Texas hugs

Martita B

Hi Martita, I hope you're well by now and ready to cruise. All the best!

Biaria,

We are visiting beautiful Madeira soon, on May 13. So excited after seeing our best friends pictures of their cruise stop there a few years ago.

Our tentative plans are to walk to town center, visit the market in old town, take the cable car up, toboggan ride down, and back to town or ship. Please give us walking directions, and also bus numbers and routes that could be used in case we decide not to over do.

Thank-you in advance,

Carol

Hi ceetee,

It's too late now to be giving you any directions because May 13 is long gone. I'm so sorry, but I simply didn't realize I had your post here waiting for me. I'm sure you had a great day on Madeira Island.

Now, just in case it may come in handy to anybody else, I'm going to ad that from the end of the toboggan ride, it's possible to take the bus down to the centre of town.

Best regards!

Which Garden would be "the best" one to visit during our port day in Madeira...Tuesday...Oct 22/13.

Madeira Botanical Gardens

Monte Palace Tropical Gardens

Monte Municipal Gardens.

What are the current Entrance fees for each of the above gardens?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above questions.

Pat :)

Hello 2Canucks,

Of all three gardens you mention, Monte Palace Tropical Gardens are the biggest and more interesting (allow at least 2 hours to see it), but the other two are very nice as well, especially if you are a flower lover. 1 hour is enough to see the Botanical Gardens.

You can reach Monte by cable car, by bus (# 20, 21 or 22) or by taxi, but of course the bus is the most economical option, paying 1.90 euros per adult for a ticket bought inside the bus. Let me add now that due to some construction work along part of the waterfront avenue, the best is bus # 22 because it's leaving from the Old Town area, the other two are stopping further away. If you like the idea of the cable car ride, there's a combined ticket that includes a round trip plus entrance at the Tropical Gardens for 23.75 euros per adult. However, should you be interested in taking the toboggan ride after your visit to the gardens, it's no use buying the combined ticket, because it's not a good idea to go back up to Monte afterwards. Rather wait for the bus to town (Centro) near the end of the toboggan ride. There's taxis too, but they will over charge you.

I'm going to fit in here that the toboggan ride is 15 euros per person sharing.

To go to the Botanical Gardens it's either bus # 31 or 31A. You'll see the bus stop along the waterfront avenue. There's also a cable car from Monte to the Botanical Gardens for 8,25 euros one way and 12.75 euros round trip.

In case you're interested, follow this link for more info about our public transport http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/index-eng.php

Entrance fees at the Gardens at the moment are: Botanical Gardens - 5 euros per adult; the Monte Tropical Gardens charge 10 euros per person from the age of 15 onward; at the Monte Municipal Gardens entrance is free.

Enjoy your day on Madeira Island!

We are arriving in Funchal on Sunday 12th May. We wondered whether the shops are likely to be closed, including the shopping centre (the one in the centre, on a hill)

Hi Ed Wudz, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I'm still going to answer though, because it may help others visiting Madeira in the future.

Most shops close on Sundays, but the bigger shopping centres are open. I'm not sure which shopping centre you're talking about, but if it's in the city centre it may be closed.

We will be in Funchal on a Thursday in April 2014, our first time there.

I have just discovered this thread, and plan on reading the whole thing, but in the meantime, would you recommend:

a half day tour and a half day in Funchal on our own; or a full day tour?

I like to see small towns, coastline, great views, crafts, and markets. Are there any markets on Thursdays?

What part of Madeira should first timers see: East, West, Nun's Valley?

Thank you for your advice!

Hi tropicalkerry2002,

My personal choice would be a half day tour in the morning and the rest of the time I would spend walking and exploring the town on my own.

The Nun's Valley is very appropriate for a half day tour and it can be combined with a couple of other sites not too far from each other. For amazing coastline views, try to have Cabo Girão included in your tour. And a lovely small fishing town - Camara de Lobos.

If you appreciate markets, visit Mercado dos Lavradores in down town Funchal. It's a flower, fresh produce and fish market, it opens everyday and you'll be amazed at all the colours, textures, smells, you name it, you'll find there.

You're welcome and have a great day on the island!

Hi Biaria,

We had a port call in Funchal a couple of years ago and followed your wonderful advice to take the hop-on, hop-off bus tour and then take the cable car to Monte for the toboggan ride. It was a delight day. I posted a video of our day in Funchal on youtube, but it was blocked in several countries, including Portugal, due to copyright laws protecting the music I selected.

I have update this video to a high-defination, wide-angle version with different music. click on the link below for information on viewing this video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38719387&postcount=299

Thanks again for the service you provide to cruise critic members. You are a true ambassador for Mederia.

Ron

Wow, Cruzer Two, this is a most delightful video! Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm always so pleased to help each and everyone of you, so anyone is welcome to post any doubts, questions... the lot.

Best wishes from Madeira!

Biaria,

We had a lovely visit to Madeira in May. Our friends and I agreed that it definitely is a place to come back to.

We toured with a taxi we picked at the dock. Our last stop was the fishing village Camera de Lobos. We lucked into a wonderful friendly bar, one street back from the water. They had us make some poncha (yum) and try some fruit, banana & passion fruit with sugar cane syrup. Of course we brought home some wine, sugar cane cake, poncha (yum) and Mel-de-cana.

Does the sugar cane syrup need refrigeration?

Please give me some additional ideas for uses.

Thanks for your aid in making our stop so enjoyable.

Hello again ceetee,

I'm so pleased to know that you loved your visit to Madeira. I agree too, Madeira is a place to come back to, especially as there's still a lot for you to see.

Poncha has become the #1 drink around here, so it's good that you had the opportunity to taste it and see for yourself how nice it is.

No, I never refrigerate Mel-de-cana, because it has a very long shelf life. You can use it just like you do with any other syrup, you can even sweeten your milk drink with it. My favourite use for Mel-de-cana though, is biscuit making. I'm passing my recipe on to you in case you may like to try:

Madeira Sugar Cane Syrup Biscuits

150g cake flour

50g butter or margerine

25g lard

75g sugar

2 tablespoons sugar cane syrup

5ml ground cinnamon

1ml ground nutmeg

1/2ml backing soda

Pre-heat oven to 150ºC.

Mix all the ingredients together and make small balls. Place them in a greased backing tray, and let them bake for 20 minutes.

It's a longer walk and harder than it looks

If your not in shape there are taxis at end of ride.

I suggest also go to the market

It is a wonderful one.

That's right ssb, the walk from the end of the toboggan ride to town is not for everybody. It takes a lot of downhill walking which may be very hard on the knees. Apart from taxis, there's also the public bus.

I agree, a visit to the market is a must - it's situated in town so very easy to reach.

Hello again ceetee,

I'm so pleased to know that you loved your visit to Madeira. I agree too, Madeira is a place to come back to, especially as there's still a lot for you to see.

Poncha has become the #1 drink around here, so it's good that you had the opportunity to taste it and see for yourself how nice it is.

No, I never refrigerate Mel-de-cana, because it has a very long shelf life. You can use it just like you do with any other syrup, you can even sweeten your milk drink with it. My favourite use for Mel-de-cana though, is biscuit making. I'm passing my recipe on to you in case you may like to try:

Madeira Sugar Cane Syrup Biscuits

150g cake flour

50g butter or margerine

25g lard

75g sugar

2 tablespoons sugar cane syrup

5ml ground cinnamon

1ml ground nutmeg

1/2ml backing soda

Pre-heat oven to 150ºC.

Mix all the ingredients together and make small balls. Place them in a greased backing tray, and let them bake for 20 minutes.

It is good to see you back. You have so much great information.

This recipe sounds delicious.

Hello DragonOfTheSeas,

This a very traditional recipe in Madeira and the biscuits are indeed delicious.

It's nice to be back really, I had a great time today answering all the posts :-)

Have a nice day!

We will be in Funchal on the first Sunday in November. We were thinking of going to Camara de Lobos for lunch/sightseeing and then stopping at Reid's for a drink on the way back to the ship. I saw from an earlier bus that there is a bus from Funchal to Camara de Lobos, but can we find a taxi there to get to Reid's?

We did the cable car to Monte and the Madeira Story museum on a prior trip and thought we would like to see a little more of the island. Does this itinerary make sense or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your helpful information

Mary

Hello marymcgol,

Yes, I think you have a nice plan for your day in Madeira. Of course there's still lots more for you to see on the island, but you can always take a longer tour on your next visit.

Rodoeste is the bus company that passes by Camara de Lobos, but please understand that as you'll be in Madeira on a Sunday, there'll be fewer buses running. Due to some construction work along the waterfront avenue, some bus stops had to be moved from their usual location. I have no idea how things will be in November, so your best bet is to ask someone where you can take the right bus. Following this link you'll see which buses pass by Camara de Lobos: http://www.rodoeste.pt/horarios.html Their website is only available in Portuguese, so if you need help to understand it, just let me know. It's a pity they don't show their timetable.

Yes, you then can take a taxi from Camara de Lobos to the Reid's.

Biaria, we can't make up our minds what we want to do in Funchal so are wondering if there are booths by the port that offer city tours, information, etc.?

Are there any outdoor restaurants or cafes near the dock?

Thanks for the help.

Hi sassy12,

The HOHO bus is promoting their services at the docks. The bus doesn't go right inside the harbour though.

There's always taxis at the harbor, too and the drivers will all be eager to offer you tours. Beware that they may overcharge you - if you think that one tour is being offered at an inflated price, don't accept. Another driver will offer you a better price, especially if he's further back in the line.

There's a snack bar at the docks and the next one is nearer to the center of town.

• 1 month later...

We are visiting Funchal Madeira in December for an overnight on our cruise, we are thinking to do a Levada walk with “Madeira Happy Tours”. Anybody any good experience with them? Trip advisor has good reviews, just wondering if any cruise passengers has more on them. We are aiming to do a half day walk with them; Vale paraiso Walk: in Camacha Village, not very far from Funchal or the Referta walk: on the East coast of the Island, with amazing views of Porto da Cruz and Penha d’Águia. Our preference looks more to the second walk with nice vieuws. Any comments???

Hi Alphen, even though I'm not allowed to make any references to businesses, I can help you choose your walk - Referta for sure.

Enjoy!

That is quick, thanks for the advice, from what we have read on the web, this looks the most appealing.