I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

We plan to withdraw money from an ATM once we arrive. Where is the closest ATM to the port? We will need to have euros to pay for our tour with Daniel Taxi.

Thank you!

Kristen

I guarantee the taxi driver will be happy to take you to an ATM, believe me! :D

Hello Biaria

I would like to know if there is a bus which goes close to Cabo Girao viewpoint from Funchal. If there is one I guess it will be a red Rodoeste bus. The alternative is to take a bus to Camara de Lobos and take a cab from there. I know the rapido bus will not go near there.

Hello 2irisheyes,

You're right, Rodoeste has several buses that go close to Cabo Girao. For information please click on this link: http://www.rodoeste.pt/horarios.html

The website is only available in Portuguese, if you need help feel free to ask.

Have a nice day in Madeira.

Hi Biaria,

I will be visiting Madeira in May and have never been before. Can you recommend any "must see" things to do? I've noticed several tours to various parts of the island, but i don't know what's the difference between East or West, etc. Thanks for any advice! :)

Hi Beachcruzer,

Madeira is beautiful all over so any tour you choose will be a good one. Let me just add - as it may help you decide - that the west side is very popular among first timers.

You're welcome and enjoy the island.

Since April 25th is a holiday, do I assume that Blandy's and the market will not be open that day? We enjoyed a visit on a Sunday last November but Blandy's and the market were closed then.

Also will the public buses be running to Monte on that day? Is there a public bus to pico dos barcelos that day? If so, what bus number would go there? Where would I find the bus schedule?

Thank you for all your information

Just our luck , last time it a Sunday now a holiday , good thing tours are cheap in Madeira :-)

Biaria,

We will be in Funchal in early November during a TA crossing on the Legend of the Seas. I just found this website:

http://www.**************.com/Funchal-Madeira-03-22-2012.pdf

Are you familiar with it and does the information seem accurate. Thanks.

We are looking for a guide and it does not exactly recommend one, but he says the public transportation and HoHo buses are pretty good. Would love your opinion on this website and the pdf file. Thanks, Elsie

Just would like some info re mosquitos in Madeira.

We will be there on the13th of May for 1 day on cruise. Word is that Denghe fever is in the Island from mosquito bites!!

Will they be bad at that time of year , and what do you suggest to protect ourselves , beside not leave the ship. :eek: Do you suggest a particular spray for protection ? Joan.

We will be there on the13th of May for 1 day on cruise. Word is that Denghe fever is in the Island from mosquito bites!!

Will they be bad at that time of year , and what do you suggest to protect ourselves , beside not leave the ship. :eek: Do you suggest a particular spray for protection ? Joan.

I have a friend who is a doctor in Funchal. He tells me that the government has taken on an eradication campaign to eliminate the mosquitoes and he is in hopes it's been effective. He said that the Dengue virus type there was the Serotype I, which is the mildest form. There have apparently been no cases over the winter. And he also recommended in the summer (warm and humid days) to use an insect repellent on bare skin ... he didn't specify the type.

I don't know if that helped, but I hope so....

Biaria,

We will be in Funchal in early November during a TA crossing on the Legend of the Seas. I just found this website:

http://www.**************.com/Funchal-Madeira-03-22-2012.pdf

Are you familiar with it and does the information seem accurate. Thanks.

We are looking for a guide and it does not exactly recommend one, but he says the public transportation and HoHo buses are pretty good. Would love your opinion on this website and the pdf file. Thanks, Elsie

Hello Elsie,

It seems access to this website has been blocked, so I have no idea what it was like, however from what you're saying I understand that it's about Madeira.

Yes, if you like the HOHO bus, our offers two good tours and if you choose the official yellow one, the ticket can be used on public transport too on the day you buy it. Public transport is good to visit Monte or the Botanical Gardens, for instance.

Spending some time exploring the city centre is a good idea as well.

Have a nice day in Madeira!

Hi Joan,

I haven't seen any mosquitoes for some time now, which has been a relief and there has been no reports about dengue fever lately. The Government is taking measures to keep mosquitoes away, but I think the warm weather will still bring some... or lots! It's a question of "wait and see".

As May is not too hot, probably mosquitoes will still be away, but if you want to be sure that you're safe, you may prefer to use a repelent. A DEET (N-Diethyl-meta-toluamida) one is recommended as being the most effective.

Enjoy Madeira!

To everyone interested - the latest updated news is that since February 4 there's been no new cases of Dengue Fever in Madeira. Very good news I must say!

Edited by biaria

Hi Biaria:

My husband and I will be in Funchal during our Trans-Atlantic cruise in early April. My husband's co-worker recommended to try Funchal Vegetable soup. Research online and found a Lentil Soup and a Tomato Onion Soup. Not sure which is the recommended one. Anyway, would you know of a good restaurant to sample either or both of the above soups near the Town Hall area? Thank you!

Irene

Hi Irene,

Vegetable Soup is none of the two you mention and it's served in the majority of restaurants in Funchal and all over Madeira, so you'll easily find one offering it. Just ask for Vegetable Soup.

Maybe your husband's co-worker could let him have the name of the restaurant where he had the soup.

Have a nice day in Madeira!

We had a wonderful taxi tour with very pleasant young man, Raphael, last October when we visited there on the Ruby Princess, for only 30 euros apiece. He approached us as we got off the shuttle from the pier, and since we had nothing else planned, decided to do it, and never regretted it. We enjoyed wandering through the botanical garden, went up to the top of Monte and visited the lovely little church, watched the brave souls riding the sleds down the hillside, and drove around the island seeing the sights. We also stopped at a little restaurant high on a cliff overlooking the sea, and had excellent food and wine quite reasonably. It was a great and memorable day!!

Hi

Sorry to be a pain, we will be in Madeira on the 14th May on the Independence of the Seas from 9am to 4pm, can anyone recommend a good place to go nearby for a steak on a stone for lunch.

Any help will be much appreciated.

kind Regards

Oddjob

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Biaria. I am so grateful for (and impressed with) the information you have shared here. You're a godsend. My husband and I will be in Madeira May 2 from 0700 to 1700 (arriving via Mariner of the Seas). This will be our second visit. My mother, who is Portuguese American and whose first language was Portuguese, was with us on our first trip. Thanks to her, we were able to see a lot of places with our non-English-speaking taxi driver, including Cabo do Girão, Câmara de Lobos, the toboggan runs, and other areas I can no longer recall. We also tasted wine at the Old Blandy Wine Lodge and visited churches to pray for my grandparents.

On this trip, we plan to spend time visiting the outdoor markets and walking around Old Town. We also want to take a taxi to Reid's Palace for a drink. Based on your response to someone several pages back, I don't think we have time to take the cable car to Monte and back before going to Reid's.

My question: is it possible to walk around the grounds of Reid's Palace or will we be limited to the bar? I know you said the gardens were only open to visitors on Wednesdays and one other day. Are the gardens the same as the grounds? Will we be able to get near the cliffs for view?

Thank you so much for the personal attention you give to each of us. How time-consuming for you and what a gift for us!

Hello Editrix,

If your cruise ship is arriving at 7am you have more than enough time for everything you're planning to do including the cable car ride up and down. If you're really positive that you're taking the cable car ride down too, don't forget to buy a round trip ticket.

Yes, I imagine that the grounds and the gardens are the same at the Reid's and you'll only be able to be in the bar area.

Apart from Wednesdays, they also open the gardens on Sundays.

Thank you so much for the kind words and enjoy your day in Madeira.

Hello, my friend!

Just a note to tell you the Seabourn Legend will be calling on Funchal tomorrow~~April 16th. I was so saddened, that due to my illness (neuropathy) I was unable to book the Legend TA Crossing.....Boo Hoo! This is the 1st time in 12 yrs I was not aboard a Seabourn ship on the Spring Crossing.

Sure have missed "visitin'" with you.....

Big Texas hugs

Martita B

• 2 weeks later...

Biaria,

We are visiting beautiful Madeira soon, on May 13. So excited after seeing our best friends pictures of their cruise stop there a few years ago.

Our tentative plans are to walk to town center, visit the market in old town, take the cable car up, toboggan ride down, and back to town or ship. Please give us walking directions, and also bus numbers and routes that could be used in case we decide not to over do.

Thank-you in advance,

Carol

Which Garden would be "the best" one to visit during our port day in Madeira...Tuesday...Oct 22/13.

Madeira Botanical Gardens

Monte Palace Tropical Gardens

Monte Municipal Gardens.

What are the current Entrance fees for each of the above gardens?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above questions.

Pat :)

• 1 month later...

We will be in Funchal on a Thursday in April 2014, our first time there.

I have just discovered this thread, and plan on reading the whole thing, but in the meantime, would you recommend:

a half day tour and a half day in Funchal on our own; or a full day tour?

I like to see small towns, coastline, great views, crafts, and markets. Are there any markets on Thursdays?

What part of Madeira should first timers see: East, West, Nun's Valley?

Thank you for your advice!