I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hello Martita,

Thank you for the advice :-)

Good to know you're getting better. I understand your disappointment, but I'm sure you'll be back cruising with your friends soon and enjoying Madeira once again.

Cheers!

I am still planning to come to Madeira for a couple of weeks ~will, of course, stay at the Dias family hotel. It is so lovely ~~in fact 2 of my Legend friends are going for a cocktail on Nov. 19th! ~In my honor ~~hopefully they'll meet Mr Dias.

He and his Son are special people!

Fondly,

MB

Hello again Martita,

I'm sure on November 19th your thoughts will be with your friends and the Dias hotel, so even thought you won't be there fisically your mind will.

After visiting Madeira for just a couple of hours each time, staying here for a couple of weeks will come as real treat to you.

Have a nice weekend!

Hi, this thread is so long that I am afraid I cannot read all of it. I am sure that you have been asked this question lots of times but I will impose on your good nature and ask again :).

We will be in Funchal on P+O Azura on 19th December. I am not able to sit on tour coaches or busses in comfort so we will DIY as much as possible. Is there lots to see and do in Funchal itself? I have seen your comment about getting a shuttlebus or taxi to the cablecar. Mr Slugsta would prefer to stay away from the main shops, we enjoy history and nature.

Many thanks.

Hello Mrs. Slugsta,

Funchal town itself is interesting to explore - you'll find gardens, museums, wine lodges, churches... oh and don't miss the market - better to go there in the morning.

Yes, sometimes shuttle buses are availble for pier to town rides and there's the taxis too. A taxi ride from the harbour to town is 7.50 euros. The cable car station is in town, but you better ask to be dropped off near by. The market is not far from the cable car station, so you may like to go there frist before heading up to Monte.

Another suggestion for your day, and considering the fact that your husband prefers to stay away from the shops and you both appreciate history and nature, is hiring a taxi for a tour. You can get one at the pier or, if you prefer, you can book in advance.

Whatever you end up doing, your day in Madeira will be very pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are interested in doing the Cable Car & Toboggan run when we arrive in Madeira on the 31st Dec, can anyone advise if its best to book this tour through PO or can we do it independently. If we do it independently how easy is it to do and roughly how much would it cost.

Where would you recommended we went shopping the type of shops we like are Primark, New Look, Mataland, H&M ect. This will be our 1st Cruise so your advice will be very much appreciated.

We did it last month...it is an easy task.

You can walk to the CableCar terminal or take a cab...it is close, just east of the port.

The one-way ride up is 8 euros p/p

The toboggan was 25 euros (I think...certainly close to that)

That takes you halfway back. At the end of the toboggan there is a line of cabs.

10 -20 euros back to town, depending on who you get :-)

• 1 month later...

We are stopping on April 25 2013 and just found out it is a national holiday

We were just in here in December on a Sunday and did a jeep tour , enjoyed it and was hoping to just explore the town this time

Will most shops be closed, will there be a festival on this day in Funchal ?

Thank you for any info you can pass on

Hello Airbalancer,

Yes, April 25 being a holiday most shops will be closed in town. Now, considering the fact that there'll be a cruise ship at the docks, some souvenir shops may open. Restaurants and bars will be open.

However, even with most shops closed, Funchal is still very interesting to walk around and explore, so no need to worry.

If you like the idea, you can also take the cable car up to Monte and spend sometime there. You'll pay 15 euros per person for a round trip.

I don't think there will be any big celebrations going on related to this holiday.

Enjoy your day in Madeira!

You're welcome :-)

That's great! Madeira has so much natural beauty, it's well worth taking a tour.

You're right, compared to other countries in Europe, Portugal and Madeira as well offer very reasonable prices.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
I can advice...

Have never posted before and apologise if someone has asked this before.

I will be in Funchal on Sunday 17 nov 2013 from 8.00 till 5.30 tho I prefer not to get off till about 9.30 !! Will I have time to do the cable car up Monte, the toboggan ride and get to Reids for afternoon tea ? I don't want to spend too much on taxis etc.

Hello Poppyclogs,

Yes, you'll have enough time for everything, but I'm not sure if the Toboggans will be running - now the Toboggan ride closes on Sundays all day, opening only when they have bookings from cruise liners. Considering the fact that on November 17 there'll be 3 cruise ships at our harbour they may well be open.

You can still take your cable car ride up to Monte and spend some time there. You can walk from the pier to the cable car, if you wish - it may take you something like 45 to 50 minutes. It used to be quicker but now there's some construction work along the waterfront avenue and you'll have to walk along the other side of the street, which is not so straight forward, but you'll get there.

Thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to the visit and have always wanted to have afternoon tea at Reids. Hope the toboggans will be running.

If there's 3 ships in, does that mean Funchal will be overcrowded or can it absorb all those people ??

• 2 weeks later...

Since April 25th is a holiday, do I assume that Blandy's and the market will not be open that day? We enjoyed a visit on a Sunday last November but Blandy's and the market were closed then.

Also will the public buses be running to Monte on that day? Is there a public bus to pico dos barcelos that day? If so, what bus number would go there? Where would I find the bus schedule?

Thank you for all your information

Hi floridafolks,

You're right, April 25th being a public holiday Blandy's and the market will be closed again.

Yes, public buses will be running, but look under "Domingos e Feriados" on the timetable. Yes you can take public transport to Pico dos Barcelos on that day. Please follow this link for the info you'll be needing: http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/index-eng.php

You're welcome and enjoy Madeira.

Hello Biaria

I would like to know if there is a bus which goes close to Cabo Girao viewpoint from Funchal. If there is one I guess it will be a red Rodoeste bus. The alternative is to take a bus to Camara de Lobos and take a cab from there. I know the rapido bus will not go near there.

Hi Biaria,

I will be visiting Madeira in May and have never been before. Can you recommend any "must see" things to do? I've noticed several tours to various parts of the island, but i don't know what's the difference between East or West, etc. Thanks for any advice! :)