Have a Fight On My Hands

Hei1980

when a friend of ours used a scooter on the Liberty-- he wheeled to the table and the waiter took it to park it someplace safe.

It made it very manageable for our friend to get around the ship.

The problem with a scooter-- it might not fit into your cabin- so you will have to take it to the pursers desk for recharging

what others have written is correct. medicare does not pay for assistive devices to help people outside of the home. It's been a great bone of contention for years. Basically you have to need the device (wheelchair, scooter) to get around in your home. And they won't approve it if you can use a manual wheelchair. They even disallow some upgrades on power chairs that would enable people to get around outside and become more independent. Plus in the past year or so, they have really cracked down on scooters, as there were a lot of companies advertising them "free - medicare covers it all" on TV. Things have really changed and tightened up. Getting coverage by any kin of assistive device that offers independence outside the home is almost impossible.

Oh, an when I said "try out" a scooter before you buy it, I meant go to a dealer to see what they offer, and try out different models there. You should also make it a point to give it a test ride outside, on different surfaces an up and down curb cuts if possible.

Candy

My husband uses a wheel chair in the house but does everything in outside on his scooter. I purchased the scooters at the local Durable Equipment supply at Hospital. We rented them for first time on a curise. I rented them for less than $100 for a month much less than rentals I have seen We have them now to get around airports and pre cruise -after we saw how well they worked we purchased them for abt 1/2 regular price. I have difficulty walking distances so sure are great on cruise.

I do know that the TravelScoot fits through the cabin door, and if it didn't, it EASILY folds like an umbrella to go through the door or to store in a small place. My TravelScoot battery weighs less than 6 pounds and I plug it directly into the charger, so the scooter itself doesn't need to be near where it's being charged.

I haven't been on a cruise yet with a scooter, but it's great to hear all the comments about how well it works. My cruise is next March.

when a friend of ours used a scooter on the Liberty-- he wheeled to the table and the waiter took it to park it someplace safe.

It made it very manageable for our friend to get around the ship.

The problem with a scooter-- it might not fit into your cabin- so you will have to take it to the pursers desk for recharging

I think the Scoot is 23 inches wide so you would have to fold it. It sounds like a great scooter for one person to handle. I hate the price of that light weight battery though.:eek:

They paid for a Pride GoGo Elite for me!!!!!! It's small enough to travel with, it's been on 3 cruises now! Nancie

How did you manage that? I've talked to about all the companies and they have told me otherwise. How long have you had yours?

Looked at company website. Think I'll get one as soon as I can afford it.

(Main concern on other posts has been for son, but I have mobility issues of my own since stroke.):cool:

There's also a modification Hardy Huber (the TravelScoot inventor) will make for taller people if it's needed. He can modify where the footrests are mounted. There's a picture of it on my blog:

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/03/footrest-modification.html

I have one lithium ion battery and haven't had a need for a second one yet, but would like to get one eventually, just in case.

The only time I've needed to use the brakes has been on down grades, and then they come in really handy. Normally I just let off the throttle and my TravelScoot stops. Putting my feet down helps stop it quicker too.

Elizabeth

Nancy, you must have gotten your scooter more than 2 years ago which is when Medicare significantly tightened up their rules. You would not get a scooter now if you could walk in your home, and Medicare clearly states that they will not buy a scooter or power wheelchair for community mobility only (ie, travel, getting to the market, going to the zoo, or taking a cruise). Even getting one for use in the home is only possible now if you have an evaluation by a RESNA credentialed therapist, who must indicate in their evaluation that you cannot use a manual wheelchair in your home.

For stability purposes I purchased a Golden Companion II -- comes apart into 3 sections - fits in a Nissan Maxima. It's very rugged and takes a beating - cobblestones, hard pressed sand, does ramps well - large under clearance, foam filled tires (very important), comfy seat, lots of power. Highly recommended.

We just did a cabin crawl on the Explorer of the Seas -- accessible cabin is the only one it would go through, except for Suite. Accessible cabins are lovely, about 1-1/2 size of regular and give you turning area. Go see the maitre d' in the dining room as soon as you board to get an appropriate table. Scooter can go right up to the table and they LOVE parking them and returning them to you. Any scooter gives you a sense of independence and it's fun. Vicki:)

I am considering purchasing a Travelscoot for our upcoming Transatlantic cruise on Carnival Dream and will be using it pre-cruise in Rome. Has anyone had any experience with using s Scooter in Rome, Malaga or Barcelona?

Kati or Elizabeth, how often do you need to replace the belts on your Travelscoot? I see where you can order extras. Though I am a large gal, almost 250, Hardy recommended the Jr. Scoot for me as I am 4’11”. I too have bad knees and endurance issues when walking.

A quick answer to your question about Rome, Malaga and Barcelona: Spain is much more accommodating than Italy. Barcelona is completely accessible. Malaga is difficult but not impossible, Rome was much more difficult. For all of them, it depends on the scooter and the user. If bumping along cobblestones bothers you or your back, you need a sturdier scooter with bigger tires. If you can get off when you encounter curbs and let your companion lift the scooter up over them, then almost anything is possible.

I found Rome rather difficult. I was using a rollator then and even with that had trouble. There are very few curb cuts and when I was able to find a cut there was almost always a car parked in front of the cut. However I did have a great time at the coloseum as it has an elevator. The vatican museum was difficult as it is very spread out with lots of different levels and stairs without lifts between the levels. However the Sistine Chapel can be reached with stair lifts. My only problem with the Sistine was how crowded it was and as everyone was looking up I was constantly being bumped. St. Peter's was easily accessible. There are ramps to get to the main area. The pieta and the altar are both awe inspiring. I could not go down to the crypts (stairs again).

I have MS and haven't been able to walk in over two years. We go on a cruise every year as it is the best vacation for people with a disability. I have taken my scooter for the last two years and will be taking it again on the Carribean Princess on June 20th. The scooter gets around the ship very well, as it is a large one with a high clearance. It isn't easy with excursions as it doesn't fold down like a travel scooter. I also have two travel scooters, but I am afraid of getting stuck on the ship because of the low clearance, so I take my large scooter. I also take a wheelchair (my husband loads our luggage on it and pushes it), just in case there is something I need to do that the scooter won't work for.

I have had no problem with the dining room, the spa, or the theater. I always book early to get an accessible cabin. I get one with a balcony that I can even scoot out onto. If people bring a scooter and it doesn't fit in their room, they leave it in the hall (which is not allowed). I had a cabin across from me two year's ago that left the scooter in the hall and I had no room to pull in or back out of my cabin because of it. My husband would have to move the other scooter, until we complained. It really is a fire hazard to block the halls.

I have taken my scooter to Bermuda, St. Thomas, Nova Scotia, Bay of Fundy, Maine. I have been able to get on the smaller boats that take passengers when the ship can't dock (tethering??).

Believe me, as a person who can't walk, it is so much nicer being independent and not having to count on others to get you around. You and your husband will be happier for it...trust me!:)

I have MS and haven't been able to walk in over two years. We go on a cruise every year as it is the best vacation for people with a disability. I have taken my scooter for the last two years and will be taking it again on the Carribean Princess on June 20th. The scooter gets around the ship very well, as it is a large one with a high clearance. It isn't easy with excursions as it doesn't fold down like a travel scooter. I also have two travel scooters, but I am afraid of getting stuck on the ship because of the low clearance, so I take my large scooter. I also take a wheelchair (my husband loads our luggage on it and pushes it), just in case there is something I need to do that the scooter won't work for.

I have had no problem with the dining room, the spa, or the theater. I always book early to get an accessible cabin. I get one with a balcony that I can even scoot out onto. If people bring a scooter and it doesn't fit in their room, they leave it in the hall (which is not allowed). I had a cabin across from me two year's ago that left the scooter in the hall and I had no room to pull in or back out of my cabin because of it. My husband would have to move the other scooter, until we complained. It really is a fire hazard to block the halls.

I have taken my scooter to Bermuda, St. Thomas, Nova Scotia, Bay of Fundy, Maine. I have been able to get on the smaller boats that take passengers when the ship can't dock (tethering??).

Believe me, as a person who can't walk, it is so much nicer being independent and not having to count on others to get you around. You and your husband will be happier for it...trust me!:)

Good to hear, thanks.

• 1 month later...
Hei,

I read a book titled "When Walking Fails," by By Lisa I. Iezzoni. She's a doctor who has MS and uses a scooter to get around. I highly recommend the book, and I believe there are many points made in it that will help you convince your husband to use mobility aids if he needs them.

...I believe this book is now out of print, but many copies are available on eBay for $1.95 each with reasonable shipping. ...Elizabeth

Thanks for the tip about the book. I found it for less than $1 (plus shipping $3.49) at half.com .

I hope you find information in the book that helps you. I enjoyed reading it.

Elizabeth

Thanks for the tip about the book. I found it for less than $1 (plus shipping $3.49) at half.com .

Yes thanks for the info on the book; I will get a copy for myself.

My husband also has MS and progressed from cane to scooter--he also was adverse to using either but the cane was a necessity. On our first cruise (The QM2 no less) he used a cane and was virtually captive in the cabin except to go to dinner! The next year he still refused the scooter and same thing happened only that time we left from NYC (where we live) so we did not have the airport to deal with.

However, he was worn out from just walking to dinner and then got cranky and I bore the brunt of his frustration.

By the third cruise the next year, I had decided I really needed him to use a scooter. He still resisted but I insisted which is not something I normally would do regarding his mobility. I rented one. We had a mini suite on HAL cause he refused to book a HC room.

Well the difference was outstanding! We enjoyed ourselves so much that we bought a Pride go go. The only problem I have now is keeping up with him on the ship :D. Also he swears that a venue is on one end of the ship and then scoots off and I am following in formal gown and heels only to find that it is on the other end of the ship and off he scoots again! It is really quite fun and I am only jokingly complaining. We have used it on the plane too and he rides it to the gate and they check it and it is waiting when we get off.

It is a good idea to buy it if he will go along with you on that. He uses it infrequently when not travelling but he finds that it is better to scoot to the party and be able to enjoy it and not worry about getting back to your car than to drag himself there and then be exhausted.

So sometimes you need to put it in terms of your own needs and calmly and thoughtfully express your own needs and feelings.

Have fun cruising--it is the BEST for those with mobility issues!

After reading your post I feel I married your husband’s brother.

<he also was adverse to using either but the cane was a necessity. On our first cruise (The QM2 no less) he used a cane and was virtually captive in the cabin except to go to dinner! The next year he still refused the scooter and same thing happened only that time we left from NYC (where we live) so we did not have the airport to deal with.

However, he was worn out from just walking to dinner and then got cranky and I bore the brunt of his frustration.>

DH is still fighting me on the scooter; I keep singing “I am woman and I am strong.” Time will tell.

I'm the woman in the marriage who has been through all the stages. Not trying to do the macho thing, just trying to conserve my energy so that I can do more with the addition of mobility aids. Now I'm in a scooter or WC full time, but I love it and don't miss the days of hobbling around; exhausting myself; and being afraid I'll fall. I've also read and recommend When Walking Fails: I read my town library's copy at no cost!

After reading your post I feel I married your husband’s brother.

<he also was adverse to using either but the cane was a necessity. On our first cruise (The QM2 no less) he used a cane and was virtually captive in the cabin except to go to dinner! The next year he still refused the scooter and same thing happened only that time we left from NYC (where we live) so we did not have the airport to deal with.

However, he was worn out from just walking to dinner and then got cranky and I bore the brunt of his frustration.>

DH is still fighting me on the scooter; I keep singing “I am woman and I am strong.” Time will tell.

I truly understand his reluctance. It is a difficult step to take. It was only when I told my husband that "I" needed it for my sanity/enjoyment/back etc that he did listen. He is, understandably, pre occupied with his needs but when I put it in terms of MY needs (again calmly, gently and lovingly) that he saw what his crankiness and demands were doing to me.

Still fights and "wall walks" and takes chances he should not take. However, our niece is getting married at a garden wedding and this summer and he has agreed to take the scooter.

Enjoy and Best wishes for many more happy cruises!

Archived