Butlins on the Sea

I'm going on my 1st cruise this July and I know everyone says 'you'll love it' and 'once you've been on a cruise you'll never do any other type of holiday' I hate big hotels and crowdy resorts. I am not really looking forward to it to be honest:( Please someone reassure me that it isn't just a big Butlins on Water! We're going on the Celebration if thats any help. If I had my way I would avoid the school holidays like the plague, but unfortunately, no option this year as step daughter is coming with us. Do loads of kids go? God I sound like a miserable sod dont I?? :o I'm not really just feel like we've forked out a fortune for what is going to be the holiday from hell for me!

Just returned this week from cruise on the Celebration. Nothing like Butlins. In the evenings, I only saw about 4 people all week wearing jeans or shorts. Everone else respectable.

If you want Butlins at sea try Ocean Village!!

Just returned this week from cruise on the Celebration. Nothing like Butlins. In the evenings, I only saw about 4 people all week wearing jeans or shorts. Everone else respectable.

If you want Butlins at sea try Ocean Village!!

Ever tried Ocean Village?

Much the same as Thomsons but with bigger ships, with bigger cabins, tea & coffee making facilities in the room as well as 3 different kinds of biscuits and a fridge. Bar service is much quicker, though no waiter service unless you pay extra.

You get to put on your Tux and gown with Thomsons and meet the captain and the trips are cheaper. The entertainments much better.

Much the same kind of clientelle really, same age groups and mix, but on Thomsons the all inclusive packages attract the big drinkers from the older age ranges and there are more people trying to walk in a straight line at the buffet at midnight.

I am a bit fussy about my holidays.Before I cruised I avoided big hotels and tourist hotspots.I hate crowds and love peace and quiet.The last holiday i had before I cruised for example was a small hotel in the Balagne region of Corsica.Before that an old Riad in Essouria Morrocco.You get the idea?

I have since been on 3 cruises and already booked 3 more I have enjoyed them so much.Yes I was worried about Thompsons but I found the Destiny Carribean Cruise so enjoyable I booked a Thomson Baltic cruise as soon as I got back.You will be amazed how you can escape the crowds.There is always a quiet place on deck or in the bar.

We never go to the shows or the main dining Room.We eat in the self service at night which is always quiet.Since most people are in the Dining Room or at the Show at Night then the bars are very quiet mid evening and there is no one on deck.

Enjoy!:p;):D

I have cruised OV, both one and two. Both far bigger than celebration. Both more modern. Cabins are better, far bigger and the food in the buffet restaurants has a much, much bigger choice.

But I stand by my original post of Butlins at sea.

Wear what you like during the day, do what you like too.

But its full of scruffy chavs who wear football shirts and scruffy clothes in the evening to. People who seem to take the relaxed bit a bit far.

I'm going on my 1st cruise this July and I know everyone says 'you'll love it' and 'once you've been on a cruise you'll never do any other type of holiday' I hate big hotels and crowdy resorts. I am not really looking forward to it to be honest:( Please someone reassure me that it isn't just a big Butlins on Water! We're going on the Celebration if thats any help. If I had my way I would avoid the school holidays like the plague, but unfortunately, no option this year as step daughter is coming with us. Do loads of kids go? God I sound like a miserable sod dont I?? :o I'm not really just feel like we've forked out a fortune for what is going to be the holiday from hell for me!

Same here, I hate crowds and prefer the countryside and peace and quiet. However, I have loved everyone of my cruises. They can be what you want them to be. They can be a bit like Butlins if you wanted them to be so. Thats to say you can go to one venue on board to watch Mr & Mrs type shows if you wish, but you can also go to a alternative venue and listen to classical music or a West End type of Show. If you are like me, you will probably sit on a open air deck in the evening, and have lovely cocktails brought to you and just sit watching the ships pass in the night. Each day bring a new experience and you can go on organised tours or go alone like we do.

The people on Thomson cruises are friendly bunch, and I look forward each year to our next cruise. The big cruise lines dont interest me one bit. I could not think of anything worse than going on one of the super liners with 5000 people on board.

Thomson have it just right. I hope they never change the formula.

What can I say. You book a holiday in July and August. Expect to see the kiddies. Dont you just love them. Fortunately they are entitled a nice holiday just like the oldies. The reason for family holidays is that dad and mum work hard all year and would like to spend 2 weeks with their kids. Just sit back and chill.:D

I too am a a bit iffy about chldren on board since I work in a school and want to get away from the little darlings.

Don't know if we've been lucky but the ships we have been on have never been inundated with them even though all have been in the Summer holidays

On the Destiny Carribean holiday there were some children on board but you never noticed them.I got the impression that Thompsons do not really cater for the children although they do have children's clubs.I assume if you had a child there are bigger ships catering more for the family market.e.g Ventura?

Look forward to it. Enjoy it. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I have met who have not enjoyed thier cruise and would not go again.

Remember I am the world's fussiest holidaymaker and it takes a lot to impress me.And here I am going on my 6th cruise. :):):):)

Ever tried Ocean Village?

Much the same as Thomsons but with bigger ships, with bigger cabins, tea & coffee making facilities in the room as well as 3 different kinds of biscuits and a fridge. Bar service is much quicker, though no waiter service unless you pay extra.

You get to put on your Tux and gown with Thomsons and meet the captain and the trips are cheaper. The entertainments much better.

Much the same kind of clientelle really, same age groups and mix, but on Thomsons the all inclusive packages attract the big drinkers from the older age ranges and there are more people trying to walk in a straight line at the buffet at midnight.

I have to disagree here. After several years of cruising always in peak season (summer) I have never witnessed anyone worse the wear for drink on a Thomson cruise and there are people from all walks of life. However on a Princess cruise I was on the behaviour of cruisers was not good- drink related. I dont think you can generalise like this, doesnt give the full picture

We went on our very first cruise this Easter on the Celebration. It was a great experience. Although it was the Easter school holidays and there were many children on board there was enough for everyone to do (or not do). I didn't come across any bad or unruly behaviour. Everyone we met was very friendly.

The staff on the boat were fantastic - excellent service from all of them.

It is really what you make of it. Go to enjoy yourself and you certainly will.

I have to disagree here. After several years of cruising always in peak season (summer) I have never witnessed anyone worse the wear for drink on a Thomson cruise and there are people from all walks of life. However on a Princess cruise I was on the behaviour of cruisers was not good- drink related. I dont think you can generalise like this, doesnt give the full picture

I think you misunderstand my post, I have never seen anyone drunk AND acting inappropriately on a Thomson cruise. Everyone whom I have seen intoxicated on a Thomson ship (and I have been on 4) behaves quite correctly. My point was that there are far more "merry drinkers" on Thomson, than on OV. At the midnight buffets on Thomson there are lots more swayers, staggerers and haverers than I have found on any other cruise line, not in a bad or inappropriate way but simply more in number. Thomsons AI policy encourages this.

I speak from a non drinkers point of view and you certainly notice more "merry" people when you are sober than when tipsy. Again, not a problem as everyone I have encountered has behaved impecably and shouldn't put anyone off cruising with Thomson as the customers are the best mix of class and culture of all the ships, very welcoming and tollerant of all people, unlike certain cruise liners I could mention.

We will be on a fifth Thomson's cruise this year - we love it. I think Thomson's have the balance right: not too stuffy and not too chavvy. Obviously there will be lots of kids on board if you travel during July and August - including my own! That said, I've never had a problem with kids on board. Experience tells me that if you show respect towards young people, you generally get it in return.

Oh, and I went to Butlins every year with my parents in the 1970s - rest assured Thomson's cruises are nothing like that!

We went on our very first cruise this Easter on the Celebration. It was a great experience. Although it was the Easter school holidays and there were many children on board there was enough for everyone to do (or not do). I didn't come across any bad or unruly behaviour. Everyone we met was very friendly.

The staff on the boat were fantastic - excellent service from all of them.

It is really what you make of it. Go to enjoy yourself and you certainly will.

Never let a crew member hear you use that word to describe their ship

Archived