Question re Stockholm itinerary - order of sites and travel distances

My parents and daughter will be traveling with me on a Baltic cruise in late July. We'll be in Stockholm on 7/30/09 (Thursday) from 8:00 - 5:00.

We will be taking the bus to the Vasa Museum first thing in the morning, to be at the museum at around opening time. Afterwards, we will be taking the ferry over to Gamla Stan. I had planned on visiting the Royal Palace to see the changing of the guard and the various exhibits, and then walking around Gamla Stan before taking the bus back to the ship (docked at Frihamnen).

My dad has just indicated that he'd like to visit City Hall also. Apparently the only way to see inside City Hall is to take a tour, so that is what we'd need to do.

I am not sure if it would be better to go to City Hall before the Royal Palace, or afterwards. I am not sure how long the City Hall tour is, and the changing of the guard is at 12:15, so that is a consideration.

Also, I have read that it is not a far walk across a bridge from Gamla Stan to City Hall. Exactly how far is "not far" in terms of distance and/or time? My mother has had knee replacement surgeries and while she can walk (but slowly), it would be helpful to know the approximate distance in deciding whether there's a better transport option for her.

Thanks for any advice you are able to provide.

Also check the times of the tours. The tours of City hall in English are only scheduled at certain times. We visited but did not take the tour because we would have had to wait for more than an hour for the next English tour. City Hall is in use as a government building so the tours are quite regulated. However, we enjoyed city out back watching the boats go by before we walked back to Gamla stan.

The walk to City Hall seemed longer than 2/3 of a mile - but I'll believe the other poster - we walked all over but did not walk directly from the Palace to City Hall.

The changing of the guard takes about 1 hour - you need at least 15 minutes pre-show to get a decent place to watch (maybe more) and then the changing of the guard takes at least 45 minutes. I thought the changing of the guard was pretty amazing - horses, a band, and lots of soldiers.

forgot to mention - the Hop-on bus stopped right in front of City Hall, as did a city bus.

With your mom's knee you might want to seriously consider some kind of transportation. The sites in Stockholm are somewhat spread out and she will have to walk on cobble stones in Gamla Stan because there are many places in there you cannot take a car.

Also the Hop-on bus came right to our ship at the pier. (we didn't use the hop on bus, but it looked like a good option for those who don't want to walk too far.)

Thanks for the help. I think the distance would be too far to walk for my mother, especially as she will be doing some walking at each site also.

I've done a bit of research and found that bus #3 has a stop close to where we get off from the ferry, and stops right in front of City Hall.

However, I doubt if we went to City Hall first we could make the changing of the guard.

Maybe if we toured the Royal Palace after the Vasa, then catch the changing of the guard and then City Hall after?

I think I'll have to play around some more with the bus route planner to see what works best.

There is another thread where someone mentioned HOHO boat. But it doesn't start operating until 10 am. So, I was thinking would it make sense to take a cab from the dock to Vasa and by the time we are done there, the HOHO boats will start going, so it can be used to proceed to other sights and then return back to the ship. Any other ideas are appreciated. Helen from LA

We used a HoHo boat from the ship to Gamla Stan and then on the return from the Vasa to the ship. Because our ship was in port early - the HoHo boats started early. Of course there is no quarantee that it will start early for you (we were one of the first big ships in port for the season) but I imagine that they will some to the ships when they arrive.

We loved it - it cost $100 Krone or $18 US and they took either currency (although at the teime $100 Krone was only about $13 US - so it would be cheaper to exchange at least some money.)

Where is the best place to watch the changing of the guards?

There are two buildings west of the Palace creating a semi circle. The northern one is the guards house, the southern one the ticket office/gift shop. The place outside the gift shop seems to be the most popular place for the tourists to watch the changing of the guards but I cannot say if its the best one.

Where is the best place to watch the changing of the guards?

Best?? is up front!! :p

Obviously where in the space is a matter of personal preference. As Ultima Thule says the changing of the guard takes place in a somewhat semi-circle or U shaped central plaza. The palace forms the bottom of the U and if you face outward toward the place where the guards enter - the gift shop side is on the left and the guard building is on the right. You cannot stand in front of the guard building (not permitted because guards come out of there) - and - you cannot block the entrance of the guard coming into the plaza (the open space directly across from the palace).

The show starts with some soldiers coming out of the guard house, then a soldier from there standing near the "entrance" makes an announcement describing some of the things that will happen. (which we didn't really follow) Then guards enter on horseback from the "entrance." The horses trot all around the plaza-semi-circle so all spots along the roped off area get to see the event. Then the new style guards and the "old' style guards face off against each other - with the foot soldiers in front of the guard house and the calvary in front of the gift shop side. They do some manuevers with rifles - and then they lead the horses out in line in the space between the gift shop building and the palace.

We watched from the gift shop side about 1/2 way between the palace and the "entrance." We had a great view of everything. There were also people lined up against the palace that seemed to have a good view. There are also places near the "entrance" on either side of the semi-circle - but becareful of where you are there- because if you end up blocking the wide entrance path - they will make you move. We saw some people who thought they had a good spot - get pushed to the back. However, you are safe - if you are standing behind the ropes. We also saw a few people over on the guard building side next to the palace - who looked like they had great views until the horse-band parked in front of them. :D Then - they probably saw lots of the backs of horses!

What time is the changing of the guard please?

12.15 except for Sundays when it is 13.15 (1.15 pm)

Full list in Swedish (new guard/old guard/musik/guard starts from):

http://www.mil.se/upload/dokumentfiler/Hogvakten/hogvaktens_veckoprogram%20v923-944.pdf

You can see the gift shop building in the background on this picture:

http://www.mil.se/en/Organisation/The-Royal-Guards/

12.15 except for Sundays when it is 13.15 (1.15 pm)

You can see the gift shop building in the background on this picture:

http://www.mil.se/en/Organisation/The-Royal-Guards/

I checked out this site and it says The Changing of the Guard only takes place on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday in September and October. Is this correct? We're on the last Emerald Princess cruise of the season and it's in Stockholm on Tuesday 9/15. I'd hate to miss this.

Thanks,

'Changing the Guard takes place every day of the year. However the march through the city of Stockholm with military band is usually only during the summer months from May to August'

We will be in Stockhlm in August. Where or when is this march thru the city???

Archived