packing for 1y/o tips?

deanna1178

We aren't leaving for another month but I keep thinking of things so I figure I might as well get my list started :-)

Do ya'll have any suggestions for items that made your stay more convenient? I keep trying to think of things to give us more room on the floor and also keep little hands out :-)

And also how did you pack formula, diapers and other necessities? Could we just put all of that in a box and check it?

So far I have:

- formula

- diapers

- wipes

- bottles

- bottle drying rack

- sippy cups

- small dish detergent bottle

- ziploc bags for dirty diapers

- small can of lysol

- clorox wipes

- pnp sheets (2)

- infant tylenol, motrion

- safety kit with necessities

- toiletries

- white noise machine

- monitor (will it work on the ship or will there be too much interference?

this isn't a complete list and I am hoping ya'll some things to share that you have found helped you out on your travels :-D

We are cruising on NCL Dawn for a week to Bermuda out of NYC in July.

We always pack some small bottles of pedialyte, just in case! Little ones can get dehydrated really quickly if they are sick, and if you are at sea you may not be able to pick any of this up in a hurry. I've never needed to use it, but I always like to bring it!

Favorite snacks are always handy for port days. We find that there is an abundance of food onboard, but no real "snack" items. We always take a supply of goldfish and cheerios and little baggies to pack them in when we head off the ship.

New toys/books that can be pulled out as a distraction if the little one gets cranky at dinner! For ours, we find stickers, markers, and playdough are a must! We also would never travel without bunny - our little one's favorite stuffed toy that goes everywhere!

Diaper cream and suncream! Shampoo and soap if you use the baby kind!

Lots of wine for mom and dad.....

Have a great time!

I'm new to cruising but for hotel stays, I used to have a "baby proofing kit" with power strip to keep MY cords up and out of reach, twist ties and rubber bands to keep other power and drapery cords up and out of reach, outlet plugs, cabinet locks, and a little foam thing for the bathroom door, little fingers get slammed in those heavy metal doors all the time. :(

If you get the newspaper, you can save those bags for diapers, free and take up less space than ziplocs, just tie a knot in the top too seal the odors in.

Disposable changing pad covers and disposable bibs. These items saved the day when my DD came down with sudden stomach flu! She is now 4 and I still don't travel without them.

How about some of those plastic stick on things for the table? Even clean tables aren't clean enough on the sides where babies like to chew on them...

Wipes wipes and more wipes. I use baby wipes and anitbacterial wipes for cleaning my child, cleaning up after my child, cleaning high chairs and tables, etc. (I sent a package of baby wipes with my teenager to camp today, lol!)

Toys, start collecting small, lightweight books and toys that are easy to clean.

I'm glad my "baby" is 4, we travel much lighter these days!

Take both long and short PJs. The room can get quite chilly at night.

I agree about the Pedialyte. Last time I checked, you could buy it in pre-measured powder packages to mix with water--much more convenient than taking along a bottle of Pediatlyte.

Have a great cruise!

:confused:

We aren't leaving for another month but I keep thinking of things so I figure I might as well get my list started :-)

Do ya'll have any suggestions for items that made your stay more convenient? I keep trying to think of things to give us more room on the floor and also keep little hands out :-)

And also how did you pack formula, diapers and other necessities? Could we just put all of that in a box and check it?

So far I have:

- formula

- diapers

- wipes

- bottles

- bottle drying rack

- sippy cups

- small dish detergent bottle

- ziploc bags for dirty diapers

- small can of lysol

- clorox wipes

- pnp sheets (2)

- infant tylenol, motrion

- safety kit with necessities

- toiletries

- white noise machine

- monitor (will it work on the ship or will there be too much interference?

this isn't a complete list and I am hoping ya'll some things to share that you have found helped you out on your travels :-D

We are cruising on NCL Dawn for a week to Bermuda out of NYC in July.

what is white noise machine?second time I see it on web:confused:

A white noise machine is a little electronic device that makes a static-type noise. Some also make various other soothing noises. It is used to drown out background noise for sleeping or privacy.

thats it :-D there are all types but we have this one:

http://www.sleepwellbaby.com/ObusForme-Sound-Therapy-Relaxation-System-p/cn-sts-03.htm

ds sleeps with a fan on at home for white noise (his room is at front of our house by the street and it can get noisy). So we have the white noise machine for travel and I know sometimes late at night, the ship hallways can get a little loud :-) it helps me sleep as well!!

Regarding the powdered pedylite, I used to get some made by Gerber but it has since been discontinued. I thought I'd pass that on before you went searching for it.

Also remember that you are only allowed to take sealed snacks off the ship, no open food products. So look for snack size packages, those 100 calorie packs work if you can find something your child likes. Ziplocs full of snacks are fine for around the ship but not good enough for ports, if they find your open snacks they will confiscate them and possibly even fine you.

ETA: I'm looking for sealed raisins, if anyone knows of any brands with small sealed boxes or pouches of some kind. We normally get the little boxes but the individual boxes aren't sealed. Raisins are the best snack!

I just got back from Alaska with my 2 DDs, one is 13 months. I packed a lot of things that I really didn't need to take.

Don't pack a drying rack, just use a new clean towel from the ship and have it next to the sink. Yes wipes and diapers, we stop by the store before boarding and we had 4 big bottles of water, snacks like goldfish and ritz crackers.I didn't bring any detergent, I used the body wash that they had on the ship. I took 3 bottles and 2 cups only. Yes bring plastic bags and don't bring sheets for the play pen, you can use one from the ship and if the have twin size sheets only fold the twin size, works very well. Didn't have safety kit either, the only plug in the room is in top of the vanity table and she wasn't able to reach that. I don't have a noise machine, my baby sleeps with noise no problem. My child started drinking milk when she turned one so I just asked the lido deck for milk all the time and around 9 pm. I asked for the last carton of it and have it in ice all night on my room to feed her at 7:30 am. it was just fine.

Clothes: I packed like 4 pijamas and use only 2 because I washed some clothes one day and didn't really need more than that. I took like 8 or 9 outfits and it wasn't necesary and just so you know my child was very clean all the time, you do need bibs, many bibs. Bring one blanket because the blankets are to big for the play pen, I folded one but is better with your small one I think. I didn't have a monitor so I can't tell you if it does work or not.

I took toys and she was playing with simple things like the water bottles, spoons, her books.

I'm very practical and not every body likes to simplify, I do :)

I hope this help and have a great trip with your family!!

I just got back from Alaska with my 2 DDs, one is 13 months. I packed a lot of things that I really didn't need to take.

Don't pack a drying rack, just use a new clean towel from the ship and have it next to the sink. Yes wipes and diapers, we stop by the store before boarding and we had 4 big bottles of water, snacks like goldfish and ritz crackers.I didn't bring any detergent, I used the body wash that they had on the ship. I took 3 bottles and 2 cups only. Yes bring plastic bags and don't bring sheets for the play pen, you can use one from the ship and if the have twin size sheets only fold the twin size, works very well. Didn't have safety kit either, the only plug in the room is in top of the vanity table and she wasn't able to reach that. I don't have a noise machine, my baby sleeps with noise no problem. My child started drinking milk when she turned one so I just asked the lido deck for milk all the time and around 9 pm. I asked for the last carton of it and have it in ice all night on my room to feed her at 7:30 am. it was just fine.

Clothes: I packed like 4 pijamas and use only 2 because I washed some clothes one day and didn't really need more than that. I took like 8 or 9 outfits and it wasn't necesary and just so you know my child was very clean all the time, you do need bibs, many bibs. Bring one blanket because the blankets are to big for the play pen, I folded one but is better with your small one I think. I didn't have a monitor so I can't tell you if it does work or not.

I took toys and she was playing with simple things like the water bottles, spoons, her books.

I'm very practical and not every body likes to simplify, I do :)

I hope this help and have a great trip with your family!!

I don't know if I could handle...I am notorious for overpacking, lol!!!

thank you for the suggestions :-D

Regarding the powdered pedylite, I used to get some made by Gerber but it has since been discontinued. I thought I'd pass that on before you went searching for it.

Also remember that you are only allowed to take sealed snacks off the ship, no open food products. So look for snack size packages, those 100 calorie packs work if you can find something your child likes. Ziplocs full of snacks are fine for around the ship but not good enough for ports, if they find your open snacks they will confiscate them and possibly even fine you.

ETA: I'm looking for sealed raisins, if anyone knows of any brands with small sealed boxes or pouches of some kind. We normally get the little boxes but the individual boxes aren't sealed. Raisins are the best snack!

=0 I didn't even think of that but you are absolutely right!! thanks!!

doesn't sunmaid make the little snack boxes of raisins?

this my go to site for travel size stuff:

http://www.minimus.biz/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=25

I agree on NOT packing the bottle drying rack. You can just wash and leave on the vanity on a towel.

I also agree on the warmer type of pj's too, and also warmer clothes for the evening. Our little guy would usually wear jeans/pants and a shirt with a hoody or sweater in the evenings to dinner.

Instead of ziplock bags, you can buy scented diaper bags at Wal-mart. I think you get around 50 bags for $2. They work really well.

We reserved a pnp but our son ended up sleeping with us instead.

I really doubt you will need the noise machine. The rocking of the ship and the whole excitment of the trip will knock your LO out at night. We brought a monitor and it did work and we used it when we were sitting on our balcony while he was snoozing.

Bring a couple of bottles of sunscreen in case one breaks or leaks. Extra hats are a must as well.

We took our DS to the Caribbean at 6 months and a Mexican Riviera cruise at 16 months. Both times I over packed. The "must have" items were:

his blankie

Soothers

bottles

extra nipples

extra wipes

diapers

bags for soiled diapers

snacks - cheese and cracker packages and goldfish crackers

sunscreen

hats

Tylenol

polysporin

comfy stroller

We didn't bring much for toys - I think just a couple of books as he just people watched and enjoyed looking and running the halls.

Have a great trip!!!!:D

The best tip that someone else on this board posted was to pack outfits for each day in ziplocks. That way, it's easy to find, takes up less room in the suitcase and you can use the ziplocks for dirty diapers after you use the outfit of the day.

Whoever thought of this was brilliant!! I use it for all trips and cruises. It makes life so much easier.

The best tip that someone else on this board posted was to pack outfits for each day in ziplocks. That way, it's easy to find, takes up less room in the suitcase and you can use the ziplocks for dirty diapers after you use the outfit of the day.

Whoever thought of this was brilliant!! I use it for all trips and cruises. It makes life so much easier.

I agree! I got that tip off here and now pack the outfits in ziplocks. It works great - you just grab a bag and you're good to go. Takes up less space and you're never short of a baggie when you need one.

Archived