Traveling pharmacy

mistyinca

I thought I'd share about my traveling pharmacy. I have read so many times on here and other boards about not going to the infirmary. I just read a thread elsewhere where they said they were quarantined just for buying immodium in the gift shop. I don't know how true it is, but I don't like to take chances.

So I have a little bag, and in it, I keep a full traveling medicine cabinet. I have:

Pepto bismol in tablet form (lots of liquid meds are in tablet form and they take up way less room!)

Immodium

Tums or Rolaids

Benedryl capsules

Claritin tablets

Cough "syrup" in tablet form: robitussin dm softgels and mucinex tablets.

Pepcid or zantac or any of the longer acting acid reducers (my best friend on a cruise!)

Tylenol

non-drowsey dramamine

ginger capsules

bandaids and neosporin

hydrocortisone cream

This all fits in a 7" cosmetic bag. Most of it, I haven't needed, so it has gone on 2--soon to be 3--cruises so far, but it is good to have!

I always take the same meds, but i have added an ace bandage to my bag since our Freedom cruise and my oldest fell down the stairs and his ankle swelled up big time.

OK, I'm a little nuts, but my pharmacy includes:

phenergan (antiemetic)

zofran (really AWESOME antiemetic)

meclizine

ativan (in case ship is sinking or I am losing my mind)

vicodin (in case of injury)

ambien (in case of noisy cabin)

adult and child benadryl (in case of allergic reaction)

adult and child motrin

adult and child tylenol

tylenol suppositories (in case child is vomiting and has fever)

immodium

colace (in case I have to take vicodin)

super glue (in case of cuts that keep reopening)

I know there is more in the bag, but DH is sleeping right now and I don't want to wake him by rummaging through the closet.

I can verify that all these are good to have with you. Middle son fell and sprained his ankle on the Adventure. pain meds came in handy. Daughter and I both got norovirus on the Rhapsody.. so other meds were definitly needed.

Good ideas all. If I could make one suggestion to those of you who always pack an ace bandage. Go to an equine store or store that sells horse products and buy some vet wrap. It's stretchable like an ace bandage, but the nice thing is that it's self-adhesive. No clips or tape needed to hold it in place. And it comes in multiple colors. A color for every occasion! The best part is that it's cheaper than an ace bandage.

:cool:I always travel with all of this stuff! My hubby used to give me a hard time about having so much "stuff" until he needed it on a trip.....that was the last time he said anything about my "stuff"!!

LOL...does your hubby use the same word for your "stuff" as mine does for mine!:p

I only needed it once, but I was sure glad I had it -- temporary dental filling material! It's just a tiny vial and they sell it OTC in drugstores. I forget the trade name. If you have capped teeth and/or deep fillings it can come in very handy. We were once on a camping trip and one of the children in our group fell and broke a tooth. He would have been in pain all night until they could get to a dentist without that stuff. I'll never forget the stunned look on his mom's face when I pulled it out of my bag!

Wow! Are you my twin? LOL! That looks just like my "traveling pharmacy". EXCEPT, I also take along a Z Pack (antibiotics), a few left over prescription pain pills (in case of injury), alcohol swabs for cleaning wounds, and like the above poster, a little tooth filling kit & gum numbing liquid. I also pack extra doses of our regular prescription meds, in case our trip is extended for any reason. So far, we have never needed anything other than the digestive system related meds. Of course, I also take motion sickness remedies, which I do use! I would much rather keep these items packed "just in case", than to be on a cruise and wish I had them. :)

Good ideas all. If I could make one suggestion to those of you who always pack an ace bandage. Go to an equine store or store that sells horse products and buy some vet wrap. It's stretchable like an ace bandage, but the nice thing is that it's self-adhesive. No clips or tape needed to hold it in place. And it comes in multiple colors. A color for every occasion! The best part is that it's cheaper than an ace bandage.

good idea!!!

Rather than a Z-pak, I take along Cipro 500mg.. Gives better coverage and I am seeingalot of resistance to Z-paks... Talk with your doctor about heading out of the country and see if he will help you set up an emergency kit...Antibiotic, phenergan etc......

OK, I'm a little nuts, but my pharmacy includes:

phenergan (antiemetic)

zofran (really AWESOME antiemetic)

meclizine

ativan (in case ship is sinking or I am losing my mind)

vicodin (in case of injury)

ambien (in case of noisy cabin)

adult and child benadryl (in case of allergic reaction)

adult and child motrin

adult and child tylenol

tylenol suppositories (in case child is vomiting and has fever)

immodium

colace (in case I have to take vicodin)

super glue (in case of cuts that keep reopening)

Good grief. My husband is a pharmacist, and I don't think he'd consider carrying this much. We do take some neosporin, bandages, rx meds, etc.

We've luckily been very healthy on all our trips--the one time I needed an antibiotic, and a cough syrup, he didn't bring any, so I think he always does now.

We do take something for pain along, just in case. Stronger than aspirin. :D

Elena

OK Cruise Critic Pharmacists..I really need something to help with PCD...It is bad...i only cried once today though

Ask your doctor for a morphine patch for your forehead. Works pretty well and my PCD has been running high lately. :D

Ms B

How do you get a Z pack to take along with you? I'm not sure I could get my doc to write the RX for that. Wish I could!

a script from a Dr, is a no can do, any more..for future use..So....whilst in Mexm ports. I buy them for about 2/$20..and they will go to Spain with me next week...if anyone is going b4 u..say pleeeese....wouldnt leave home w/o 'em!

Archived