Anyone out there regret doing a glacier landing tour?

jmarks

Just a bit curious; as the glacier landing is still a question mark for me. So far we're planning a hike to Laughton Glacier in Skagway, Fishing in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau, so we're almost through planning excursions. The only piece missing is an "air" experience. Needless to say, it's pricey, but we'd have time to do it in Juneau. To those who have done it, was it worth it?

I did it in Juneau 7 years ago and thought it was great. The weather was 70F and it was clear. I don't regret it for a minute, but after seeing the cost of the tour go up 100-150% , I can't say it would be worth it now.

We did a flight with glacier landing at Talkeetna on our recent cruisetour. It was worth every penny we spent, but we had Mt. McKinley as a backdrop. What could be more awesome? Not sure what it would be like in Juneau.

jettaleea

Our only regret is that we didn't get to do it! We booked with Coastal two months prior for a 2:15pm tour. After killing two hours we were notified by "some dudes" by the Coastal van that the tour was canceled due to high winds up on the glacier. It's completely understandable that weather is out of their control but it would have been nice to get an advance notice of the cancellation on my cellphone so we could have booked something else. :rolleyes:

Our only regret is that we didn't get to do it! We booked with Coastal two months prior for a 2:15pm tour. After killing two hours we were notified by "some dudes" by the Coastal van that the tour was canceled due to high winds up on the glacier. It's completely understandable that weather is out of their control but it would have been nice to get an advance notice of the cancellation on my cellphone so we could have booked something else. :rolleyes:

Sorry this is how it works. Weather changes rapidly and these companies, do NOT cancel trips hours ahead, when the possibility is that they will be able to fly. Cancelations can and do happen last minute.

You would have been better off with better scheduling- booking the first or last flightseeing for your day. Then you would have had a nice block of time for other touring.

For me, I am always on flights, and very worth it to me. Last week, did both Misty and Herbert Glacier.

Regrets- never. You may want to find out more about Loughten however?? Murray can definately give you accurate details, but I recall, you have no glacier access?? , since it is so far receeded?? And the hike is rocks/silt/dirt???

Thanks, BQ, and good advice on scheduling either the first or last flight. Right now Coastal and Temsco are wide open on the day we'll be in Juneau, so I could certainly do that. Any odds on which time would likely have the best weather?

We're looking at the Laughton hike offered by Packer expeditions in Skagway. Just thought it would be a nice challenge for us as a family to do this together.

The trip would be more about the hike and scenery on the way; not so much about the glacier. I didn't know about the lack of access, though. I'll ask them about it.

I've had virtually no one say they regretted doing it, so I'm inclined to go for it. The question is really more about whether people thought the experience was worth the money, and several said; "worth every penny", so those are the words I like to hear.

We did a helicopter tour with glacier landing in Denali a couple of weeks ago. It was the ultimate highlight of our 14 days in Alaska.

There's no way to experience the true magnitude and awesomeness of Alaska mountains and glaciers than from the air. Then to land on a glacier and walk on it, hear it, touch it.....what a rush.

Attached are some photos I shot of our tour/landing.

BTW, we took advantage of a well-known discount coupon book and received a two for one ticket for our flight......a savings of $435.00!

IMG_0195_2.jpg.bb715c0e84863103fba937a37e34730e.jpg

IMG_0235_3.jpg.7eeefa8e206710b7bf9f16aeaa1e5c58.jpg

IMG_0213_2.jpg.7cc5ece6572f9715df94f059c5ed4b68.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg.ebf42aab1b35ddaf368178c1c9d30910.jpg

Funny you should ask. I originally booked a helicopter tour a month or so earlier and when reading Cruise Critic discovered that most flights originate out of Talkeetna.....a good three or four hour drive from Denali.

I immediately contacted the chopper outfit to find out where they fly out of and found, much to my chagrin, that it's out of Talkeetna. So I quickly cancelled that flight and went online and found an outfit in Denali.....a two minute walk from the McKinley Chalet Resort where we were staying.

My point: ask every question you can think of. If not for Cruise Critic, I might have found out the night before our flight that we had to travel 8 hours R/T to take our flight, which would have been nearly impossible with a departure time of 9:30 a.m.

Too bad the photos can't go larger due to size restrictions. They are quite impressive on my 30" Apple Cinema Display.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you choose to take a helitour....or fixed wing tour.

In 2006 we booked a Glacier Trek with Northstar ( the long one) and yup --- we too, thought maybe we were spending too much money on one excursion. Afterward, we both agreed it was worth every penny! In fact, it was so worth it that we are getting married on a glacier in Juneau with Coastal this time and we aren't worried a bit about what it's going to cost us! There are many who will tell you that once is worth it and once is enough. For us, once was not enough and we'll be doing it again in less than a month! Best of luck to you with your decision.

K.

I did a helicopter landing and walk-about on Meade Glacier in Skagway on my Alaska cruise 2 weeks ago. It was soooooo awesome! I remember when I got out of the helicopter and stepped onto the glacier I said "Oh my God!!" several times as I was turning around and taking in enormousness of it all. The guide that met us loved that I was so impressed with "his office," as he called it. I had no idea I'd be as blown away with the experience as I was. It's simply incredible!

If you're wavering on whether to do this type of tour (and it won't break your budget :)), my vote is to do it.

Diane

Please forgive me but I am going to hijack this post for hopefully a quick answer. We booked independently on Temsco for (Diamond Princess cruise July) glacier trip in Juneau they said we will get picked up at Tram @ 12:00 - Tour to leave at 12:45 - I'm really worried as our ship sails at 4:00 in this do-able in this timeframe (they said we should be back around 2:30). Thanks

PopPop3 - Which company did you book the helicopter tour out of Denali? Thanks...

Used ERA Helicopters. Just a hop and a skip from the McKinley

Chalet Resort where we stayed.

Our pilot was a young (30ish) lady......very nice and outgoing. We stayed on the glacier for about 30 minutes, and in the air going and coming for around 50 or 60 minutes.

It was the best money we spent on our vacation, other than our cruise portion.

If you book a tour, you won't regret it.

Please forgive me but I am going to hijack this post for hopefully a quick answer. We booked independently on Temsco for (Diamond Princess cruise July) glacier trip in Juneau they said we will get picked up at Tram @ 12:00 - Tour to leave at 12:45 - I'm really worried as our ship sails at 4:00 in this do-able in this timeframe (they said we should be back around 2:30). Thanks

Did you disclose this port time when you booked, and is this schedule what TEMSCO recommends??

Getting back at 2:30pm is no problem, however with a 4pm departure.

Thanks, BQ, and good advice on scheduling either the first or last flight. Right now Coastal and Temsco are wide open on the day we'll be in Juneau, so I could certainly do that. Any odds on which time would likely have the best weather?

We're looking at the Laughton hike offered by Packer expeditions in Skagway. Just thought it would be a nice challenge for us as a family to do this together.

The trip would be more about the hike and scenery on the way; not so much about the glacier. I didn't know about the lack of access, though. I'll ask them about it.

QUOTE]

No way to predict the weather. Book where the timeframe fits your overall touring best.

As only a suggestion, IF you are only looking for a "group" scenic hike, you could also consider the Dewey Lakes?? Extremely beautiful at the top with the views. Well marked trail, accessable from downtown Skagway, at Spring between 3rd and 4th. Best of all - FREE. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

Used ERA Helicopters. Just a hop and a skip from the McKinley

Chalet Resort where we stayed.

Our pilot was a young (30ish) lady......very nice and outgoing. We stayed on the glacier for about 30 minutes, and in the air going and coming for around 50 or 60 minutes.

It was the best money we spent on our vacation, other than our cruise portion.

If you book a tour, you won't regret it.

Thank you PopPop3. I've been looking at their website. Now it's a matter of $$ (as the rest of the trip is hitting the budget). :)

BQ, how long of a hike is it from downtown Skagway to Dewey Lakes, it sounds like something DH and I would like to do, but have to figure out if we have enough time.

I spend a couple hours on the Lower Dewey Lake loop. Could be shorter.

Thank you PopPop3. I've been looking at their website. Now it's a matter of $$ (as the rest of the trip is hitting the budget). :)

I agree with the budget part. PopPop3 - what coupon did you get to use for this? I leave in July and would like to try to find the same coupons.

I agree with the budget part. PopPop3 - what coupon did you get to use for this? I leave in July and would like to try to find the same coupons.

It was a coupon from the Great Alaskan TourSaver book, 2009 edition: ERA Helicopters, Denali Helicopter Flightseeing Tour with Glacier Landing, page 104 in the book.

Hope this helps, and saves you some $$$.

Regards.

To manage with the money issue, I would try to take the best flying tour I could get and let some of the lessor ones go. That might leave you with a big hole if the weather is bad for your flying, but if it all works out according to plan, you would have the one BIG experience to remember.

Did you disclose this port time when you booked, and is this schedule what TEMSCO recommends??

Getting back at 2:30pm is no problem, however with a 4pm departure.

Thanks for the response Budget Queen - Temsco didn't seem too concerned about 4:00 departure (but then again they aren't the ones sailing:eek:). I was just a little nervous - thanks again:)

Archived