Anyone out there regret doing a glacier landing tour?

jmarks

Thanks for the response Budget Queen - Temsco didn't seem too concerned about 4:00 departure (but then again they aren't the ones sailing:eek:). I was just a little nervous - thanks again:)

That's why cruiseships have helipads!!

OP- We took Coastal and our only regret was not doing a *longer* flight! It was one of the highlights of our trip, and I agree with the post that said to cut back elsewhere if you can't fit everything in your budget. We had also booked a Denali flightseeing flight, but it was weather cancelled twice.

Sorry this is how it works. Weather changes rapidly and these companies, do NOT cancel trips hours ahead, when the possibility is that they will be able to fly. Cancelations can and do happen last minute.

You would have been better off with better scheduling- booking the first or last flightseeing for your day. Then you would have had a nice block of time for other touring.

Hmmm...I had a choice between a 10:15am flight at the 2:15pm flight...our ship is there 9am thru 7pm...I was afraid to book the 10:15am as I thought I could miss it if it was slow going getting off our ship...2500 people all trying to get off at same time..if I am at the back of the line it could take an hour or more..right??

What do you think? I would be sooo upset if you missed it and couldn't get our $$ back either...

Hmmm...I had a choice between a 10:15am flight at the 2:15pm flight...our ship is there 9am thru 7pm...I was afraid to book the 10:15am as I thought I could miss it if it was slow going getting off our ship...2500 people all trying to get off at same time..if I am at the back of the line it could take an hour or more..right??

What do you think? I would be sooo upset if you missed it and couldn't get our $$ back either...

You should have no problem making the 10:15am flight.

You should have no problem making the 10:15am flight.

I changed it to the 10:15am flight. Coastal said they have not had any problems with people making that flight on my itin..Thanks for your feedback. Our ship will be in Juneau until 7pm..so that gives us a nice solid block of time afterwards.

Also was wondering if the weather is bad in am for flight and it seems to clear up later if they will try to put us on a later flight...will see I guess!

Thinking of going over to Mendenhall glacier afterwards for a while..do you know if Coastal will drop us there?

Though wondering if maybe we should go back to town for lunch first.

Also was wondering if the weather is bad in am for flight and it seems to clear up later if they will try to put us on a later flight...will see I guess!

I would think if they had room on a later flight, they would be more than happy to accommodate you. The key will be if they have room. When my sisters went on their glacier landing flight, the trips that included the dogsledding were cancelled. They were offering those people a regular glacier landing flight in its place.

Thinking of going over to Mendenhall glacier afterwards for a while..do you know if Coastal will drop us there?

Though wondering if maybe we should go back to town for lunch first.

Contact them directly and inquire.

We did the helicopter ride to Mendenhall glacier several yrs ago. We had our daughter with us. Our helicopter mates , another couple with their daughter. When we finished the excursion we all looked at each other and said that was the best money we ever spent. It was awesome walking around the glacier and being in the midst of nature, beauty and "God's creation".

We should not count life by the moments we breathe, but by the moments that take our breath away. This is what this excursion did for us.

We went on the helicopter/dog sled tour with Coastal last week. Well worth it. This was my daughter's favorite excursion. The Coastal folks were all great! Orca made all the arrangements as we had done a whale watching tour with them first. Orca then took 6 of us to Coastal and 3 others in our group to Mendenhall Glacier.

IMG_10021.jpg.f8d93668d72b8c02e53670325007025d.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg.d1b279157b05424a459b32f3d71c7edb.jpg

Just a bit curious; as the glacier landing is still a question mark for me. So far we're planning a hike to Laughton Glacier in Skagway, Fishing in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau, so we're almost through planning excursions. The only piece missing is an "air" experience. Needless to say, it's pricey, but we'd have time to do it in Juneau. To those who have done it, was it worth it?

We just got back from our cruise. Our two best experiences were NorthStar's helicopter glacier trek in Juneau and Misty Fiords float plane with Michele and Island Wings in Ketchikan.

Would do both again. If we didn't want to do something else in Juneau, we would have done the 3 hour trek rather than the Level 2 --2 hour trek. Time goes by fast. Our trek guide told us that both Level 2 and 3 cover the same area, but the Level 3 gets more into the technical aspects of climbing, etc.

Bruce

We just got back from our cruise. Our two best experiences were NorthStar's helicopter glacier trek in Juneau and Misty Fiords float plane with Michele and Island Wings in Ketchikan.

Would do both again. If we didn't want to do something else in Juneau, we would have done the 3 hour trek rather than the Level 2 --2 hour trek. Time goes by fast. Our trek guide told us that both Level 2 and 3 cover the same area, but the Level 3 gets more into the technical aspects of climbing, etc.

Bruce

I would love to hear more about NorthStar as we are looking to do that next year. How strenuous was it? Were you sore the next day? Glad to hear that you found it worth the money.

Another vote for it being the highlight of the cruise. We did ours in Juneau. We followed advice I got on these boards at the time and scheduled for about 11:00 (can't remember exact time.) We were the first group that was able to fly the more scenic route. The earlier groups had to go a different route because of fog. At the time, we were told to go later so the fog had time to burn off.

I would love to hear more about NorthStar as we are looking to do that next year. How strenuous was it? Were you sore the next day?

We were going to do NorthStar independently, but when we found out that they do trips for the ship, we did it thru the ship. Only did so because ship's arrival time (9AM) and excursion time were the same. This way we didn't have to waste time waiting around for the excursion. Cost $10 more per person, however. We made arrangements with NorthStar prior to leaving home to see if they could drop us off at Mendenhall Visitor Center to save more time. They were nice to do so. So we walked to Nugget Falls also. Took the MGT blue bus back to town-$7pp. We flew up over Herbert Glacier where the do sledding was and then a right turn to land on Mendenhall.

Not strenuous at all, but it helped to be somewhat in shape. The group can only go as fast as the slowest person. Time went by fast. If doing it again, I'd do level 3 for the 3 hour trek. Covers the same distance I was told, but more time to practice what we learned.

Not sore the next day. We are pretty active at home with hiking mountains, and never used any of the elevators on ship.

Bruce

To answer the OP, no regrets. Will I do it every year? Not unless I come into an unexpected fortune. But you should do it once.

Also the high prices of the plane / chopper ride are partly due to high costs and partly due to demand. It does seem like a lot of people want to do aerial tours for the prices to be in $350 range for some.

To answer the OP, no regrets. Will I do it every year? Not unless I come into an unexpected fortune. But you should do it once.

I do flights every trip. My cost savings are on my cheap cabin, which allow me the funds. This year, I again, did both Misty Fiords and a glacier helicopter landing. It never gets old. :)

I do flights every trip. ..... This year, I again, did both Misty Fiords and a glacier helicopter landing. It never gets old. :)

Hi Budget Queen,

The 2 excursions that you mention above were great! We just got back and already planning to do our 2nd Alaska cruise. We have spent way too much time in the Caribbean!

We went with Island Wings and NorthStar (Level 2 went by too fast, but there were other things we wanted to do).

Thank you for all of your comments to help us prepare for this past cruise! You and all other CCers were very, very helpful!

Bruce

There are 2 coupon books, Toursaver and Northern Lights. Google them or do a search of this board for info on where to buy them, cost, etc. Depending on your plans, one will probably be a lot better for you than the other. You definitely need to research both, and learn their conditions and limitations as well as coordinating with tour operators before spending money on either. Also check eBay if you will only use a few of the coupons.

Archived