How soon is too soon?

I know what you mean; we cruise in March 2010 also, and I'm ready to start getting ready already too !! I like to look at the Daily Programs for my trip, so I'll know what I'll be doing, and I can start planning what to wear, and what to pack. Unfortunately, I can't see the Capers for our trip, yet, because the Dream is still under construction. But I'll start hunting down the Dream's Western Caribbean Capers pretty soon!

I know, I have already started making out lists. I am a fanatic when it comes to organizing a trip. I want to make sure I take everything I need, do and see everything I want, and take tons of pictures (friends think we are crazy). I always come home and make a scrapbook of our trip...it is always nice to break them out once in a while and reminice. I told my hubby the other day he needs to dig our luggage out of storage!

Here is something I do...

I get a large laundry basket that I'm not using, and things that I don't need to use until the cruise, that I know I want to take with me, I start putting in the basket. There's no point to start putting it in your suitcase yet because you will need to rearrange everything when you put your clothes in, but this way, you can have a batch of stuff safely in one place so you can pack it when you're ready.

I will actually begin to start packing for my December cruise once I am ready to put the summer clothes, swimsuits away. I will wash and then go ahead and pack those items I wish to have for the cruise as I know they won't be needed then.

I also have a large bag I carry all toiletries in, I just go through that and replace any items that I may have run out on from the last trip and I keep basically travel size items, etc in that bag ready to go. I just update medications, etc make sure nothing has expired and such.

I also have dressy clothes that I don't wear on a daily basis those items will also be packed away if they are something that won't wrinkle.

We booked in Feb for a cruise in November. I started making a list of the things we needed to pack that we didn't have. I keep the list in my purse and when I go grocery shopping, I pick up a couple things each time. I have our large checked bag that we only use when we fly in our bedroom and just put the things in it as we get them. It sure beats waiting until the last minute and having to go buy everything at once. This way it jus adds a few bucks to the grocery bill each time. As a bonus it gets me even more excited for our trip everytime I grocery shop and pick something up. But as a side note I had my hospital bags packed for when I had my kids when I was about 4 months pregnant. :)

Every time I buy any new piece of clothing, I put it in my CRUISE DRAWER so I will have nice new things for the cruise. I think that would qualify as packing. My wife laughs at me for doing this but then again, she packs the night before the cruise and I go BONKERS since I want to pack the car. The good news is that we have not been late for any cruise yet (12 of them), so I guess either method of timing is OK. I also have put up a sign on the Guest Bedroom Door that reads CRUISE CENTRAL. Thats where the drawer is along with all the goodies I will eventually pack. My wife just gives me "The Look" as she passes the CRUISE CENTRAL room. Am I wrong? As a Cruise-a-Holic, there is not a day goes by that I don't think "Is there any thing I should be doing to get ready for the cruise?" .................. Yikes! ................. I got to renew my expiring passport. .............. Got to go!

I know I've already started making lists for our December cruise and I also do what Misty does and start setting things aside. I can always find sunscreen and other warm weather accessories easier in the summer. Plus, once summer is over I'll have to pack (stash away) my swim suit so it doesn't get put into storage with the summer clothes. In my opinion, it's never to early to start accumulating stuff.

Every time I buy any new piece of clothing, I put it in my CRUISE DRAWER so I will have nice new things for the cruise. I think that would qualify as packing. My wife laughs at me for doing this but then again, she packs the night before the cruise and I go BONKERS since I want to pack the car. The good news is that we have not been late for any cruise yet (12 of them), so I guess either method of timing is OK. I also have put up a sign on the Guest Bedroom Door that reads CRUISE CENTRAL. Thats where the drawer is along with all the goodies I will eventually pack. My wife just gives me "The Look" as she passes the CRUISE CENTRAL room. Am I wrong? As a Cruise-a-Holic, there is not a day goes by that I don't think "Is there any thing I should be doing to get ready for the cruise?" .................. Yikes! ................. I got to renew my expiring passport. .............. Got to go!

Loved your post Rich......I see absolutley nothing wrong with being a cruise-a-holic. And I love looking for things that I would like to take.....gets me in that cruisin' mood!

Here is something I do...

I get a large laundry basket that I'm not using, and things that I don't need to use until the cruise, that I know I want to take with me, I start putting in the basket. There's no point to start putting it in your suitcase yet because you will need to rearrange everything when you put your clothes in, but this way, you can have a batch of stuff safely in one place so you can pack it when you're ready.

Misty-- what a great tip....think I will be trying this one!

.....as soon as I get back from my cruise. I start putting all the "cruise only" stuff (power strip, bungee cord, etc.) in my carry on suitcase so I don't misplace any of that stuff. Makes it a lot easier later on.

;)

wasiii

I'm not cruising until Feb and haven't been on a cruise for 9 years (I know - shocking isn't it)! I've been reading lots of posts and have started picking up little things here and there for the trip (found an over the door shoe holder for $1.50 at a "dollar" store). Like one of the other posters, I have a drawer in my dresser and I've been putting everything I buy into it. I figure that way I won't have a big bill for things right before I leave and so will have more money when I actually go!!!:D

We do not pull the luggage out of the closet until the day before we leave.

Absolutely no reason to start any earlier.

Ditto. I tend to get started the night before and finish up the morning we leave. My husband starts about 30 minutes before we are due to leave for the airport. I've never forgotten anything or gotten on the ship and wished I had thought of an item. Works for us.:)

I am soooo anxious for our cruise (which is still months away). How soon is too soon to start packing? :D

Once I started packing about a month ahead of time (first cruise) thought I had everything. When I went to unpack I realized I had forgotten to pack DH underwear.:eek: Poor thing had to wash his only pair by hand every night.:D So now I TRY to wait at least 2 weeks before and double check everything.

I am leaving a week from today- and there are stacks all over this house! Meds on the kitchen counter - beach and pool items in a bag in the floor of my bedroom - clothes ironed and folded in stacks (by person) on my dresser. I'm going to have to pack just to get my house back in order!

Once I started packing about a month ahead of time (first cruise) thought I had everything. When I went to unpack I realized I had forgotten to pack DH underwear.:eek: Poor thing had to wash his only pair by hand every night.:D So now I TRY to wait at least 2 weeks before and double check everything.

That's too funny!:D

I make lists, and lists of my lists, and check stuff off as I'm packing. Not only does it give me more things to do to pass the days, it helps me to be certain I'm thorough.

I have one small roller bag that is always packed with the things I only use on a cruise - the over-the-door shoe bag, highlighter, duct tape, small alarm clock, Bonine (which I check for dates), collapsible duffel bag for souvenirs, clothes steamer, etc. This stays in my closet, and if I think of something I can tuck it in there pretty easily.

The last 4 years we've cruised in December, and I did some packing as I put away my summer clothes.

Archived