Timeshare owners...every trade points for a cruise?

noobcruiser

My cousin recently did this on a cruise on the QM2. The only cabin they were able to get for their RCI timeshare was an inside cabin on the lowest deck. While they liked the cruise, she said she'd probably not use her RCI credits for a cruise again.

We've looked into trading our timeshare through RCI for a cruise and the discount just isn't worth it. Because you are trading a "room" for "room and board" they add in an "all inclusive" fee for the cruise. Ours ended up allowing a discount of about 1/3 the annual cost of our timeshare. The only time I have heard this MIGHT be equitable is when booking more than one cabin. If your timeshare sleeps 8, you are entitled to book cabins for 8 people. However, I have also heard that you can do just as well using a group discount. I think the only time I would consider it is if I was in a "use it or lose it" position with a banked timeshare and I couldn't find another trade I wanted.

With RCI you can book up to 4 cabins at shown price, regardless of how many your ts sleeps.

I ran the numbers extensively some years back and found that it makes the most sense if you book high categories/multiple cabins. But since then, they added a fee for each addt'l cabin.

So, generally speaking, not good value. The vouchers for cruises received for things like paying your maint online and such, pretty worthless. I have not yet seen a real discount with those.

I would instead suggest renting out the ts and using the rental proceeds to book the cruise on your own.

Have you used your RCI points to trade for a cruise and was it worth it?

Alternatively, how about Wyndham Fairshare Plus owners..have you used PlusPartners to arrange for a cruise?

Thanks!

This perk is heavily advertised as an ownership perk, but really of very little monetary value!

I've looked into this trade but it isn't a value trade. The one time I looked to book about 9-11 months out, as others have noted for a basic room you are almost giving away your points. There is a material discount if you are booking the most expensive mini-suites, but again not clear how big the savings are as the prices for these also fall as you get closer to sailing dates.

The reason the value is low is that property to property trades have intrinsic barter value to each timeshare owner and no real cash trade hands and thus no revenue loss/gain for the traders. Time share to cruise ships trade don't have the same equity trade as the cruise ship are losing a revenue slot for a real paying customer and thus need cold hard cash payment compensation. The timeshare company is losing money as they can never recover that cash easily, all it opens up for them is another trade slot or last minute rental income that is why the trade value is so low.

If you plan to buy a timeshare really focus not on the out of network exchange but what the in company exchange offers. If you can't use it in your own network the exchange out is a huge hassle and often value losing proposition unless you own the very very highest desirable location. Also be aware, every salesman says their property is valuable. Test that by checking the rental price of the place comparing holidays ( Christmas, Presidents day, spring break, ) and summer months. That delta gives you a big clue as to true value.

Have you used your RCI points to trade for a cruise and was it worth it?

Alternatively, how about Wyndham Fairshare Plus owners..have you used PlusPartners to arrange for a cruise?

Thanks!

I have not used RCI points but have used weeks deposited with RCI for a couple of cruises. My experience is that you have to do a little comparison shopping to make sure you're getting a good deal. Sometimes the price offered is really not much, if any, better than what you can get through a TA or directly from the cruise line. Also, you have to factor in the exchange fee of $199.

I've also found customer service to be uneven. For example, I've booked with an agent who promises to be my agent throughout and then they don't return my phone calls. But with persistence I've gotten whatever I needed done.

We are Wyndham Fairshare Plus owners but have not used PlusPartners for a cruise although I've investigated a bit. I may get serious one day and call to see what kind of deal I could get, but what I've seen so far looks like it would cost a gazillion points for a week's cruise.

Archived