Mahahual - day at the beach

m00k3y

Hi everyone, was just in Mahahual last Thursday and wanted to give a quick review.

We too a van from the pier as stated many times here, $3 @ going $2 returning. No charge for small children.

When we got out of the taxi, we headed down the beach with the Beach on our Left. About 50 yards down was a hut on the beach the name on the banner is "FARO". We decided to stop there because Elmer was so friendly and helpful. He speaks very good English and everyone there is very friendly. From the hut to the water is 10 Meters. They have tables, chairs, lounges and umbrellas all just a few feet from the water. All of the food we tried - Quesadilla's, nachos, fajita's was excellent. They have very good VERY HOT "Mucho Calliente" fresh salsa. They use filtered water. We had 4 people, a LOT of beers, food, sodas and our tab at the end of the day was $42.00. Elmer also went a got a shell for our 2 year old son, it was very large and only $10.

If you stop by, Tell him Michael and Michael (son) said Hi! We were the ones that gave him the beach toys!

A note on that, on Rhapsody of the Seas, in the gift shop, they sold 2 different sets of beach toys, one for $5 one for $3.95. We bought one of each and gave them to the local children. Boy their eyes sure lit up and they couldn't quit saying Gracias. :D I sure more would be appreciated ;)

If you are looking for a nice relaxing day at the beach to have some cervesa and soak up some sun, Mahahual will please you.

For us, it was our favorite stop between Key West, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

m00k3y....Thanks for the info. Sounds great! We'll be in Costa Maya in June and still not sure what we want to do. Certainly has to have Beer!! From looking at all the pictures from the other threads, the beach looks great and not to crowded. Glad you had a good time. Bill

A note on that, on Rhapsody of the Seas, in the gift shop, they sold 2 different sets of beach toys, one for $5 one for $3.95. We bought one of each and gave them to the local children. Boy their eyes sure lit up and they couldn't quit saying Gracias. :D I sure more would be appreciated ;)

What were the beach toys you mentioned? We are going with our granddaughter and grandson and would be interested in buying and then giving away as we leave to go back to the ship.

What were the beach toys you mentioned? We are going with our granddaughter and grandson and would be interested in buying and then giving away as we leave to go back to the ship.

Trying to remember specifically what was in each set. I believe the $3.95 set included a bucket, sifter, shovel, rake and 1 or 2 molds (star/seahourse/etc).

The $5 set had a sifter, bowl, some molds and maybe shovel/rake too.

I might have the sets switched on prices, but pretty sure that they are right as we were kind of surprised that we fealt the cheaper set was actually a better deal.

When you go into the main gift shop, go to the back of the store, turn left and they will be on the far wall. Very easy to find, with all the other children oriented gifts and toys.

tyman - our taxi let us out in the middle of town so you would have to head back to the beginning. Mind you that the whole area can be walked in about 10 - 15 minutes so you're never far from the beer tent:D . Just ask anyone where the grocery store is and they are happy to point it out.

Hi,

No problems at all.

As usual, whenever we are in Mexico, we don't ever take drinks in a glass with ice. We drank beer and soda out of bottles/cans. Margaritta's are ok as the alcohol will kill anything bad. ;)

The food was awesome.

We spoke with many people from our ship that went to Mahahual and everyone loved the food, people and beach and not one report of anyone being sick.

We loved Majahual! As we watched the sunset over the beach and ocean, sipping cold beers over a huge plate of fresh guacamole, my DH says, "I want to come back to this place!" I couldn't agree more. We started our day with the Grandeur of the Seas' Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour. We really enjoyed our time there and learned a lot. The guide, Juan Carlos, was wonderful. After being returned to the dock area, we took a taxi back to Majahual for $3. Our taxi driver recommended his friend's bar, El Delfin (The Dolphin). There were plastic tables and chairs on the beach, just like most places, and we pretty much had it to ourselves. Our day was noon to 8pm, so that didn't give us much time at Majahual before we had to return to the ship. Just enough time to have a few cold beers each, some quesadillas, fresh guacamole ($20) and watch a magnificent blue/pink/purple and orange sunset over the Caribbean and watch the lights come on the Grandeur in the distance. What a way to end the day, and our cruise. You can't go wrong with a trip to Majahual. My Mother and Grandmother took a taxi to Majahual too, and at lunch at the Majahual Hotel's restaurant. She said they had the best lobster meal she's ever had. Again, don't be put off by the sleepy, fishing village. This will be your most relaxing day!

Take a taxi to Mahaual, walk to Pez Quadro (you will see a fish picture on an easel in front of a little bar set up that has swings instead of bar stools). A wonderful place to relax and spend the whole day just like we did. Even saw some beautiful fish when we snorkeled right by the shore. We had food and drinks there and had a great time.

While in Cozumel we did a 6 hour snorkel with Eagle Ray Divers. Our family of four had the boat and the guide all to ourselves. Saw things we had only seen on TV and in aquariums at the zoo. Got the pictures developed today - just gorgeous (underwater Kodak cameras worked fabulous!)

Have a great time - wish I were going back tomorrow!

Hello,

Thinking of doing the open bar beach party (25.00)that costa maya excursions offers (the one in town, not Jungle Beach break from RCCL.) Sounds silly but I have a group and we can to relax on beach chairs. Anyone done this? Or should we just go in to town on our own? I have read it is so crowded you can not find a place to sit at the local bars on the beach. What have you found?

Hello,

Thinking of doing the open bar beach party (25.00)that costa maya excursions offers (the one in town, not Jungle Beach break from RCCL.) Sounds silly but I have a group and we can to relax on beach chairs. Anyone done this? Or should we just go in to town on our own? I have read it is so crowded you can not find a place to sit at the local bars on the beach. What have you found?

Hiya cooganbs

On the day we were there, there was a celebrity ship and rhapsody in port.

There were numerous areas along the beach that you could stop at that had plenty of room for people. Where we spent the day at was "FARO" with a nice hut right on the beach and there were enough tables and chairs on the sand for a good sized group. easily between the hut and beach could hold a group of 40 people probably more. Elmer will bend over backwards to make your day there as pleasant as possible! Everyone there was VERY friendly and Elmer speaks excellent English. We were not bothered there by a lot of vendors walking by. The only vendor that stopped by us was a little girl selling hand woven bracelets.

We spoke with many people from our ship that spent the day at Mahahual and even though we all spent the day at different places, we all had the same opinion. Great food, the friendliest people, ice cold beer and a very relaxing day on the beach!

My vote would certainly be to just go to Mahahual and pick a place that looks nice! I wouldn't do the beach party. we had 3 adults 1 child and drank a lot of beer, ate a lot of food and only spent $42.00.

IMHO :D

Archived