Passport info

BEARFACE

Hi,

I will be taking a cruise next April. My passport expires next June of 2010. Do passports have to be renewed months before expiration date? Just want to make sure I have no problems at the pier. I did call Celebrity, the gentleman told me no problem but just want to make sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks:)

Laura

It probably won't be a problem, but some countries want the expiration date on your passport to be at least 6 months beyond the time you travel.

Your best bet would be to check the websites of the various countries on your itinerary and see what their policies are.

Hypo

Yes, it depends on the countries you are visiting, some of which may want the passport to be valid up to six months after you enter the country.

So you could check all the countries you will be visiting, and then keep checking just in case they change their policies...or you could just renew your passport at the beginning of next year and not worry about it. I always renew early; one less thing to worry about.

I have the same issue for an upcoming September cruise. Our passports expire the end of January. We are going to Greece, Israel and Egypt. I have heard different versions of the passport requirements. I will update our passports now.

"Visitors desiring to stop in Israel on their way to other destinations may request a transit visa for five days, which can be extended for another 10 days.

Travelers on passenger ships stopping in Israel will be issued with a disembarkation card enabling them to stay in Israel as long as their ship is anchored in Israel. There is no need to submit a request for a visa."

Advice to all. If the passport expires less than 6 months after your travel renew it and have the new one to use. It eliminates one more worry. They are good for ten years so loosing a few months of use is no big deal. In the Celebrity brochures it does say "NOTE: We recommend your passport expire no sooner than six (6) months after the disembarkation date (return date) of your voyage"

Thank you everyone for your advice. I actually called Celebrity once again and they assured me that the passports would be fine. I guess this applies to other destinations, not Bermuda or the actual cruise itself. It is a closed loop cruise, leaving port and returning to same port.

Thanks again:)

Laura

Thank you everyone for your advice. I actually called Celebrity once again and they assured me that the passports would be fine. I guess this applies to other destinations, not Bermuda or the actual cruise itself. It is a closed loop cruise, leaving port and returning to same port.

Thanks again:)

Laura

The fact that it's a closed loop cruise is totally irrelevant. I wouldn't count on what Celebrity tells you, but would contact the Bermuda embassy or consulate directly. (We've heard so many horror stories on this board of Celebrity phone reps giving incorrect info--well, to be fair, phone reps from many cruise lines.) It's the old "Better safe than sorry" bit.

The fact that it's a closed loop cruise is totally irrelevant. I wouldn't count on what Celebrity tells you, but would contact the Bermuda embassy or consulate directly. (We've heard so many horror stories on this board of Celebrity phone reps giving incorrect info--well, to be fair, phone reps from many cruise lines.) It's the old "Better safe than sorry" bit.

Well I was feeling feeling confident but yes, I will contact the Bermuda Consulate. Thanks.

Laura

You can always check the requirements for persons traveling with a US passport on the Department of State website. Although there is a general view that there is a 6-month requirement for passport validity, for many countries, including much of Europe, the requirement is actually 90 days.

You can always check the requirements for persons traveling with a US passport on the Department of State website. Although there is a general view that there is a 6-month requirement for passport validity, for many countries, including much of Europe, the requirement is actually 90 days.

Go to travel.state.gov. They have the passport entry and exit requirements for all the countries.

Thanks again folks:)

I received so many different yes and no's, we are just going to renew them. If a passport is valid when you leave and return, that should be good enough:rolleyes: this nonsense six month window is ridiculous. My decision on renewing came with the last phone call I made to Celebrity Corporate, the rep told me yes, you need to renew. But yet the other day someone at Celebrity told me I did not need to renew, they really should get their act straight and give the correct information, important information too!! I will still call Bermuda Tourism tomorrow just to see what they have to say anyway.

Thanks again

Laura

Why does everyone seem to think that a "closed loop" cruise makes a difference?

People! Almost all cruise ships, including Celebrity ships, are considered foreign soil! This is why they must stop in a foreign country before coming back to the States. Closed loop is just a convenient way to travel (round trip). You are still going to other countries. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance and would just renew it prior to the cruise. What's the harm?

If you still want to ask people, your best bet isn't contacting Celebrity or even the consulate of what ever country...Call the State Department. Go to the source of your passport. Document who you call. Names, dates, times, and info. Better yet, have them email the information that you need so that you have it in writing.

Sorry about the rant - I've been seeing this defective logic on the Alaska board and it has been driving me crazy.

Our renewed passports arrived very quickly after we sent them off. Since you have to renew it anyway, why not just get it out of the way?

The U.S. Passport service finally switched from a by-hand method to a computer method to update/issue passports and, thus, they now only take a matter of a couple of weeks rather than several months to obtain or renew. :) :) :)

Why does everyone seem to think that a "closed loop" cruise makes a difference?

People! Almost all cruise ships, including Celebrity ships, are considered foreign soil! This is why they must stop in a foreign country before coming back to the States. Closed loop is just a convenient way to travel (round trip). You are still going to other countries. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance and would just renew it prior to the cruise. What's the harm?

If you still want to ask people, your best bet isn't contacting Celebrity or even the consulate of what ever country...Call the State Department. Go to the source of your passport. Document who you call. Names, dates, times, and info. Better yet, have them email the information that you need so that you have it in writing.

Thanks, I called the State Department and got in touch with passport information, they told me no problem. I also called Celebrity Corporate again, they said no problem, they have up to date immigation laws and thus far no problem. I also called Bermuda Tourism and he assured me there would be no problem. I will contact Celebrity after the New Year to make sure there are no changes. It is good to know that you can get a renewel in only a matter of weeks versus months.

Laura

We're going through the same problem right now. Our passports expire in March 2010 but because of the 6 month rule applied in many destinations we want to get our documents ready for any interesting cruise deals that may "interfere" with renewal dates. It's better to be prepared than to worry about the passports arriving on time when you really need them.

Archived