Is there a formal night?

TMEF

This is my first cruise on NCL and my hubby and I were working on our packing list, when he brought up the need for his dress pants to be cleaned. It just occurred to me that I don't know if there is a "formal" night? So, without starting a feud on appropriate dress for dinner, is there an actual "formal" night on the Dawn?

There are no formal nights on NCL. On a 7 day cruise they will typically have one or two "dress up or not" nights where a percentage (minority percentage to be sure) do get dressed up as if on a formal night...but there is never a requirement to "dress up" although you are certainly free to do so.

As the Horseman said... no. Can if you want.

Guessing you are new here. You might want to scan through a page or two of postings. You may find answers to questions you did not even know you had.

Enjoy!

Yes, new to the NCL board.....we just booked our cruise last week and only 14 days to sailing....

Do most people get dressed in suits on "dress up" nights or do they wear khaki's and a nice top....trying to determine if DH needs his dress pants, shirt, tie, and the heavy, dreaded dress shoes!!

Will not NEED anything dressy. Most people are okay with nice pants and shirt. Some will dress up. I have estimated in the past and others have not agreed with the numbers, so I will avoid that. I can safely say the vast majority do not wear a tie, ever on NCL.

Garycarla's got it right; there is no NEED for any dressy clothes on NCL. It's entirely up to you whether you want to dress up or not - even on the 'dress up or not' nights, as implied by the name! I generally pack a pair of dress pants for my husband and his dress shoes (and yes, even a tie), and on one of the designated nights, he'll wear it and my daughter and I will wear formalwear, and we have our picture taken. For the rest of the cruise, I continue to wear as much of my 'finery' as I've been able to squeeze in my suitcase - because I like to - and he wears his jeans or other more comfortable pants. :)

Thank you for the responses---- I think I will let him decide on what he would like to wear.

CanadianTwosome- I also enjoy wearing my "finery", while my husband enjoys wearing more comfortable attire (although he does enjoy wearing all those button down Hawaiin shirts!)

Is there a captain's party then?

Archived