British food....

...which is really odd.

and to think people would actually eat hot dogs or turkey twizzlers first before eating haggis is a bit weird...I think the ingredients in properly-made haggis is way more wholesome than some of the food colouring and additives in some hotdog products and turkey twizzlers!

I think it all depends on which butcher's floor the ingredients for the haggis have been swept up from!:rolleyes:

I'm with you. I love haggis!

I know it's probably not traditional, but I love mine with a thick, rich madeira gravy which mingles with the 'neeps and potatoes.

An accompanying tot of a good speyside single malt whisky always adds a degree of anticipation too...

:)

Our local butcher makes everything himself-except black pudding-and haggis, which he buys from Arbroath, all neatly tied up with string. What a choice-his best Cumberland sausage, his local lamb burgers or his scottish haggis!-jocap.

I know it's probably not traditional, but I love mine with a thick, rich madeira gravy which mingles with the 'neeps and potatoes.

An accompanying tot of a good speyside single malt whisky always adds a degree of anticipation too...

I spent a couple nights with a friend in Scotland in late June. One night she served chicken breasts stuffed with haggis and covered with a gravy. It was delicious.

I spent a couple nights with a friend in Scotland in late June. One night she served chicken breasts stuffed with haggis and covered with a gravy. It was delicious.

I'll pay you for her address.

I can be there in 4 hours!! :D:D

Our local butcher makes everything himself-except black pudding-and haggis, which he buys from Arbroath, all neatly tied up with string. What a choice-his best Cumberland sausage, his local lamb burgers or his scottish haggis!-jocap.

Cumberland sausage is great - I love it. Especially in a nice floury bap.

There is so much to be said about having a great butcher. When in England, we try to go up North to this butcher that, IMO, sells the best bacon sarnie (on a bap with caramelized onions) and great meat pies (it is so fresh and hot, the gravy oozes as you take a bite off the pastry).

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Cumberland sausage is great - I love it. Especially in a nice floury bap.

There is so much to be said about having a great butcher. When in England, we try to go up North to this butcher that, IMO, sells the best bacon sarnie (on a bap with caramelized onions) and great meat pies (it is so fresh and hot, the gravy oozes as you take a bite off the pastry).

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I don't know where you live, but it sounds like you should be living over here in the UK!!

You've just described my ideal:

a) breakfast

b) lunch

:D:D

I'll pay you for her address.

I can be there in 4 hours!! :D:D

All I'll say is near Glasgow!

And actually she and her husband are on my side of the pond right now so wouldn't do you any good to try to find her.

Even as I write this I'm cooking bangers and will make bangers and mash. I found some bangers made over here from a traditional recipe, so I'm going to find out how close they are to the real thing.

Living in a wild area, we have lots of neighbours who shoot game, so we often find a brace of pheasants hanging from the door handle. I usually stuff them with haggis, so it's perhaps something that happens in the Borders (us) or Scotland.-jocap.

Thanks so much to all who posted in this thread. I am travelling with a 4 year old and am putting together a treasure hunt for each place we visit. This was a real treasure trove! I can already imagine the giggles and smiles when she hears names like Toad in the Hole and Eton Mess!

Does anyone have any ideas for fun activities I can include for her while we are in London? I already have the London Eye, a double decker bus and a tea party with biscuits and clotted cream.

Thanks so much to all who posted in this thread. I am travelling with a 4 year old and am putting together a treasure hunt for each place we visit. This was a real treasure trove! I can already imagine the giggles and smiles when she hears names like Toad in the Hole and Eton Mess!

Does anyone have any ideas for fun activities I can include for her while we are in London? I already have the London Eye, a double decker bus and a tea party with biscuits and clotted cream.

Make sure you ask for scones with your clotted cream or you will get cookies!!

Cookies are biscuits and Scones are the closest thing to American Biscuits although sweeter.

You can imagine when I moved to the US I wondered what on earth biscuits and gravy were - cookies and gravy sounded horrible!!:D

Oh! I thought from the description of clotted cream that it was meant to go with cookies, i.e. biscuits. I imagined scones with jam. Are they the more appropriate thing with the clotted cream?

I'm afraid to ask about the appropriate accompaniment for things like Spotted Dick:rolleyes:

Oh! I thought from the description of clotted cream that it was meant to go with cookies, i.e. biscuits. I imagined scones with jam. Are they the more appropriate thing with the clotted cream?

I'm afraid to ask about the appropriate accompaniment for things like Spotted Dick:rolleyes:

A traditional English cream tea will consist of scones, clotted cream and jam (usually strawberry in my experience), washed down with a nice cup of tea.

As for spotted dick? That's easy. Custard!:)

A traditional English cream tea will consist of scones, clotted cream and jam (usually strawberry in my experience), washed down with a nice cup of tea.

Also sometimes referred to as Devon cream tea or Cornish cream tea if you are in those areas, or elsewhere if they feature the cream from those counties.

Originally Posted by ILoveScotland viewpost.gif

Peppercorn sauce instead of gravy is even better.....

Chicken Balmoral they call it.

Other more Scottish dishes worth trying include......

Mince n' Tatties

Haggis, Tatties and Neaps

Black Pudding (The Stornaway Variety)

White Pudding

Skirlie n' Smoked Haddock

Clootie Dumpling

Originally Posted by ILoveScotland viewpost.gif

Peppercorn sauce instead of gravy is even better.....

Chicken Balmoral they call it.

Other more Scottish dishes worth trying include......

Mince n' Tatties

Haggis, Tatties and Neaps

Black Pudding (The Stornaway Variety)

White Pudding

Skirlie n' Smoked Haddock

Clootie Dumpling

It may have been peppercorn sauce. I said "gravy" but could easily have said "sauce."

Archived