British food....

I hate to say it but this was the one country we're as much as I tried I could not enjoy their standard fare :rolleyes:. But this all depends on one's tastes because they do have excellent Indian and Caribbean food places in and around London.

I think this is a problem with most countries when you first arrive, you end up with 'standard fare' which is never attractive at all. Bit like going to the US and ending up in a Denny's or similar and characterising US food quality as being akin to that.

Nearly all the British foods described so far, you wouldn't find in standard fare places, just like you wouldn't find anything worthwhile in Dennys.

If you're really lucky, the oik in the pub kitchen might even have followed the factory's instructions as to how the food should be re-heated.

Sorry. What's an oik?

I took the time to look up 'oik' on wordweb. Thhis is what it said:

"Disparaging term for someone regarded as inferior"

Not sure where the inferiority is here. Is it because they work in a kitchen, or because they work with inferior food or what? Or perhaps did you not know what it meant? I'm sure American visitors would like to know if they are being served food cooked by what you consider to be inferior people. Maybe you can explain? Thanks. T

I took the time to look up 'oik' on wordweb. Thhis is what it said:

"Disparaging term for someone regarded as inferior"

Not sure where the inferiority is here. Is it because they work in a kitchen, or because they work with inferior food or what? Or perhaps did you not know what it meant?

Actually, I'm surprised that you don't know what an "oik" is. Maybe it's a southern English word.

Anyway, the reason for the disparagement is that there are rather a lot of pretty skill-less people "cooking" in pubs. Hence the distinctly mediocre (if not worse) food that many of them churn out ...

actually, i'm surprised that you don't know what an "oik" is. Maybe it's a southern english word.

Anyway, the reason for the disparagement is that there are rather a lot of pretty skill-less people "cooking" in pubs. Hence the distinctly mediocre (if not worse) food that many of them churn out ...

I'll leave it there

We will actually be in Victoria at the end of an Alaska cruise in August. We are looking forward to afternoon tea and dinner in a pub.

Pub food is quite good in Victoria. I would suggest (downtown) the Sticky Wicket, Spinnikers, or if you've got a car, the 6 Mile Pub in Colwood, or Maude Hunters on Shelbourne St.

Also, for good old fish and chips, it's hard to beat Barb's Fish and Chips at fisherman's wharf.

I hope you weren't eating "standard fare" in pubs?

I cannot begin to understand the mania for eating in pubs. Most pub food today is dreadful mass factory-produced rubbish that is simply re-heated in the pub and smacked onto a plate. If you're really lucky, the oik in the pub kitchen might even have followed the factory's instructions as to how the food should be re-heated.

So i take it you've eaten in plenty of pubs ?

jj......

So i take it you've eaten in plenty of pubs ?
Including many in which I wish I hadn't, or hadn't needed to.

There are pubs with good food. There are some I'll happily go to regularly. But simply putting "eating in a pub" on your "must do" list for London or the UK is just as likely to produce a poor experience unless you do some research first.

Including many in which I wish I hadn't, or hadn't needed to.

There are pubs with good food. There are some I'll happily go to regularly. But simply putting "eating in a pub" on your "must do" list for London or the UK is just as likely to produce a poor experience unless you do some research first.

Absolute nonsense !!

jj......

"Let me take you by the hand, and lead you through the streets of London ..."

I've been to London many times being a Gooner supporter and have eaten in a few pubs and haven't had any complaints !!

So maybe your just wrong or just unlucky lol

Maybe you should try some Northern Irish pubs lol

jj.......

Maybe you should try some Northern Irish pubs lol

jj.......

I've tried the Crown in Belfast - had to be the Irish stew, sitting at the bar - no booths available.

There were one or two other pubs that weekend as I remember - but cant remember their names! And a rugby club - Malones maybe?

I've tried the Crown in Belfast - had to be the Irish stew, sitting at the bar - no booths available.

There were one or two other pubs that weekend as I remember - but cant remember their names! And a rugby club - Malones maybe?

Mc Hughs - John Hewitt maybe

jj......

Au contraire, Blackadder! Most of my pub meals are in the right pubs. That's how I know how bad the rest of them are ...

Can you provide me a list or the right pubs... so I as a tourist can avoid the drecky ones?:eek:

jc

Au contraire, Blackadder! Most of my pub meals are in the right pubs. That's how I know how bad the rest of them are ...

So why don't you tell OP the Right pubs, instead of a blanket statement on how bad they are???

It was a few years ago but DH and I went to Sherlock Homes Pub (i had been there many years before with my parents), we had the shepherd's pie, DH thought it was one of the best and he eaten it in many places in New York and Ireland. There is a post on the boards that is more recent, stateing that they had eaten there often on their vacation, so it must still be good. But you can get some really bad food in pubs in London.

I love the sausages (links, not patties) with breakfast and in bangers and mash. They are pork but nothing like traditional pork sausages here in the US and nothing like Italian or other European sausages. It's hard to describe but they're not spicy. They can't be imported, but I just found a company that sells sausages made here from traditional recipes. I have two pounds in my freezer right now.

I also love the bacon although to us it would be called ham.

Ham to us is gammon in the UK.

And remember pudding often refers to any dessert, not just a mixture of eggs, milk, sugar etc. cooked a long time.

Last, a full English breakfast will have eggs, sausage, bacon, grilled tomato and toast. In Scotland add haggis and black pudding to that list. I love it all.

Oh yes-haggis and neeps! Our butcher told us to make a shepherd's pie with haggis, mashing the turnip and potato together, covered with cheese. Different, and very filling.-jocap.

Oh yes-haggis and neeps! Our butcher told us to make a shepherd's pie with haggis, mashing the turnip and potato together, covered with cheese. Different, and very filling.-jocap.

Haggis, neeps and tatties - had that in a pub in Durness on a cold, windy night - what a wonderful combo. Loved it!

I don't get why a lot people (here in N. America anyway) recoil in horror whenever haggis is mentioned.....:confused:

Haggis, neeps and tatties - had that in a pub in Durness on a cold, windy night - what a wonderful combo. Loved it!

I don't get why a lot people (here in N. America anyway) recoil in horror whenever haggis is mentioned.....:confused:

I'm with you. I love haggis!

I think it's the idea of it, but some of those people who recoil are the same ones who grew up eating all manner of things on the farm.

I'm with you. I love haggis!

I think it's the idea of it, but some of those people who recoil are the same ones who grew up eating all manner of things on the farm.

...which is really odd.

and to think people would actually eat hot dogs or turkey twizzlers first before eating haggis is a bit weird...I think the ingredients in properly-made haggis is way more wholesome than some of the food colouring and additives in some hotdog products and turkey twizzlers!

Archived