What to do in Ft. Lauderdale?

bogeydi

Six of us are traveling together on the Emerald on October 11th. We all arrive the day before. This is our first time in Ft. Lauderdale. Anybody have any advice as to whether we will have time to do any sight seeing the morning of the cruise? Are there beaches to visit close to the port? Close enough to walk? Or do we need taxis? Do we leave our luggage at our hotel after we check out? Or lug it with us until we get to the port?

One of the big attractions in Ft. Ldle area is Sawgrass Mills Mall...

I 'm sure you could take a cab...though that would be pricey....maybe there's a bus, not sure!

Our favorite restaurant is Chimas....it's an Argentinian restaurant on Las Olas Blvd....that's the trendy/expensive area....

Depending on how long you'll be in this port,in Miami area there is Viscaya, South Beach, Metro zoo....depending on your interests...

The beach is not far from the port....in fact, while you're sitting on the beach you see the flight path of the planes coming and going....

Expect a lot of HOT weather...

Enjoy!

Mall sounds great for us girls. I think Miami might be too far away. Although the ship doesn't sail until 5:00 p.m. - we're thinking we'd like to be on board by 2:00. So we'll have all morning to do something. I'll check into whether there is a bus that goes to the beach. Doesn't sound like there's much else to do in that short time frame. Thanks for the info!

One of the big attractions in Ft. Ldle area is Sawgrass Mills Mall...

I 'm sure you could take a cab...though that would be pricey....maybe there's a bus, not sure!

Our favorite restaurant is Chimas....it's an Argentinian restaurant on Las Olas Blvd....that's the trendy/expensive area....

Depending on how long you'll be in this port,in Miami area there is Viscaya, South Beach, Metro zoo....depending on your interests...

The beach is not far from the port....in fact, while you're sitting on the beach you see the flight path of the planes coming and going....

Expect a lot of HOT weather...

Enjoy!

One of my favorite things to do in FL is to go downtown and take the boat tour of the million dollar mansions. The guides are knowledgable and usually pretty funny. The homes and landscaping is incredible, with a number of OOOhhs and AAAahs. It is only about 1 1/2 hours long and once again you are downtown with a number of fun restaurants and shops.

1)shopping and dining on Las Olas Blvd (downtown between US1 and SE 15th Ave...this would be perfect for late afternoon into evening). This is the place to be for dinner.

2)if you have a car, shopping at Sawgrass Mills outlet mall in Sunrise (this could be an 8 hr event...it's huge...it's a 30 minute drive)

3)take a guided river cruise to see the mansions (the Carrie B is recommended by most but I haven't tried it...I've been on the Jungle Queen which is really tacky)

4)enjoy a late afternoon/evening on the Fort Lauderdale Beachfront between E. Las Olas Blvd and BeachPlace. Sunday is a popular day. This would be a fun beach to visit also. (it's only about 2.5 miles away)

5)first sunday of the month: Jazz brunch at Las Olas Riverfront (west of Andrews Ave)

6)sunday breakfast on Las Olas at the Floridian or Le Bonne Crepe.

7)sunday brunch at Lips (drag show bar/restaurant)

I'm sure that your hotel will store your luggage on sunday.

We enjoy a relaxing ride on the Water Taxis, You pay one price, last year it was $13.00 and can ride all day. You can get on and off where ever you like, beaches. Las Olas Blvd and numerious other stops. The drivers on the taxis give you a very informative tour of the mansions up and down the intercoastal watrways. There is also the Sun Trolley that you can ride for a small fee that takes you around the Fort Lauderdale area.

If you go to Las Olas Blvd stop and get some ice cream...... I'm sorry I can't remember the name ot the Candy and Ice Cream Store but they are well known in Florida. It has to be the best New Orleans Praline Pecan ice cream I've eaten.

I'm not sure what hotel you're staying at in Ft. Lauderdale, but Sawgrass Mills is a far from the port--it's not in Ft. Lauderdale....it's in a town called Sunrise. I live in Ft. Lauderdale. A taxi there would be expensive. The Broward County Transit bus (Route #22) departs from Broward Central Terminal to Sawgrass Mills, but it is a 45-60 minute ride. Sawgrass Mills is a nice, but poorly laid-out and huge mall. I just feel like you won't have enough time to enjoy it before getting on the ship at 2:00.

If your hotel is near the port and you want to go to the beach, I would recommend catching the Broward County Transit bus (Eastbound Route #40) on the 17th Street Causeway to the beach. Get off the bus just past the Sheraton Yankee Clipper Hotel. The beach is right there. About a 5-7 minute ride. Depending on where your hotel is, a taxi might be economical also.

The previously mentioned water taxi tour of the million dollar homes is also a good option. I forget where you get on the water taxi, but hotel personnel could probably give you some info on that. Hope this helps.

If you go to Las Olas Blvd stop and get some ice cream...... I'm sorry I can't remember the name ot the Candy and Ice Cream Store but they are well known in Florida. It has to be the best New Orleans Praline Pecan ice cream I've eaten.

Kilwin's

Kilwin's

Thanks, I can never remember their name but I do know where to find them in Las Olas Blvd.. I am not an ice cream lover but I do enjoy their ice cream very much, in fact the first time we stopped at Kilwin's, my husband couldn't believe I finished the whole cone. There candy is also very good!!!

Thanks, I can never remember their name but I do know where to find them in Las Olas Blvd.. I am not an ice cream lover but I do enjoy their ice cream very much, in fact the first time we stopped at Kilwin's, my husband couldn't believe I finished the whole cone. There candy is also very good!!!

There is also a Kilwin's in Lauderdale by the Sea now.

1)shopping and dining on Las Olas Blvd (downtown between US1 and SE 15th Ave...this would be perfect for late afternoon into evening). This is the place to be for dinner.

2)if you have a car, shopping at Sawgrass Mills outlet mall in Sunrise (this could be an 8 hr event...it's huge...it's a 30 minute drive)

3)take a guided river cruise to see the mansions (the Carrie B is recommended by most but I haven't tried it...I've been on the Jungle Queen which is really tacky)

4)enjoy a late afternoon/evening on the Fort Lauderdale Beachfront between E. Las Olas Blvd and BeachPlace. Sunday is a popular day. This would be a fun beach to visit also. (it's only about 2.5 miles away)

5)first sunday of the month: Jazz brunch at Las Olas Riverfront (west of Andrews Ave)

6)sunday breakfast on Las Olas at the Floridian or Le Bonne Crepe.

7)sunday brunch at Lips (drag show bar/restaurant)

I'm sure that your hotel will store your luggage on sunday.

I agree with all of this.

I also think Sawgrass Mills is a little bit of a stretch given your time constraints.

If you want to shop, The Galleria Mall is an outstanding mall and one of my favs in the country. Saks, Neiman Marcus, etc.

I agree with all of this.

I also think Sawgrass Mills is a little bit of a stretch given your time constraints.

If you want to shop, The Galleria Mall is an outstanding mall and one of my favs in the country. Saks, Neiman Marcus, etc.

I agree that Sawgrass is a bit of a stretch but there was a time that I was such a die hard shopper that nothing would have stopped me from picking up a car, loading the luggage, and going straight to the mall.

Galleria Mall update: Saks 5th Ave closed this year, and no other stores plan to open in that spot. Trulucks Restaurant is planning to open at the mall soon. I go to Neimans Mermaid Bar for lunch just because of the popovers...delish!

Archived