Where to go for a beach day in Cabo?

PassionFruit

Househunter~~Can you recommend any shops where I could find some locally made pottery? (not the stuff imported from China.)... I would love to purchase some serving platters and dishes, etc..... I also like to buy artwork from local artists whenever I travel. Would this area have anything like this available?

Thank you for all the wonderful tips and suggestions. I really appreciate it! :)

Craving A Cruise

I cannot recommend any particular shops, but I did see several shops selling pottery along what I believe was Marina Blvd on my short visit there last January. Also, being from Phoenix we are able to make an occasional trip to the Mexican border for shopping trips. One thing I have learned is that when you buy pottery in Mexico and you want to use it for food service be sure it is marked as "Talavera". Other pottery can chip off the paint and it may contain lead. The Talavera pottery is higher quality and will not chip. It is all I buy.

I have pots and decorative pieces that I use outside, sit in our sun all day and water all the time with no peeling. My Mom has Talavera serving pieces and they do just fine also. Just don't put them in the dishwasher.

Thank you for the help! I will check along Marina blvd. Thanks also for alerting me and others to the "lead" problem. I was aware of this and that is why I was asking for the locally made pottery.

Surprisingly, a lot of the souvenirs in Mexico are "Made in China". LOL (and the paints contain lead.) I agree, the Talavera pottery is beautiful and very practical for our hot climates. I have several pieces and I can't wait to add to my collection. :)

Did you notice any art galleries in the area?

I cannot recommend any particular shops, but I did see several shops selling pottery along what I believe was Marina Blvd on my short visit there last January. Also, being from Phoenix we are able to make an occasional trip to the Mexican border for shopping trips. One thing I have learned is that when you buy pottery in Mexico and you want to use it for food service be sure it is marked as "Talavera". Other pottery can chip off the paint and it may contain lead. The Talavera pottery is higher quality and will not chip. It is all I buy.

I have pots and decorative pieces that I use outside, sit in our sun all day and water all the time with no peeling. My Mom has Talavera serving pieces and they do just fine also. Just don't put them in the dishwasher.

Thank you for the help! I will check along Marina blvd. Thanks also for alerting me and others to the "lead" problem. I was aware of this and that is why I was asking for the locally made pottery.

Surprisingly, a lot of the souvenirs in Mexico are "Made in China". LOL (and the paints contain lead.) I agree, the Talavera pottery is beautiful and very practical for our hot climates. I have several pieces and I can't wait to add to my collection. :)

Did you notice any art galleries in the area?

That is the only place we went that day. We were only in Cabo a few hours and shopped for a bit after a whale watching excursion. I hope to dig a little deeper when we are there in September. I am also interested in pottery and artwork. I hear the shopping is good in the streets behind Marina Blvd. I hope to spend a bit of time exploring them!:)

Just want to pipe in and say THANK YOU to those who are so generously offering all the info about Cabo! I am reading and bookmarking and planning with all the tips shared here.

Will be there in two weeks! Whoo hoo!

~gigi

We used to be big fans of The Office but have not been there in several years. We felt the food had gone from excellent to just ok while the prices had gone up and the service had gone down.

If you want the best fish tacos in Cabo for lunch, you would have to go to Las Gardenias. It's a large "hole in the wall" type place that has been there for many years. On the link I'm providing, I've tried to center it on the page while still keeping Baja Cantina in sight in the bottom right corner. It's walkable (depending on the heat). You could also do a pedicab from the beach. When your done lunch, walk out to the street, hang a right, walk to the corner, hang a right, and walk into town. If you are hot at that point, duck into the Plaza Puerto Paraiso Mall (it's air conditioned).

It's all on the map.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=22.8887681&lon=-109.9082673&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

I noticed on the wikimpia that there are North and South tender piers. Does anyone know which tender pier the cruise ships usually tender at?

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like some info on the water taxis too if anyone knows the cost from the tender pier to Medano Beach.

Should be $3/pp if you go straight to Medano without a tour. Make sure to negociate the price before getting in the boat.

Archived