Galaxy Sky Suite vs. Royal Suite

CajunLiner

I am beginning to think about upgrading my family's reservation from SS to RS. My wife, nine year old son, eight year old daughter, and I will be going on a twelve day Panama Canal cruise in November. I have several concerns.

One: room service. I would really like for us all to be able to sit at the same table to eat en suite. I don't think it is possible in a Sky Suite. However, the Oasis Café is just down one flight of stairs from the Sky Deck vs. a somewhat greater trek from the Penthouse Deck. I am not sure how much we'll be using cabin service. We may also be having childless family members cruising with us and I thought it would be particularly nice to let the kids go to the kids program one evening and host a dinner party.

Two: space. I'd prefer for us not to be falling over each other. Someone even noted that the sofa bed may block access to the balcony in the Sky Suite. The bathroom of the RS looks much more multi-user friendly. However, I've seen pictures of the two suites' respective balconies and the balcony on the RS is a major stumbling block. There appears to be a huge over-hang, so no sunbathing. You have to stick your neck out to see forward or aft; the Sky Suite we booked has a forward facing "notch" in it that makes it easier to see forward. And SPACE! The SS balcony is twice the size of the RS balcony! Room for both regular and lounge chairs. I think we may actually make quite a bit of use of the balcony.

Three: cost. This can be managed, but not without sacrificing somewhere else: wardrobe, drinks, excursions, etc.

What advice do you have?

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Cruise

four of you, over seven days. I would absolutely upgrade.

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94

Carnival, Holiday 12/95

Carnival, Jubilee 12/96

Royal's, Song of America 11/98

Celebrity Galaxy 9/99

Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00

Celebrity, Millennium 12/00

Royal's Vision 2/02

Royal's Vision 12/02

Royal's Monarch 6/03

Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04 !!

You've pretty much laid out the pros and cons. The only advice I have is to use the balcony in the sky suite for dinner parties and eating for family gatherings. The draw back to the RS on the Galaxy is that you go into the bedroom to reach the bathroom. A con to the balconies of the SS is that other people will see you when you venture out to sunbathe-so no privacy there!

Now having said that, you should know that we always book the RS. The seperate rooms are the main reason. It's a privacy issue and there is only two of us. I'm an early riser and an early nighter. Hubby is the opposite. This way we do not disturb each other and we each have our private moments-which is important to really relax on the cruise. Have you considered two cabins instead of one for your family? A feature that I love is the dressing "room" in the RS. While hubby is utilizing the bathroom, I had my own make-up table and dressing room to get ready. I loved that area!

As for the balcony with the RS. I loved it for the fact that you can enter/exit from the bedroom also-this was the door we left open at night. The overhang didn't bother me at all-although I don't sunbathe and don't understand why people place so much emphasis on it-I'm seeing a dermatologist with strict instructions to avoid direct sunlight. The overhang was welcomed because it provided some protection when it was really, really hot.

Also, not sure of your exact cruise date-but the Galaxy attracts a more mature clientele with not a lot of children. Therefore, you might find yourself entertaining your kids more. If this is a concern of yours due to the temperment of your children I would suggest requesting a small table in the dining room. There is no malice behind this remark-I love the Galaxy but actually think children will be bored with her. My daughter is a camp counselor (land based) and I often find myself scouting ships with her in mind. Galaxy just doesn't offer a lot for people under 21.

04/04 Brilliance

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;04;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Two years ago, my wife, 13-year-old daughter, 10-year-old son and I had a Royal Suite on the Mercury for 7 days. We had a sleeper sofa and a cot, and the extra room (and second TV) were wonderful. While we didn't have en suite meals on this trip, it was nice to know that it was an option. We also loved the second entrance to the balcony from the bedroom. We are not sun worshippers, so the balcony configuration was not an issue for us.

On a European cruise last summer, we had two staterooms. Even though having the extra bathroom was nice, I definitely preferred the Royal Suite, and would suggest you consider upgrading.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Also, not sure of your exact cruise date-but the Galaxy attracts a more mature clientele with not a lot of children. Therefore, you might find yourself entertaining your kids more. If this is a concern of yours due to the temperment of your children I would suggest requesting a small table in the dining room. There is no malice behind this remark-I love the Galaxy but actually think children will be bored with her. My daughter is a camp counselor (land based) and I often find myself scouting ships with her in mind. Galaxy just doesn't offer a lot for people under 21.

Thank you. We've already decided that a table for the four of us in the dining room was the way to go. My children are quite used to dining in public, so I am not really worried about being unable to take them to dinner.

Although I understand that Celebrity is not Disney, I have been told that the children's program is perfectly fine. We live in the country and homeschool our children, so they are used to making their own fun. It is not necessary for them to have many other children around for them to be happy. Our cruise is for twelve days, and I understand that longer cruises attract more mature passengers. However, the last half of the cruise falls within Thanksgiving week, so I imagine that my children will not be the only school-age passengers.

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cajunliner,

I have read your posts and the new topics you have posted. As I recall, you mention that you and your family are well traveled, but have never cruised.

Is it possible that you might consider a shorter cruise -- to see how you, and your family, enjoy cruising? I (personally) believe that a 12 day cruise (for first cruise) is a bit optimistic.

You mention the sunbathing and the desire for the larger balcony: that was my decision, as well. (Between SS and RS -- have chosen RS) We (two of us) had the same size balcony (smaller, faster vessel) -- stateroom -- approximately 125 sq.ft. larger -- for 7 days. The Caribbean sun was so hot during the day (no shade on balcony) that we were often not out there. Also, I agree with the poster that thinks 246 sq. ft. cabin is small for 12 days with 4 persons, albeit, 2 children.

Could be that you are truly looking towards more service -- the butler you will have, will have many other suites, as well.

Just a note that I applaud your seeking a wonderful venue --

Bookit

[This message was edited by Bookit on 04-11-04 at 03:47 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bookit on 04-11-04 at 04:02 PM.]

Cajunliner- Do let us know if you decide to upgrade and how you found the experience with four in the room.

Another caution! We once cruise with our kids at a time when there were not many other kids on board and they did not open the kids camp! Now, I'm the only aware of this happening to me-and only once. Don't know if this was an anomaly or not.

04/04 Brilliance

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;04;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for the advice, Bookit. I had not really thought about the overhang from the resort deck as a blessing before your post, but I am beginning to see how it could be one.

As for taking such a long cruise, I admit that we may all be dreadfully ill, or otherwise miserable, but we are just going to have to take our chances. My wife will not fly and I will not drive from almost Texas to Ft. Lauderdale. The only other options are Galveston, Houston, and New Orleans. Other than the Galaxy, we would have had the option of Carnival or Royal Caribbean and we really didn't want all the hoopla. (There is a fourteen day Crystal Harmony sailing out of N.O. but, needless to say, that would only make matters worse...and it would just be too tiresome to get all the jewelry out of the bank vault icon_wink.gif.)

We really wanted Celebrity, so this is our only choice.

Justin

We had a RS on the Mercury and although it was fabulous I suggest that you check what is above. The clear-up crew seem to enjoy dragging chairs across the deckl above after midnight and it was a major problem for us.

We have stayed in both Sky Suites and Royal Suites on Galaxy and in my opinion you will be much happier in the Royal Suite. If you want to gamble and try to upgrade upon boarding the ship, it is very reasonable. We were able to upgrade to a Royal on the Galaxy (10 day) cruise for $400.00 total.

Mercury 9/26/04 Cabo Wabo Party

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;09;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Cindon,

(I believe that you helped me when I was "waffling" between the SS and the RS!)

For Cajunliner: The first two (2) Galaxy cruises from Galveston are not listed on Travelocity (presently), which indicates to me that those cabins are being held. I do understand your dilemma as to choice -- I do not like to fly, and have constantly been an obstacle icon_razz.gif in our booking decisions.

Bookit

Justin,

We were in a royal suite on the Mercury in 1997. It was our first cruise, and we sailed with our son, who was 5 at the time. We loved it and so did our son.

Think of all the money you're saving by not flying to Fort Lauderdale - and spend it on the royal suite. icon_cool.gif

As for the kids on the Galaxy, we're booked for the 11 day panama canal in March and our son will be 11. Celebrity has his favorite kids activities.

We've sailed on Carnival (4 day), Royal Caribbean (10 day), and Celebrity. X is our families favorite and now that the Galaxy is sailing out of Galveston, we are jumping for joy.

Happy sails,

Lisa

MY HUSBAND AND I, AND MY MOTHER ARE ALSO SAILING GALAXY NEXT MARCH 10TH FOR THE 11 NIGHT PANAMA CANAL. WHEN IN MARCH ARE YOU SAILING? MY MOTHER ALSO DOES NOT LIKE TO FLY AND IT IS GREAT HAVING A CELEBRITY SHIP SAILING OUT OF GALVESTON. CELEBRITY IS ALSO OUR FAVORITE CRUISE LINE. THIS WILL BE OUR FIFTH WITH THEM. WE JUST DID A RCL (BRILLIANCE) THIS PAST MARCH AND WHILE THE ITINIRARY WAS REALLY GREAT AND THE SHIP WAS BEAUTIFUL, WE PREFER CELEBRITY. I GUESS WE HAVE BEEN SPOILED.

HAPPY SAILS TO YOU

BARB, FRED, AND YVONNE

GALAXY 11-NIGHT PANAMA CANAL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;3;10;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Bookit,

We would really like to upgrade to the RS, but we are going to gamble on availability and see if the cost is less closer to sailing, maybe even at the pier. I realize that is not, at all, guaranteed, but we are going to chance it.

We are going ahead with the twelve day cruise. Thanks for the advice.

Justin

• 9 months later...

Hey CajunLiner,

was reading this thread and wondered how your trip turned out??

We're booked on the Galaxy panama canal for April 25th 2005.

Did you change to th RS on the trip or stay with SS? How did it work out for you guys?

Alan

We stayed with the Sky Suite. We made it, but our children are 9 and 8 and they had to share the pull out couch. We did get a cot brought in, but it took up the path to the bathroom, so we had it removed after the 1st night. Speaking of bathroom, that was a tough situation as well. 4 people sharing one bathroom for 12 days got old----after about the 2nd day. We are booked for a 14 day in October and this time, we got the kids their own room-connected to ours of course! They each have their own bed, and we have 2 bathrooms, not to mention double the storage and closet space!

Donna

Hey guys,

There will No Problems with two rooms :) for sure. That transatlantic sounds like a really great trip too. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time on that one. Wish we could do that cruise ourselves.

Thanks for responding and the feedback and letting us know how it went. Have a super time on your next cruise!!

Alan & Regina

A sky suite with 172 sq feet of space inc the bathroom is really tight for more than 2 people.

The royal suites on the C Class ships are spacious and could easily accomodate 2 children. The balconys are narrow but long with 2 entrances and private.

If you have the funds a RS is the way to go.

idssms

Don, I think the Sky Suites are a little bigger than 172. I think they are 246. I can see why Donna has chosen two cabins adjoining as you then get the two bathrooms. The RSs are good for space, but still only one bathroom, albeit with a separate shower and lavatory stall.

btw - hi Donna. Hope you and family are all well:)

Phil

No we did not ask for an upgrade. This was our first cruise, we did not really know what to expect, but were quite pleased with what we got (the Sky Suite). We were in 1232 on Galaxy. We never really stayed in the room except to sleep, get dressed, and bathe. There was plenty of room to move around with the sofa closed. Of course, the balcony was unbelievably huge, so there was plenty of space to move around there and entertain as well. The only "problems" as I mentioned earlier were the one bathroom for 4 people who are not used to all needing to use it at the same time (we have 2 at home) and the kids (who are very active, even in their sleep) having to share a rather somewhat small sleeping space.

Hi Phil! We are well. Looking forward to the Transatlantic and looking around for our next one as well! We may meet up again someday!

Donna

Actually, that's the one I'm leaning towards! But that only leaves us 5 months between cruises! Justin doesn't think we can do it. We both work for the same hospital and we are not sure we could get 2 2 week vacations that close together!

I've noticed that a lot of the CC people are going on this cruise and that alone makes me think this it is going to be a great cruise!

Donna

PS: Try to talk Justin into it!

Phil:

You are 100% correct. The SS are 246 sq feet. On my last Galaxy trip in Sept I visited 2 SS on the Penthouse Deck and just thought they were standard size 172 sq ft cabins. I forgot about that extra love seat and table area which increases the sq footage.

My Zenith Cabin in January (172 sq ft) was adequate for 2 people but would be a nightmare for 4. I still think the SS would be crammed with 4 people.

Thanks for enlightening me!!

Don

Archived