Torn b/w 2 cruises out of San Juan- need port advice

tofubeast

Hi all,

DH and I are keeping our eye on two cruises out of San Juan on RCCL. We are flexible about dates and here are the two we are thinking about, both on the Serenade Of The Seas.

Which ports are more exciting and interesting from a cultural perspective (i.e. more than just pretty beaches....)??

1. Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

or

2. Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba; Roseau, Dominica; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

THANKS!!!!!

Just me - but I would take the Curacao, Aruba, St Thomas cruise. Curacao has a lot to offer when it comes to history and culture. It has the oldest and one of the most beautiful synagogues in the western hemisphere. It's also got the hato caves, historical museum, and pontoon bridge. Not much with culture in Aruba. But I would take a ferry from St Thomas and go to St John to see one beautiful island.

the curacao, dominica itinerary. Curacao is lovely with gorgeous beaches and the downtown area is a world heritage site. Dominica is so unlike most of the other caribbean islands.. lush tropical forests and not nearly as developed as the other islands.. if you do go to dominica, check out the ports of call board first and read the reviews about a tour guide named beno.. then book him.. you won't be disappointed

I like No 2. Been to all those spots a few times and I love Curacao and Dominica. Dominica is a lush island that reminds me of Hawaii in a way. Curacao has a great port to sail into. Very unique. And at St. Thomas you can take a run over to St. John to Trunk Bay, a beautiful beach. I know you said "more than just a beautiful beach" but this is special.

I have been to all of these islands more than once and in my personal opinion you can't go wrong with either one of them. Each offers something different. So pick one and then try the other the next time. When we go out of San Juan we stay at a little place - the Holiday Inn Express. Last time we stayed it was $96 per night total and had nice continental breakfast, small pool, hot tub, free internet cafe, and was so so clean.

Both are good itineraries. We prefer the Curacao, Aruba itinerary as we like the cove snorkeling beaches in Curacao and the wonderful little city of Willemstad -which is a World Heritage site. A great variety of things to do on this island.

We also like the bigger beaches in Aruba and the Rain Forest in Dominica. St. Thomas has something for everyone- a trip to St. John?

Archived