Money stolen from room safe.

codycats

Why anybody would defend the steward is beyond me.

Sure, he was nice and did his job, but certainly he would be first on my list. Here's a guy that you see for the lenght of the cruise. Nine(9) days in this case, comes from a third world country, and you think he's the picture of trust and honesty?

You don't need to be from a third world country....ever heard of Bernie Madoff??

We always use the room safe...I think we'll be more careful in choosing codes (although I don't use birthdays). Thanks for reminding us that just because we're on vacation we shouldn't leave our caution at home.

I still suspect the steward.

You want to know why anyone would defend the steward?

Because it is completely illogical to think that someone would jeopardize their entire career in the cruise industry for $200. That's why.

Sure, he was nice and did his job, but certainly he would be first on my list. Here's a guy that you see for the lenght of the cruise. Nine(9) days in this case, comes from a third world country, and you think he's the picture of trust and honesty?

Wait a minute. Because he comes from a "third world country" he's dishonest and untrustworthy???

Hopefully this will never happen to any of you people reading this, but if it ever does I hope you are not called a liar, as some of you folks have called me and my wife.

I find this really hurtful.

We are both professional people.

Oh, so you find it hurtful that you are called a liar, but you find it perfectly acceptable to call your steward a thief???

And not only did you call him a thief, you said that anyone who comes from a third world country is basically dishonest.

And your feelings are hurt????

I still am perplexed as to why he allegedly put over $1,000 back into the safe after he thought $100 had been stolen from the safe. If I thought someone had broken into my safe I surely would not stick $1,000 plus back in there and hope for the best. I can think of many places I could stick the money and feel a lot more comfortable than placing it in the safe in such a situation. To me this is what makes the OP's story so hard to believe.

Fact: A person would have to be an idiot to use an easily-determined date such as a birthday as a safe code or an ATM PIN.

Agreed; I always do 1-2-3-4. Much easier to remember! :D:cool:;)

Fact: A person would have to be an idiot to use an easily-determined date such as a birthday as a safe code or an ATM PIN.

LOL --but a person would be a genius to use your code?

1-2-3-4 you think is a safe code. What's with you?

That's probably the easiest code to break.

Why you are trying to twist everything I write?

I'm not asking you to question it.

I wrote to share what happened to me on my vacation. Not to hear your nonsense.

If you have nothing constructive to write, why write at all?

I still am perplexed as to why he allegedly put over $1,000 back into the safe after he thought $100 had been stolen from the safe. If I thought someone had broken into my safe I surely would not stick $1,000 plus back in there and hope for the best. I can think of many places I could stick the money and feel a lot more comfortable than placing it in the safe in such a situation. To me this is what makes the OP's story so hard to believe.

Such as?

Where? In a sock?

In your suitcase?

could have been ANY crew member, not necessarily the stateroom attendant only !

This is true, but security ran a check of the keys that entered my cabin.

Only 3 were used.

Mine, my wife's and the steward.

Hopefully, now that he is under the microscope he will be caught.

I'm certain he will do this again. It was too easy.

Ok then what would be a safe code you would use?

Something easy to remember?

Last 4 numbers of your phone number?

House number?

S.S. number?

birthday?

Anniversary? These are all in your room profile.

1-2-3-4? LOL

let us know.

House number?

S.S. number?

birthday?

1-2-3-4? LOL

let us know.

None of these. I would use (and do) a number that I commonly use for numerical passcodes. It's not anything that would appear on my profile and I use a variant of it for any numerical passcode. It's actually longer than 4 digits so I have some latitude when I need a longer numerical passcode. I always know which part of that number I use whether it is a 4, 6, 8, etc. passcode.

So, I just let you know.

Oh, so you find it hurtful that you are called a liar, but you find it perfectly acceptable to call your steward a thief???

And not only did you call him a thief, you said that anyone who comes from a third world country is basically dishonest.

And your feelings are hurt????

You go!! I couldn't have said it better!!

How about this scenario: Someone from his party of 8 took the first $100. Wife? whoever. They didn't think it was such a big deal -- he had brought all the money for the vacation. They all knew the code (apparently the whole bunch used birthday codes, so indeed easy to figure out). They were going to tell him,

but when he made such a big deal about the missing $100, they shut up. And then when he blamed the poor steward, called in security, etc.,...they clammed up even tighter.

But then, when he put the money back in the safe and didn't change the code!, they figured, "hey, why not. A second $100, the steward will be blamed again, I'll have walking-around cash."

Seems much more plausible to me than the steward taking the money.

Only 3 were used.

And you are honestly naive enough to not think it could have been the stateroom attendant that was working with another crew member.

I would not hold my breath that you will get ANY satisfaction from the cruiseline on this.....perhaps a discount on a future cruise for your trouble, but that would be the best they MIGHT even provide.

We also had 100 Euros missing from our safe. It appeared that my husband had not closed the safe properly on either the first or second day. We saw when we went to go into the safe that it was not securely locked. DH saw our money sitting in the safe and didn't question that anything was missing. When he went to take out money for our independent tour, he realized 100 euros were missing. We knew exactly how many Euros we had purchased and how much we had spent. Since I had purchased the money from my credit union at work on 3 different occasions (since they had a limit) and we had split the money up between us and between cases, we though maybe we had somehow left 100 euros at home. We did not want to ruin someones life over this since we could not be sure money was taken, and there was a steward and an assistant steward. We gave a standard tip, nothing extra, and figured we got back a little of the money that way. The missing money never showed up.

Funny part of this story was that when we disembarked, my DH found a 50 Euro note (or maybe it was 20) as we walked through the terminal on the way to the taxi.

I think it is very shrewd to only steal 100 Euros. We would certainly have known and complained if all the money was missing. But like someone said previously, we doubted whether anything was really missing. How many of you even keep track of your money?

I am glad we did not let this ruin our cruise.

I believe OPs story and I appreciate the fact that he shared this story. I now double check that the safe is closed and I touch all the keys to make sure there is no way they can read fingerprints off the keys.

comes from a third world country, and you think he's the picture of trust and honesty?

Excuse me? I must have misread that. <reads again> Nope.

Sir, be glad it's only money you're missing. With that attitude, you're lucky it's not teeth. :rolleyes:

Caro

Only 3 were used.

When the stewards clean the cabins they will often leave the cabin door open the entire time, even when they are in another cabin or getting supplies. It is entirely possible that anyone could have entered your cabin during that time, even one of your travelling companions. By the way do you really think that the cabin stewards have a list of everyone's birthdays? Why would they need that information?

codycats...just to let you know that some may not believe you because there are often 'new' people on the boards that like to bring up interesting topics/stories, just for the fun of it!!

Another reason is that I have heard of people creating a story such as this to give them a reason to have the gratuity removed from their bill.

I do not doubt the OP's experience. None but the OP and his party were there, so we are not in a position to question what did/did not occur.

The real value to this thread, in my opinion, is the caution to others here to be careful of the code used for the in-cabin safe and to be certain you close and lock the safe correctly and securely.

Um, I've never provided a cruise line my SS# and they only have my cellphone number, not my home number. And I doubt the room stewards have ALL your identifying info that you give for the manifest to be provided to Homeland Security.

House number?

S.S. number?

birthday?

1-2-3-4? LOL

let us know.

[quote name=codycats;20094435

I still suspect the steward.

Sure' date=' he was nice and did his job, but certainly he would be first on my list. Here's a guy that you see for the lenght of the cruise. Nine(9) days in this case, comes from a third world country, and you think he's the picture of trust and honesty?

You think backround checks like the kind done here in the USA are given to these employees?

I think not!!

My opinion is that you are CORRECT! Why do you think they are stowed in the bowls of the ship? So they can organize their cabal and perpertrate these crimes. Everyone knows that a small number breaks into the main computer and steals the manifest to track the passengers. Then they highjack the camera security system to monitor movements of the guests and document their habits and movements. Return to that secret room located on deck 00. Only accessable by the cabal members and syncronize their watches. With perfect percision they strike! Quick as cats and stealthy as snakes they steal. Return to the secret room,convert their plunders into gold so it can't be traced and Fed-ex that back to their headquarters in some third world country. Believe me all the cruise lines know about this cabal and tolerate because the cruise lines are taking a cut to keep quiet.:cool:

The information always comes out in their back ground check when they are first employed and it is this group that is groomed by the cruise lines to enhance its' revenues. If you don't believe me ask the tooth fairy because he explained everything to me in great detail. Now I don't even eat Chinese food for fear of being drugged and dragged into this hiddeous group posing as stewards.:eek:[/quote]

Post of the year!!!! :D

Some posters here obviously have too much time on their hands (particularly the last poster with his silly juvenile story which is verging on bullying). Codycats related what happened (possibly making some of you think twice about those codes you use ) and gets shot down in flames. As per usual with this forum.

So you think it's OK to call his wife and his friends thieves?

The truth of the matter is that YOU don't know who stole the cash and neither does Codycats with any certainty - only suspicions on account of the people who entered the room. He is also not asking any of you to solve the "crime" so there's no need to do the Sherlock Holmes bit either.

Another reason is that I have heard of people creating a story such as this to give them a reason to have the gratuity removed from their bill.

I asked that on the first page and it was left unanswered.

there are four possibilities

1. The steward took it

2. The poster miscounted.

3. His significant other took it and doesn't want to tell him.

4. He took it out himself and doesn't remember...

all these are possible but none of us really know. The only way to know for sure is a camera in the safe....

Archived