Cruising the Caribbean in August?

Hi All,

We have cruised in June and mid July but now thinking of early August (due to someone in our group turning 21 at that time). I'm concerned about the greater chances of hurricanes at this time. I know there are no guarantees but curious to know any August cruisers experiences this time of year.

Thanks...

Therese

As you can see from my signature we have always cruised in August because that is the only time that is available to us and we have been lucky so far. As you said there are no guarantees, but they are probably just as equal of a percentage in July as August (just guessing since I am not a meteorologist). The last cruise on the Mariner the hurricane was following us, so as we were leaving that port they were boarding up the place. Also the last cruise on Carnival we missed the storm by 2 days for each port...luckily no real damage.

We have cruised in August 3 different times - all in the Caribbean. Each time, we've had great weather, but like you said - you never know. On two of those occasions, there were hurricanes in the Caribbean the week before we left but our weather was fine.

Hi All,

We have cruised in June and mid July but now thinking of early August (due to someone in our group turning 21 at that time). I'm concerned about the greater chances of hurricanes at this time. I know there are no guarantees but curious to know any August cruisers experiences this time of year.

Thanks...

Therese

Since our Anniversary is Aug 6th we always cruise on that date and we've never had anything but great weather and no more then moderate seas

The good thing about being on a ship is that it can simply go where the storm isn't. While it's possible that your cruise will be cancelled or shortened, it is fairly unlikely and usually only happens if your departure port is closed due to a storm. If you affected at all, it's more likely that your itinerary would change our you could miss a port. And, of course, that could happen even without weather.

The good thing about being on a ship is that it can simply go where the storm isn't. While it's possible that your cruise will be cancelled or shortened, it is fairly unlikely and usually only happens if your departure port is closed due to a storm. If you affected at all, it's more likely that your itinerary would change our you could miss a port. And, of course, that could happen even without weather.

Yes I agree with this... The ships will just go away from the storms if there are any in the way.

We sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale in August 2004 and there was a hurricane Charley in the area. We saw lots of damage in the area but our ship still sailed and we were fine.

I would book again for August without hesitation.

We're out of FLL in September for the Western Carib.

We just understand that we may end up in Bostonand Maine. Of course, then I can start a thread being righteously indignant about it so it's a win/win.:)

You have to go when you can..

August in 2005 was a Hurricane mess (think Katrina etc)

In 2006 there were none.

Unless a hurricane is going to make landfall at your port of embarkation it shouldn't impact you more than missing a port of call or going on a different route.

Hi All,

Thanks...

Therese

September has the highest freguency of Hurricaines with August being second. The data for 2009 says this will be an average year for the likelihood of hurricaines (see the attached link).

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane.shtml

With that being said, we have traveled in August and September on cruises that have occurred during or around hurricaines. We had high seas one night (12 footers) and great weather the rest. As people have said, the cruise lines will not jepordized thier investment in the ship nor your safety to run through a hurricaine. They will steer as clear of it as possible. You should not fear the hurricaines affecting your cruise unless it happens to land on the port when you are scheduled to depart or arrive.

Mike

Again, just our experiences - no guarantees!!

Our anniversary is in late August and we have cruised the last week in August on 5 occasions & once mid-August and have had great weather each and every time. As a matter of fact, the only time we have ever missed a port due to weather was Grand Cayman in June a few years back due to an early season tropical storm. August has been good to us both in the caribbean and in the Bahamas. We have had better weather in August than on our June cruises, which is our second most frequented month.

Once, way back in the 1990's, there were three hurricanes in the carribbean during our western c. cruise. We made every port and had sunny skies every day. The caribbean is a very big place!

Also bear in mind that although August is a very hot month in the US, it is not necessarily hotter in the Caribbean due the proximity to the equator and the reversal of seasons between the northern & southern hemispheres.

I say go for it!

We're out of FLL in September for the Western Carib.

We just understand that we may end up in Bostonand Maine. Of course, then I can start a thread being righteously indignant about it so it's a win/win.:)

LOL! Well now you owe me a new keyboard, was eating lunch while reading this one! Maybe I can start a thread on that :eek:.

We love cruising in August/September. We typically find a great deal because it's hurricane season and we have never had any problems. We were rerouted a few times due to hurricanes, but it turned out to be places we would have rather seen, like Key West the last time. I say anytime you cruise things can happen, either with the weather, or an outbreak of flu, etc. Good luck and just take a chance! Have a great cruise.

We love cruising in August/September. We typically find a great deal because it's hurricane season and we have never had any problems. We were rerouted a few times due to hurricanes, but it turned out to be places we would have rather seen, like Key West the last time. I say anytime you cruise things can happen, either with the weather, or an outbreak of flu, etc. Good luck and just take a chance! Have a great cruise.

Attitude is everything. Now to you the rerouting a few times was a non issue. To some, that would be the end of the vacation.

Ok, this is only for experience, I was born and raised in the Caribbean, July and August were not problem for huracans, for us, locals, the bad season are September and October, November sometimes, but then, when you live in the Caribbean, you don't go to the beach in November, it is winter time for us... When I read the stadistics for Huracans they don't match my experience, but I lived there for 25 years and went to the beach every single day on July and August...No guarantee though...

My girlfriends talked me into booking a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan aboard the Serenade August 1, 2010. I know it's Hurricane season and anything can happen, but we'll make the best of it if it does.

Karen

Archived