small blow up pool for 1y/o?

deanna1178

But the problem is that most cruise ship chairs are butted up side-by-side. There isn't any "between" space. Here are a couple quick google-image pix. You'll see that the chair arms are literally touching. I wasn't able to locate any pictures of chairs with tables between them or real space that could be used for a small pool. This leaves ONLY the aisles for pools, and that IS going to impact other people as they move around the already-crowded chairs.

Oh I agree that the chairs ARE either so close they are touching or are infact touching each other. I also know that any parent that has taken the time to 1. think of other passengers and 2. research if they can do what they "thought up" would also be the type of parent that would be more then willing to take the time to remove a chair and take it to a stack of chairs or simply place it where it's not hindering free mobility of their fellow passengers. Now as far as how crowded it is...no one knows that until they get onboard. I've only sailed twice. Once to the bahamas and once to canada. The canada trip had very few people on deck (as expected) but the bahama trip only had crowded decks 2 of the 6 days. I have no idea why. The weather was warm and balmy with the exception of a 3 minute rain storm one day. which btw was the neatest thing I have ever seen. Sun, pouring, sun all in 3 minutes. Deck was dry not 5 minutes later like nothing ever happened. Even on the crowded days there was ample room for the pool between chairs but the parent would have had to tote the water a small distance( which a thoughtful parent probably would have done).

And it's rude to inconvenience your fellow travelers.

Yes, it is. It is rude for all the cruisers not to incovenience anyone.

So, to make sure that doesn't happen, a lounge chair can be removed

to make a place for the small pool. Then everyone gets to enjoy their

cruise, children included. Also, maybe we could get those "chair hoggers"

to give up one of their saved chairs to replace the one moved;) Your

one picture shows plenty of blue towels holding chairs not in use.

I'm only saying that everyone should try and get along and to complain

over a baby in a small blow up pool, out of the way of others, is silly.

goodness!! this just goes to show how different everyone is when traveling ;-)

I appreciate everyone's input! The bottom line is yes cruise ship should provide some type of area for diapered baby's but at this time they don't. If you find it intrusive, then if you see a duck tub or a blow pool, I suggest maybe trying another spot so that it isn't intrusive to you. This is what I do when someone has a radio turned up too loud for my liking...I find somewhere else to put my belongings. Or those that talk very loudly so that you know their entire life story in 5 minutes....I find somewhere else for that too :-P

I really don't feel explaining myself to those who can't seem to comprehend it when I say, we are courteous travelers. People move the chairs all.the.time...either because the sun is in a different direction or they just dont like that particular spot. By the end of the day..those chairs are not nicely lined one on top of the other, lol! but the pics were nice, thank you!

There are SO many other things that could be considered a liability but that goes along with traveling, it is part of it. We don't all think alike nor do we all like the same things and that is something all travelers have to be respectful of when traveling..whether it be on a cruise, all inclusive resort, amusement park...you name it.

My son deserves to have just as much fun as anyone else...does that mean I am going to be disrespectful to the rules set on the ship, absolutely not. But if they can't provide something for him to get wet and splash around in a for 30 minutes and I can, then you can bet I will bring it.

We ALL bring things on vacation that other may think not a necessity, silly or just plain annoying...but it is what it is. That is what happens when you travel...if I didn't want to deal with others and their quirks, then I would stay home but what would be the fun in that!?

I would rather concentrate on enjoying my vacation with my family than a a little blow up pool that I had to take a extra couple of steps to walk around while on my way to the bathroom :-P

Ok well that wasn't what I was expecting. I posted that whole post with sarcasm. I was trying to be helpful in suggesting that placing a pool BETWEEN two deck chairs wouldn't at all be intrusive to any fellow pax. No I'm not a sarcastic person all the time but it just drove me nuts that someone would continue with how intrusive a pool would be when in fact it's the same as having a row of deck chairs. IMHO it'd be more of a hassle for the parent (who'd be willing to take the time/effort) to make a place for the pool then for any passenger to walk by the deck chair. I'm not saying it'd be alot of trouble to make the room just it wouldn't be as simple as flopping down into a chair. And as far as the "cruising isn't for you" that was sarcastic tone as well. I've been trying to stay away from the drama of the carnival board where that seams to be the norm lately. Between that and the "carnival can do no wrong" posts that are there in abundance. So if my sarcastic post struck you the wrong way I appologize. I'm just trying to help over here on the fam boards as much as I can because the "unknowing" can be stressful and vacations are supossed to be fun!

Bbigfoot - my dh and i were rotflol when we read your reply!!!! and you are right...the unknowing and trying to plan in advance best you can when traveling with ones is supposed to be fun :-D thank you!

The only thing I find unfun (if that's a word) about MY planning is the fact I don't get to do enough of it! I usually start planning and get so wrapped up in it that I'm completed in a few short days and then have a LONG time to wait until I get to set the plan into motion. I need to win the lottery....

me too!! i can't tell you how many post it lists I have in different parts of my house so I can remember things!!! if I don't write it down at the moment...it will be gone by the I time I get to my real packing lists and we don't leave for 3 weeks!! if we didn't the need clothes I would be happy to pack the suitcases now, lol!

me too!! i can't tell you how many post it lists I have in different parts of my house so I can remember things!!! if I don't write it down at the moment...it will be gone by the I time I get to my real packing lists and we don't leave for 3 weeks!! if we didn't the need clothes I would be happy to pack the suitcases now, lol!

deanna I hope you and your family enjoy your cruise.

I know I wrote ALOT of stuff down from on here until I remembered that all computes have notepad. It's not the pertiest app to use but it does the job for me. I always make sure I leave a space for an X so when I do finally get to pack I make sure to mark it so I don't double pack or forget anything. I know what you mean though about wanting to pack early. We usually have everything packed and ready to go weeks before the cruise with the exception of needed clothes and daily use things.

Have fun on your cruise and make sure to take a pic of the little one in the duck pool for me please? That way if this comes up again I can show a pic of one in use and how convienent it can be.

Just an idea, but ifyou just want your child to be able to go in the water why dont you bring it to the beach (if your ports are beach destininations). I know we only sit by the pool on the days at sea, so for those 2 days my son will not go in the water. Thanks for the tip of bringng the pool though, I will definitely use it when we get off the boatto go to the beach. This way you avoid the question of it being on the pool deck. PLease see my post about car seats. Thanks!

Just an idea, but ifyou just want your child to be able to go in the water why dont you bring it to the beach (if your ports are beach destininations). I know we only sit by the pool on the days at sea, so for those 2 days my son will not go in the water. Thanks for the tip of bringng the pool though, I will definitely use it when we get off the boatto go to the beach. This way you avoid the question of it being on the pool deck. PLease see my post about car seats. Thanks!

thanks for the suggestion :-D we are going to a port with alot of beaches but there is no way ds would sit contently in the duck tub at the beach...he LOVES the beach and will be crawling around, in the water, playing and trying to eat sand and all over the place (with us or one of right by his side of course :-P).

• 9 months later...

The cruise lines will NEVER be able to provide pools for diapered children. It's simply not sanitary, unless they give each diapered child his or her own disposable one to keep, or unless they make a commitment to provide each diapered child his or her own and then sanitize the heck out of it after each use.

And I have a diapered child, so I'm not some disgruntled non-parent putting in my two cents' worth. I just happen to agree with the cruise lines' policy on this. Diapered kids are diapered because they poop and pee whenever they feel like it, and there will never be a health code that allows such goings-on in enclosed pools where others are going to be floating in it.

I wouldn't let my baby in it anyway. I don't want him floating in his own poop and pee, and certainly not in other kids'. LOL.

The cruise lines will NEVER be able to provide pools for diapered children. It's simply not sanitary, unless they give each diapered child his or her own disposable one to keep, or unless they make a commitment to provide each diapered child his or her own and then sanitize the heck out of it after each use.

And I have a diapered child, so I'm not some disgruntled non-parent putting in my two cents' worth. I just happen to agree with the cruise lines' policy on this. Diapered kids are diapered because they poop and pee whenever they feel like it, and there will never be a health code that allows such goings-on in enclosed pools where others are going to be floating in it.

I wouldn't let my baby in it anyway. I don't want him floating in his own poop and pee, and certainly not in other kids'. LOL.

But some cruise lines DO provide continually filtered pools for diaper-clad kids. Disney, and the Freedom-class ships of RCI offer this.

But some cruise lines DO provide continually filtered pools for diaper-clad kids. Disney, and the Freedom-class ships of RCI offer this.

But they're not really "pools" per se - more like little fountain spray areas, so the water isn't just sitting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to high jack this thread and I know this is a family area and I did come here looking for ideas for friends of mine and came across this post. Anyway you all gave me a great idea -

Bring the Duck Tub with us (61 and 63 year olds), fill it with ice, place in in-between our deck chairs and put our beer :eek: in it - OPPS SORRY I MEANT TO SAY CANS OF SOFT DRINKS :p

Awesome idea don't you think?

inflatable%2Bsafety%2Bduck%2Btub_hero_lg.gif&ei=r_LZS8udEcH68Abh5oRY&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNG516FvyPaMoutANKKWTZrwVueq6w

But they're not really "pools" per se - more like little fountain spray areas, so the water isn't just sitting there.

You're right. But they sound like great venues for babies/toddlers who probably wouldn't feel comfortable in a "pool", anyway. At least it's a place they can sit, crawl, toddle, and play in and get wet and have fun! I think they're a great idea, but understand the costs involved in providing a venue like this on older ships.....on any line. Personally, I wish more of these venues were available on cruise ships. The high prices of the ships offering the TRUE Splash Zones are one reason we decided against cruising with family, which includes a now 15-month old DGD.

Archived