Carnival Dream's Sea Trials

Either that... Or perhaps the captain is attempting to do the aquatic version of sky writing... :)

Ok so question on the propulsion system on the dream... Why does she not have the azipods that other carnival ships do? Thought the whole benefit to those was the increased maneuverability? Looking at pics of the dream on carnival's site looks like she's got the twin screws- no pods.

For those of you who want to track Carnival Dream's every move, you can click on this link here, click the lat/long. numbers and it will give you a map and the ships last reported position and speed.

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=370490000

Looks like a cool link and web site. I can't seem to get it to work with the ship CARNIVAL FANTASY? Is there some trick I need to know about to track other ships? :confused:

I used to have problems too...until I figured out the pickyness of it. When searching for a ship, click on the dark blue 'vessels' tab on top, then click 'search all' in the light blue section and then finally you can type the name of the ship in the search box at left. That is the way I have found to always get it to work right. Its something to do with the automatic 'currently in range' thing when you first get to the 'vessel' search section, which is dumb. Anyway, Carnival Fantasy: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=353486000

I used to have problems too...until I figured out the pickyness of it. When searching for a ship, click on the dark blue 'vessels' tab on top, then click 'search all' in the light blue section and then finally you can type the name of the ship in the search box at left. That is the way I have found to always get it to work right. Its something to do with the automatic 'currently in range' thing when you first get to the 'vessel' search section, which is dumb. Anyway, Carnival Fantasy: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=353486000

Not too cool how they stole my Fantasy picture. :mad:

IMG_5582.JPG

Either that... Or perhaps the captain is attempting to do the aquatic version of sky writing... :)

Ok so question on the propulsion system on the dream... Why does she not have the azipods that other carnival ships do? Thought the whole benefit to those was the increased maneuverability? Looking at pics of the dream on carnival's site looks like she's got the twin screws- no pods.

I remember reading somewhere that the larger ships are much harder on the Azipod systems, they tend to wear out the bearings that mount the pod to the ship. I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.marinelink.com/Story/Podded+Propulsion+Goes+Beyond+the+Cruise+Realm-5906.html

Excerpt: "Carnival, gave podded propulsion its start in the cruise ship domain with the commissioning of the Elation and Paradise in 1998, sparking broader industry uptake of the concept. Subsequent problems experienced with the systems, which led to an out-of-court settlement between ABB Azipod and Carnival at the end of last year, prompted certain design modifications."

Carnival Destiny design begat lot of Carnival ships - Destiny Class, Conquest Class, Splendor and now Dream.

Destiny wasn't designed with Azipods in mind but works. Why mess with something that works?

Also, these ships are built in Italy - not in Finland (or Sweden).

Azipods are not without issues.

Can anyone here translate Italian? I tried, and this is what I came up with:

"Wow, look at that boat! It's big and pretty. And it's getting closer to us! Dad! Dad! Dad! Move the boat! Quickly! Dad! Get out of the way! Is anyone listening to me?"

Thanks a lot! This is neat! :D

Not all Carnival ships have AziPods, in fact only a few do. The last two of the Fantasy class got them (Elation and Paradise), as did all of the Spirit class. Other than those six, the rest all have standard twin screw/rudder design with bow and stern thrusters.

Archived