Canada & New England Cruise - Advice on Tours

Hi,

I posted this message on the main Princess forum but didn’t get a great response although some people helpfully suggested I try here so I thought I would. Maybe the answers are already in this part of the forum and I won’t get many replies to this post either but I’ll give it a go and will also start looking through previous posts in here.

We're off on a cruise in about 3 months time to the above destinations on Crown Princess and I'm trying to find out what people recommend in the way of tours for the various destinations. The ports on our itinerary are Newport; Boston; Bar Harbor; St John; Halifax; Sydney; Port Saguenay and Quebec.

I've gathered that there are some ports that can be done on your own quite easily but I'm not sure we want to travel all that way and just end up walking around different towns and cities.

I'd appreciate advice on what trips to take that let us see the best of the countryside. I know there are some half day trips that would allow us to mix a trip with a walk/bus tour around the port on the same day.

It would be great to hear from folks who have done a similar cruise and can advise what not to miss.

I always like to try to get organised early and find the best places to visit from this and other forums so I'll keep searching and try to decide the best options to get the most from our trip.

Hope to hear from somebody soon as we're getting close to thinking about which tours we want to sign up for.

Del.

HAL's Maasdam is currently doing RT Montreal-Boston cruises that include all the ports you mentioned except what you referred to as "St John" - whether you meant Saint John NB, or St John's NL, it doesn't call there - BTW, the reason I'm calling attention to the spelling is that I often see people ask and receive info about the wrong port.

Maasdam also did a repositioning to Montreal from FLL in May that called at Newport.

When I was researching for these cruises on Maasdam, I found the "Search this Forum" tool led me to all sorts of really useful info about DIY, shorexes and private tours in all the ports - and many of these posts were by local residents who were particularly helpful.

As a previous poster mentioned, do your search on the New England message board for Newport and Bar Harbor, and on this one for the Canadian ports.

Here's one website for Halifax that I found useful for DIY

http://bluediamondtours.com/travelogue/cruiseshipexcursions.php

Thanks for the replies. Luvnorway - just to clarify I took the spelling from the itinerary which is simply St John and in looking again it says NB after.

Our cruise is on Crown Princess so may differ slightly from HA itinerary.

Despite using Cruise Critic for some time I'm still learning - I didn't notice there was a New England section as well. I'll post again there.

I'll also try other searches as recommended here. I like to get the benefit of people's experiences as it helps me decide how we should try to make the best of our ports of call.

D.

I looked on the Princess website and the itinerary lists Saint-John, NB.

I think you will enjoy my blog about Quebec City. I have not updated it but most information is still good.

http://jp2001-travel.blogspot.com/

Halifax and Bar Harbor can also be easily explored by foot. In Halifax, their Citadelle and Museum are within walking distance. Bar Harbor is also lovely to explore by foot and there is a FREE bus that will take you to Acadia National Park (make sure it still runs at the date you will be there).

There are two very nice things to do in Sydney (you will need a car or to take an excursion). Cabot Trail is a highly scenic road on a sunny day. There is also the Fortress of Louisbourg that I recommend.

In Saint-John I would rent a car or take an excursion to Hopewell Rocks, it's an amazing site but a long way from the port area.

Cruising the Saguenay River is very scenic but I don't know what exactly is in this port.

Hi,

I am sure you have found some great info...but I will put in some tidbits from my cruise.

Halifax: RENT A CAR. cheapest way to see everything you want to see. The car rental for Alamo and National is in the hotel that is just a short walk up the street. Get the GPS unit and ask them to plug in the lighthouse, the city gardens and the fort. We were not able to actually get to the boardwalk which I was bumbed about but we started at the fort and the men were so excited that we spent way to much time there. We then went straight to the lighthouse which was about 1.5 hour trip along the coastline or about a 40 min. trip straight to it. We did the coast on the way there and the straight on the way back. We had some of the best crab cakes that I have ever eaten at the resturant next to the lighthouse. We came back and ended the tour at the city gardens. (for anyone who loves anne of green gables the bandstand in the middle of the park is the same one that anne comes upon gilbert in the rain storm and learns that he is engaged.) We could have still made it to the boardwalk before getting back on the ship BUT we were afraid of time and so we did not. Stupid move on our part. I did a lot of checking and searching but I could not find any tour that wanted to do all the things that I wanted to do, then I checked the port info. on CC and I learned that I could rent the car.

QUBEC: It depends on how althetic you are but if you are not a very athletic person then I would suggest taking one of the city tours....OR....take a taxi to the Budget rentals at the airport and then drive the city. It really is a very small old city but everything is on a hill and I have to say that it was some of the most strenuose walking that I had done all week. Lots of stairs....lots and lots of frickin stairs. Especially to get to the fort. DON'T do what I did and take the stairs from the boardwalk by the big grande hotel. Go the street way, much quicker and you don't die on the stairs half way up. I LOVED this city and would have loved to stay there another day to explore the Island, we did not rent the car so did not have the chance to explore said Island...I heard that it is a great drive though.

SYDNEY: Not sure if you go to this port but if so I would recommend one of the tours. We did not do anything and it ended up being a very boring port of call for us. Just ended up at the mall and had my nails done.

We were on the Crown Sept 2008.

Boston took a cab to the Freedom Trail and bought a guide book at the visitors center. They also had tours departing form the visitors center with guides in period costumes.

Bar Harbor took Ollie's Trolley to Arcadia national Park. Loved it and booked it by internet. Then we had a great lobster roll and blueberry beer at a scenic restaurant on the dock. There are many nice places to choose from. Did some shopping too in this cute town.

Halifax we toured the citadel. Looks close but it is uphill. I wished we had taken a cab there and walked back to the ship. We took a cruised sponsored Historic Pub tour in the afternoon.

Newport walked to the visitors center and got info on the public trolley and took it to the cliff walk and enjoyed the scenic trail along the water behind all the great mansions. Stopped and toured the Breaker Mansion and took the trolley back.

Thanks for the replies. Luvnorway - just to clarify I took the spelling from the itinerary which is simply St John and in looking again it says NB after.

D.

The official spelling is "Saint John" to differentiate from St. John's, Newfoundland. Sometimes brochure composers do not know to spell out the "saint" and that causes confusion.

This may not be very helpful since we avoided ship tours and pretty much did things on our own. I learned so much by doing searches on these boards, and also the "Attractions" listings in Trip Advisor for each port (www.tripadvisor.com). The attractions are numbered in order of popularity and many include reviews.

Quebec: Took a cab to the "top", toured the Citadel (worthwhile), then spent the rest of the day meandering back down to the ship. A darling city and my favorite port; just wander and enjoy.

Halifax - Funny how a previous poster said "RENT A CAR" and I am glad we didn't. We didn't bother with Peggy's Cove - I figured, if you've seen a picture, you've seen it. There is much to do and see right in the city. The botanical gardens are not to be missed if you have an interest in gardening. We went to the citadel here too - the museums at this citadel had much more in the way of displays and things to see, also there were ongoing reenactments of training exercises, changing of the guard, bagpipes, etc. The town has such an interesting history and the maritime museum was good.

Charlottetown - we rented a car and drove around. Nice day.

Sydney - we didn't go, but it's my understanding that the Fort of Louisborg is a great place to visit. As you've read, there's not much in town. We did go to a little candy store which was newly opened and had a lot of nostalgiac candies and ice cream.

We did the Canada/New England on the Constellation 3 times and loved it each time. It is our favorite ship. Suggestions: Newport Mansions

Boston - Quincy Market

Acadia National Park

Montmorency Falls in Quebec

Shopping in Quebec

Chateau Frontenac Quebec

Peggy's Cove is a tourist trap. Don't waste your time. You go for a bus ride, bus stops at Peggy's Cove, you get off and there is a small restaurant for you to eat chowder, lobster etc and shop in the gift store. I agree with Laughlady, if you have seen a photo of Peggy's Cove, that's enuf. Don't waste your money. Look up Peggys Cove and look at the picture.

You will definitely enjoy this cruise. I'm jealous.

marlene

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions. They will allow us to work out which ports we will choose to do on our own and which we will take Princess excursions. Very much looking forward to our cruise even if it is two and a half months away!

D.

Hi, we sailed to Halifax and loved the town. We were greated by bagpipers by 8 a.m., before we even got off the ship. We took a cab to the Citadel as it was uphill. We saw the pipers and drills and displays, it was OK. It also gives a pretty view of the harbor and port. From there, we walked a few blocks to the gardens. The ship made no mention of them, but I had researched on line and found out about them. They were free and very pretty. I love gardens, so we were there a while for me to take pictures.

We then walked back to the ship where we had lunch. AFterward, we took another cab to the far end of the boardwalk-only because I was tired from all the walking in the morning, and to save time. We then walked back to the ship. It is a lovely town, and we are going again in September. The cab in town for the 2 of us was no more than $10, far cheaper than renting a car.

Sydney does not have much to offer. We took a bus tour of the Cabot Trail and I am so glad we did as it was partly rainny, cloudy, misty. So it was good to be on the bus. The scenery was still enjoyable, but would have been spectacular in the sunshine.

I hope you enjoy your cruise

Quebec is amazing. Although I recently visited without a ship, it was fun to see the Maasdam along side in the river... what a great location the cruise ships have in Quebec!

My favorite recommendations for a day would be to take a guided tour of the fortifications through Parks Canada ($10, 1 hour). It was amazingly informative and really made us appreciate the history of the region.

For lunch, it's a no brainer: you have to try Aux Anciens Canadiens. The traditional food was exceptional... not French, but Quebecois. Think hearty game and potatoes with lots of maple and good beer. The maple pie has been on my mind for months now!

There's a lot more along with photos to put some of this in context on a post I just through up on my travel blog. You're welcome to visit it if you want more...

http://happyalaskan.blogspot.com/2009/07/quebec-canada-400-years-of-diversity.html

Bon voyage!

How was the cruise sponsored pub tour??

We enjoyed the pub tour in Halifax. Princess called it a historic pub tour. It was overpriced, but fit our needs. We went to 3 or 4 pubs. First we boarded a modern coach bus right at the port area. We were all given these silly yellow seamens hats to wear. Then We took a short drive to the first destination. A bagpiper followed us throughout the tour. A duo of folk musicians were at the first place and traveled on with us. They told funny stories throughout their music. Each stop you got a small beer & then bought the rest on your own.

We walked to the other two stops by following the bagpiper through the crowded streets. All of us following behind in our yellow hats.

I think this was around $60 pp. I can't recall the amount, so for what it was it was overpriced, but we didn't regret doing it. We were looking for a fun enjoyable time and it was. We had done the Canada/New England itinerary once before too. We found it to be a much much older sedate crowd and this provided a group of outgoing friendly people. It was our last port and it would have been great if it had been earlier as it would have been a nice way to meet some people early on. You figure anyone who wants to go on something like this is likely to have a fun easy going personality.

Also there is a tour of the Alexander Keith Brewery that we had done previously, just by walking in. That one is more informative and is a tour with people in old fashioned costumes. This one was more of a social thing and less "historic" in nature.

Hope this helps, sorry I didn't notice your post earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny that someone mentioned that Peggy's Cove was a tourist trap. I went online a couple of days ago and saw that their 24hr video of the lighthouse shows that there is scaffolding all around it - doesn't bode well for the tourist photo op.

Funny that someone mentioned that Peggy's Cove was a tourist trap. I went online a couple of days ago and saw that their 24hr video of the lighthouse shows that there is scaffolding all around it - doesn't bode well for the tourist photo op.

The lighthouse was receiving a badly needed paint job. It was reported on the news the other night that they would be finished in a day or so. The weather was so bad in the early spring that this is the first window of opportunity they have had to spruce it up. It was unfortunate that it had to happen at the height of the tourist season.

Peggy's Cove is a lovely spot---very natural and picturesque. The only place that might be called a tourist trap is the gift shop---but aren't they all?;)

The lighthouse was receiving a badly needed paint job. It was reported on the news the other night that they would be finished in a day or so. The weather was so bad in the early spring that this is the first window of opportunity they have had to spruce it up. It was unfortunate that it had to happen at the height of the tourist season.

Peggy's Cove is a lovely spot---very natural and picturesque. The only place that might be called a tourist trap is the gift shop---but aren't they all?;)

We were at Peggy's Cove this past Thursday and they were removing the scaffolding while we were standing there. A little disappointed on taking pictures but it was still very beautiful. I think well worth the drive over.

Archived