Murano and Burano

jstducky

I will be buying a 24 hour vaporetto pass once I get to Venice.

My plan is to walk out of the port and over to Piazzale Roma to the nearest vaporetto stop

My question is: does anyone know how to get from P. Roma to Murano or Burano? From looking at the map, it seems like the easiest way to get to either island from Venice is the vaporetto stop at Fondamente Nove - but that's a far way from P. Roma.

Also, what vaporetto stop on Murano do you get off of for the glass factories?

Do they run glass blowing demonstrations all day? Do they charge to view a demonstration? Do they hard sell you to buy their goods?

Thanks!

I believe that it is the Number 18 vaporetto that goes all the way to Lido, Murano and, Burano. The map is in Italian but the routes are numbered. Also, everyone speaks English so you can ask directions and get answers easily.

http://www.actv.it/pdf/estratto_linee.pdf

They are very small islands, Murano has 4 stops and it does not matter which one you get off on and Burano only has one stop.

The glass blowing goes on all day all over the island and you bet, they will hard sell you to buy something in the attached shops. Not as hard as at Direct Buy or a Used car lot but close LOL.

Jstducky,

From Piazza Roma, you can take vaporetto # 41, 42 or DM to Murano.

If you get off at Murano's Museo stop, you will see a pharmacy close by. Just turn right at the corner & you will see a black iron gate -just walk down that alley :there is a free murano glass demo there. I forgot the name of the store.

Mind you, if you are interested in seeing all the glasswork that shop sells, you can walk into the store (2 floors). I really like the fact that you are under no pressure to buy anything from that store. I discovered this place on my last cruise when I was not interested in paying to see a demo.

Happy cruising !

Does the day pass for vaporetto include DM?

Once we are in Piazza Roma:

Can you give rough ball park guesses how long would a round trip to Murano take (including waiting and journey time for the vaporetto) if one spends one hour there?

And how much time to allow with one hour stay in Murano and one-hour stay in Burano for the whole trip including waits and travel time.

Just a guess.

Jstducky,

From Piazza Roma, you can take vaporetto # 41, 42 or DM to Murano.

Happy cruising !

Yes.

Can you give rough ball park guesses how long would a round trip to Murano take (including waiting and journey time for the vaporetto) if one spends one hour there?

DM is the quickest route of all 3 (DM, 41,42). It only takes 28 minutes.

And how much time to allow with one hour stay in Murano and one-hour stay in Burano for the whole trip including waits and travel time.

Most people either get off at Murano's Museo or Faro stop. Last time I got off at Museio & wandered my way down to Faro. Please note you can only go to Burano from Faro. The ride takes ~45 min.

You can also go to Torcello from Burano. The ride is only 5 min on T. Please note that T only runs twice an hour.

Enjoy your cruise ! Have a terrific time !

Jstducky,

I just realize you are cruising Ruby this month ! Have a great trip ! I will also be on Ruby in August !

thanks truffles!

i can't wait. this will be my second mediterranean cruise, but first time to venice!

i'm excited about murano and burano!

have a great time on your cruise as well!

Sultan_sfo : You are welcome ! I just want to share my info.

Jstducky: You will love Venice !

Wow ! What a coincidence ! I am sure we will all have a great time on Ruby. My cruise begins in Venice & ends in Barcelona.

By the way, don't forget to get your free tickets to visit Basilica of San Marco.

Go to www.basilicasanmarco.it

Go to the english site

Put in your date & time you want to visit

Print your ticket

Have a fantastic cruise !

Sultan_sfo : You are welcome ! I just want to share my info.

Jstducky: You will love Venice !

Wow ! What a coincidence ! I am sure we will all have a great time on Ruby. My cruise begins in Venice & ends in Barcelona.

By the way, don't forget to get your free tickets to visit Basilica of San Marco.

Go to www.basilicasanmarco.it

Go to the english site

Put in your date & time you want to visit

Print your ticket

Have a fantastic cruise !

Barcelona! I love it there! It's one of my favorite cities. I started my 1st Med cruise there a few years back!

Thanks for the link to the Basilica. I have booked my tickets and received an email confirmation.

Do you know where I go with my confirmation ticket? Do I just walk up to the front door and I can get in with my ticket?

Thanks sooooo much for your help!

Barcelona! I love it there! It's one of my favorite cities. I started my 1st Med cruise there a few years back!

Thanks for the link to the Basilica. I have booked my tickets and received an email confirmation.

Do you know where I go with my confirmation ticket? Do I just walk up to the front door and I can get in with my ticket?

Thanks sooooo much for your help!

Jstducky,

You are welcome.

The entrance to the basilica for ticket holders is at the door of San Pietro. You go in where the green arrow is (as indicated at the the basilica's web site: info page).

Have a good summer !

Yes.

DM is the quickest route of all 3 (DM, 41,42). It only takes 28 minutes.

Most people either get off at Murano's Museo or Faro stop. Last time I got off at Museio & wandered my way down to Faro. Please note you can only go to Burano from Faro. The ride takes ~45 min.

You can also go to Torcello from Burano. The ride is only 5 min on T. Please note that T only runs twice an hour.

Enjoy your cruise ! Have a terrific time !

Our ship gets in at 1 PM and I have directions to P. Roma to buy tickets for vaparetto. I see from the schedule that DM goes from P. Roma Scomenzera. Is there only one stop there at P. Roma? The same stop for the #1 which goes through the grand canal?

Jstducky,

I forgot to tell you how to get to Burano.

From Murano's Faro stop, you have to catch LN to Burano.

Have fun !

How long should I plan in walking through Murano seeing the glass making (and maybe some shopping). Then off to Burano (understand they are known for lace). How long should I plan for Burano? I am with about 10 to 12 others and they are relying on me to put together a "plan"? Also want to be back to ship for dinner.

We spent two weeks in Venice last year in an apartment stay. We took a day and visited Murano and another day to Burano. I can't imagine you could possibly visit both in the same day from a cruise ship, AND expect to see anything of Venice in between. Unless of course you have already been to Venice before. Be advised it takes a long time to get anywhere in Venice, since frequently the vaparettos are full when they arrive at your stop , and one has to wait for the next one. If you feel you must visit one of these islands, I would choose Murano over Burano, though we enjoyed both.

Last time I got into Venice at about 1pm. Upon arrival I bought a 24 hr vaporetto ticket & got onto vaporetto #42 @ P. Roma. Piazzale le Roma is the main vaporetto station. You can catch different vaporetto (think of it as a main vaporetto terminal) to different places. I immediately went to Murano. Even though DM is faster but when I got to P . Roma Vaporetto #42 was the next one going to Murano. I did not want to wait for a later DM vaporetto. I got off at Murano 's Museo stop & watched a free glass demo (directions in earlier posting) did a bit of sightseeing. The demo was continuous: I started watching it in the middle. Then I continued watching it until I realize the demo was repeating. It is not a set tour. You just watch the tech & listen to the him explain what was going on. There were two technicians taking turns doing the demo. You can leave & go any time. I walked into their store & found things to be expensive. Then I wandered down to Murano's Faro station. From there I caught LN to Burano. Burano was very interesting. I actually wanted to go to Torcello afterwards but because I had just missed the ride (ride was only 5 minutes but it ran only twice /hour) I decided to go to St. Mark's Square & Rialto Bridge. I wandered around there for only 1 hour & then headed back to P. Roma. I managed to make it to dinner in the traditional dining room. Mind you, there were not many people in the dining room that night. I wanted to do Murano & Burano as soon as I got to Venice because I wanted to play it safe for the ship was sailing next day at 3pm. I have been to Venice 4 times but I have never been to Murano & Burano on my own (previous times I joined tours).

The next day I headed out early to Rialto Bridge & St. Marks Square again. I went on vaporetto # 82 (from P. Roma). After about two hours, I took vaporetto #41 from S. Zaccaria & went to Murano again. I actually did not plan on going back to Murano that day but I ran into my tablemate who spent all her time in St. Marks Square & visiting churches the day before so I went there with her. It was a just a quick trip to Murano. We got off at Murano's Colonna & went shopping for about 1 1/2 hours. We took vaporetto #41 back to Piazzale le Roma.

It took us about 15 min to walk back to the ship. We had a late lunch.

Then we watched the ship sail out of Venice.

I did all my planning before I left home. I printed out all the maps (Venice: Rialto Bridge area, St. Mark's Sq area, Murano, Burano)& vaporetto schedule.

I've been to Venice several times. I love Murano glass and have lots of it. However, I've always found the prices better in Venice than in Murano. Also, in terms of scenic beauty while strolling around, I find Burano nicer than Murano. So, my ideal day in Venice is to plan to shop for Murano glass in Venice proper (there is no lack of glass shops!!), and to plan to spend a nice two or three hours in Burano. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!! I have to wait until next summer, when I'll be back in Venice on the Ruby Princess.

Joan

I would appreciate any help on where it is best to buy lace. I have been to Venice before, including Murano & Burano where I bought some lace. I would love some more but did not particularly want to go to Burano as our time is rather limited. Can anyone suggest somewhere in Venice where I could purchase some without paying a loaded price. I know you can buy Murano glass cheaper away from St Mark's square so guess the same will apply to lace. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Misty

We just took a cruise that included an overnight at Venezia. The RCCL cruise line docks far away from the main area to catch a valporetto Approx 25 min walk. RCCL shuttle service cost 10$ for one way or $35 for 2 day. From the Piazza Roma we got a full day valporetto ticket. We were suppose to get on 5 to go directly to Murano but a local told me it wasn't working that day. We had to take a 41 or 42 and followed him to Murano and took the first stop to try and see the glass factory (which we never did find asking multiple different times for directions. It seemed like there was more that one because it seemed like we went different directions) I was told it was easy to get lost in Veneze but that was everywhere even with a map! We later found the stop to go to Burano. Yes there is lace and glass. Prices vary. Don't know if we purchased official Murano glass and Burano lace or "made in china". Unless you go to a very expensive "certified Murano glass dealer." They know tourist. We didn't realize we missed the last at 5:20 for a more direct valporetto back to Piazza Roma. It took 2 hours to eventually get back on the cruise liner. This was the reason we did this on the day with less time restraints. Even the best made plans can change, moreso in Italy than what we are used to in the US. Hope this helps.

We just took a cruise that included an overnight at Venezia. The RCCL cruise line docks far away from the main area to catch a valporetto Approx 25 min walk. RCCL shuttle service cost 10$ for one way or $35 for 2 day. From the Piazza Roma we got a full day valporetto ticket. We were suppose to get on 5 to go directly to Murano but a local told me it wasn't working that day. We had to take a 41 or 42 and followed him to Murano and took the first stop to try and see the glass factory (which we never did find asking multiple different times for directions. It seemed like there was more that one because it seemed like we went different directions) I was told it was easy to get lost in Veneze but that was everywhere even with a map! We later found the stop to go to Burano. Yes there is lace and glass. Prices vary. Don't know if we purchased official Murano glass and Burano lace or "made in china". Unless you go to a very expensive "certified Murano glass dealer." They know tourist. We didn't realize we missed the last at 5:20 for a more direct valporetto back to Piazza Roma. It took 2 hours to eventually get back on the cruise liner. This was the reason we did this on the day with less time restraints. Even the best made plans can change, moreso in Italy than what we are used to in the US. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information especially about the distance from the RCI dock to the vaporetto. Sounds like the shuttle would be worth the expense.

If you could only chose one; which would you chose Murano or Burano?

Also, could you buy the vaporetto pass onboard or do you have to go to Piazza Roma to purchase it?

Leaving in August and very excited.

Kathy:)

Last time I got into Venice at about 1pm. Upon arrival I bought a 24 hr vaporetto ticket & got onto vaporetto #42 @ P. Roma. Piazzale le Roma is the main vaporetto station. You can catch different vaporetto (think of it as a main vaporetto terminal) to different places. I immediately went to Murano. Even though DM is faster but when I got to P . Roma Vaporetto #42 was the next one going to Murano. I did not want to wait for a later DM vaporetto. I got off at Murano 's Museo stop & watched a free glass demo (directions in earlier posting) did a bit of sightseeing. The demo was continuous: I started watching it in the middle. Then I continued watching it until I realize the demo was repeating. It is not a set tour. You just watch the tech & listen to the him explain what was going on. There were two technicians taking turns doing the demo. You can leave & go any time. I walked into their store & found things to be expensive. Then I wandered down to Murano's Faro station. From there I caught LN to Burano. Burano was very interesting. I actually wanted to go to Torcello afterwards but because I had just missed the ride (ride was only 5 minutes but it ran only twice /hour) I decided to go to St. Mark's Square & Rialto Bridge. I wandered around there for only 1 hour & then headed back to P. Roma. I managed to make it to dinner in the traditional dining room. Mind you, there were not many people in the dining room that night. I wanted to do Murano & Burano as soon as I got to Venice because I wanted to play it safe for the ship was sailing next day at 3pm. I have been to Venice 4 times but I have never been to Murano & Burano on my own (previous times I joined tours).

The next day I headed out early to Rialto Bridge & St. Marks Square again. I went on vaporetto # 82 (from P. Roma). After about two hours, I took vaporetto #41 from S. Zaccaria & went to Murano again. I actually did not plan on going back to Murano that day but I ran into my tablemate who spent all her time in St. Marks Square & visiting churches the day before so I went there with her. It was a just a quick trip to Murano. We got off at Murano's Colonna & went shopping for about 1 1/2 hours. We took vaporetto #41 back to Piazzale le Roma.

It took us about 15 min to walk back to the ship. We had a late lunch.

Then we watched the ship sail out of Venice.

I did all my planning before I left home. I printed out all the maps (Venice: Rialto Bridge area, St. Mark's Sq area, Murano, Burano)& vaporetto schedule.

so how long were you on Murano and how long on Burano. I am putting together a schedule for the afternoon of 5 Nov. My idea is to get off the ship and pick up my vaparetto tickets and get on the DM and go to Murano for ???(how long). Then to take the LN to Burano (for how long) and then take the longer route back to see the lights of the grand canal etc and still get back to the ship to have dinner, probably around 8 PM. We overnight in Venice and then get off the ship on the 6th when we will do the St. Marks square etc. Just want to get as many pictures of the places as I can. I also understand that there are other things to see on Murano other than glass. I think they said there is a museum of glass there.

Thank you for the information especially about the distance from the RCI dock to the vaporetto. Sounds like the shuttle would be worth the expense.

If you could only chose one; which would you chose Murano or Burano?

Also, could you buy the vaporetto pass onboard or do you have to go to Piazza Roma to purchase it?

Leaving in August and very excited.

Kathy:)

go to website veniceconnected dot com and buy in advance. Less money and you pick up voucher at one of their ticket booths with the voucher. You can have 24,36,48 hour depending on how long you will be there and how often you plan to take the vaparetto's.

Archived